The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2014, 07:48 AM   #1
k2j2006

Ithaca Model 37

I was given a Ithaca Model 37, that has apparently been in our family for some time. After doing some research, I found that the serial number is SUPPOSED to be on the right side of the receiver, near the bottom. However, it is not there. Another site says that it could be by the trigger guard; not there either. I did find 5 numbers on the receiver right where the barrel goes in. However, after looking up these numbers on a Ithaca site, the gun would have been produced in 1901, and I just don't thing the gun is that old.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by k2j2006; August 24, 2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old August 24, 2014, 10:03 AM   #2
JWT

Serial numbers were not mandatory on guns prior to 1968. If yours was made in 1901 it won't have one.
Old August 24, 2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

The serial number on my Model 37 is on the right side face of the receiver - where the barrel and the tube magazine enter the receiver. That's the spot where you found it.

The serial number should match the serial number stamped on the barrel(s).

Give us the serial number (you can X out the last two digits if you wish), and we can possibly help with the dating of the shotgun. You should be able to find it here: http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf (scroll down to page 5)

(BTW, I don't think the Model 37 would be in the Curio and Relic category, and your question would be better answered in the Shotgun forum anyway, so I've moved it there.)

[Added]
JWT, the Model 37 was produced from 1937 on. That's why k2j2006 was puzzled about the dating of it.
Old August 24, 2014, 11:37 AM   #4
eastbank

i think C&R firearmes are any over 50 years old, if so any made before 1964 would be C&R legal. eastbank.
Old August 24, 2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Virginian

There's more to it than just age. I am quite sure my 1963 Remington 1100 does not fall in the C&R category, nor does an Ithaca 37. While serial numbers were not required before 1968, many manufacturers, including Remington, Ithaca, Browning and others did serial number their guns.
Old August 24, 2014, 08:42 PM   #6
eastbank

yes your 1963 rem 1100 shotgun is a C&R. the feds say many firearm made over fifty years ago are C&R. eastbank.
Old August 24, 2014, 08:49 PM   #7
k2j2006

Thanks for the info Mal H. I was able to find out it was made in 1942. The barrel number is not the same as the receiver, but still made in the same year.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. My first post, and haven't figured it all out yet.
Old August 25, 2014, 05:13 AM   #8
drcook

Serial nbrs on Ithaca 37's should fall into this pattern

1. 855,000 and beyond.

I spoke about that here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550432

This is at the change to the way the barrels attached to the frame. These are at the bottom right of the receiver, above the trigger guard. This is an immediate identification method that the gun is an interchangeable barrel model, keeping in mind that there are 2 3/4" receivers and 3" receivers. A 3" chambered barrel will fit and work fine on a 2 3/4" receiver but of course, can only chamber 2 3/4" shells.

you can identify the switch over to the 3" receivers by the word MAG- as either a suffix or as a prefix. most had it as a prefix. My early 3" 12ga says MAG-87xxxxxxxxxx

in time the word MAG was removed from the serial nbr. measuring the receiver is another way to determine which shell the gun was set up for. Ithaca added 1/4" to the receiver and selected components to allow the chambering/ejection of a 3" shell.

which leads into the fact that there are later production guns with "37" in the serial nbr, ie: M37xxxxxxx and guns with "87" in the serial nbr, ie: MAG-87xxxxxxxx,

the 87 is simply a year designator when the company resumed production (after a bancruptcy - or sale to a new owner, I would have to go read which, I simply don't remember). the 87 was subsequently changed back to 37.

there are some Model 38's. these were 37's with some short lived mods that simply didn't work out. the serial number will be 38xxxxxxxxxx. the barrel will also say Model 38

2. prior to 855,000

the serial nbr was on the front face of the receiver, as has been found and discussed. the receiver and barrel serial nbr "should" match each other. There are thoughts that there were a few that slipped out of the factory where the serial nbrs got out of sequence and then were caught, but the barrels were fitted to the receivers correctly, it was the nbr that was off.

depending on the year of the gun, the barrel serial nbr can have the choke designation as part of the nbr (with a dash) or the -nbr can be above or below the serial nbr.

I have Ithacas that are stamped both ways (part of, separate from)

Ithaca's "dash nbrs, -1, -2 and -4) are improved cylinder, mod and full, respectively. I have not seen nor read about a -3, but I could look into my book and see if it exists (I have the history of the Ithaca 37 as written by Walt Snyder - the official Ithaca historian, he also wrote a book on the rest of the guns and Ithaca itself)

on the older guns, a barrel could have been fitted to the receiver by a gunsmith, but other than the possible few that simply had the sequencing get out of order, having a barrel from one pre-855,000 gun fit another pre-855,000 is like hitting more than a couple numbers of the lottery. There always is a chance but the odds are slim due to the guns being spread around the country/world.

pre-855,000 barrels used a helical thread and having the lead for the threads on the receiver and the same on the barrel starting in exactly the same spot on more than one receiver/barrel set is possible, just not likely.
Old August 25, 2014, 05:31 AM   #9
Virginian

Quote:
yes your 1963 rem 1100 shotgun is a C&R. the feds say many firearm made over fifty years ago are C&R. eastbank.
I stand corrected. Been a long time since I had to worry about that stuff. It only comes into play at all if someone has a C&R license in any event.
Old August 25, 2014, 09:36 AM   #10
natman

Quote:
Serial numbers were not mandatory on guns prior to 1968. If yours was made in 1901 it won't have one.
It's true that serial numbers weren't mandatory prior to 1968, but many manufacturers provided them anyway. Ithaca stamped the serial numbers on thousands of 37s just where the OP found his, on the front edge of the receiver.
Old August 25, 2014, 12:59 PM   #11
jaguarxk120

It's funny, usually the lower priced guns do not have serial numbers, but the old Crescent single barrel shotguns are serial numbered and many of the low priced import doubles have numbers.

Many guns sold by retailors (price point guns) do not have numbers.
Old August 26, 2014, 06:39 AM   #12
eastbank

after 1968 all firearms sold in the USA were to have serial numbers, but i,m sure some did not. I SHOULD HAVE SAID NEW FIREARMS,SORRY. eastbank.

Last edited by eastbank; August 26, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old August 26, 2014, 05:56 PM   #13
Virginian

Applied to new guns only, and could not be applied retroactively. Thank you again Founding Fathers. Article 1, Section 9 - There shall be no ex post facto laws !
Old August 26, 2014, 07:12 PM   #14
eastbank

domistic violence laws have been applied reto to gun ownership. i have a friend who plead no contest to that 10-12 years ago, still says he didn,t do it and that his then wife was out to get him and called the police and said he hit here and threatened her. he did no time only a fine and years later he got a letter from the police saying his ccw was revoced and that he was not allowed to own a firearm or have one in his house. eastbank.
Old August 26, 2014, 08:04 PM   #15
Virginian

Yes they threw out the book when it came to domestic violence laws. And guns were a key element. All your rights can be stripped at the drop of a hat and no proof or conviction is required. My ex wife told the judge I had never hit her in 32 years, but she was afraid I might, and I got hit with a restraining order and was not allowed to have any firearms in my possession. Fortunately all the guns got the word and mysteriously hid somewhere. The original charge of assault was dropped because the judge agreed he had never seen an assault victim where their only marks were bruised wrists where I restrained her from hitting me before either. I escaped with no record.
Pleading no contest had the same effect as being found guilty. Only way you can clear it is to petition to have your record expunged. I wish him good luck.