The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2014, 11:14 AM   #1
gyvel

M3 Benelli operation

Although I have had many people tell me that my Benelli M3 is working exactly the way it should, I still find it unnerving that the breech opens up partially when the gun is in the pump mode. And I don't mean just an unlocked breech. It opens a good 3/4" or so.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else around here with an M3 to compare mine with.

Does this bother anyone else?
SIFE
Old August 4, 2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

What do mean by "pump mode"? Since asking I answered my own question.
Old August 5, 2014, 06:11 AM   #3
gyvel

Quote:
What do mean by "pump mode"? Since asking I answered my own question.
I presume you looked up how an M3 operates and saw that it can run as an auto loader or pump.

What happens in the pump mode is that the breech automatically opens a good 1/2-3/4 inch after firing, which is disconcerting to say the least.

Benelli uses an odd, if not innovative, inertia system to keep the breech locked, but, when firing in pump mode, your hand also travels back with the forearm after each shot as the breech opens, contrary to virtually any other pump shotgun. That tells me that there is still back pressure operating within the barrel.

I've talked to many people about this, including Benelli, and they all say that this is "normal" operation, but is sure does take some getting used to. I half expect the back end of the shell to blow out.

I hope someone else with an M3 chimes in here.
SIFE
Old August 16, 2014, 01:07 PM   #4
gyvel

Well, so far, no one seems versant on this Benelli feature.
SIFE
Old August 16, 2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Virginian

Any good pump will open after you fire it. My Wingmaster will eject the shell if you shoot it one handed. When the hammer falls the slide is unlocked, and the recoil throws the fore end to the rear. Perfectly normal.
Old August 16, 2014, 03:51 PM   #6
jmr40

Never used the M-3, but my 870's and other pumps I've shot do the same. I don't see why there should be a concern.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:03 AM   #7
gyvel

Quote:
Any good pump will open after you fire it. My Wingmaster will eject the shell if you shoot it one handed. When the hammer falls the slide is unlocked, and the recoil throws the fore end to the rear. Perfectly normal.
It was my understanding on an 870 (see my other comment below) that the bolt was firmly locked into the barrel extension until the slide arm was actuated. Now the Benelli M3 has some funky inertia system that's supposed to keep the bolt closed until the slide arm is moved, or so I thought. When the gun is fired in pump mode, it forcibly takes your hand that is on the forearm back with it. That to me is disconcerting, as it absolutely contrary to any other pump I have fired.

Perhaps it is just an idiosyncrasy of the design, but it still bothers me. It just doesn't feel..."normal."

Quote:
Never used the M-3, but my 870's and other pumps I've shot do the same. I don't see why there should be a concern.
Wow! Your bolt actually gets blown open 1/2 to 3/4"??? I have couple of 870s and one el cheapo Norinco clone and none of them have ever done that. Or at least I was never aware that they did so. Now, I'll have to get them all out and closely observe what they do.

And I am going to try shooting them one handed to see what happens; I'm really curious now.

As an addendum, the M3 was an impulse buy a few years back. My adopted son is a county sheriff and had a Benelli M1 which I liked. I saw the M3 for sale at a reasonable price from a Texas LEO on Gunbroker, and the idea of dual function appealed to me. It had very little apparent use when I got it and now I think I know why. Also, it only functions in SA mode with high brass shells.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; August 17, 2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old August 17, 2014, 08:10 AM   #8
g.willikers

Here's a recent discussion on how pumps operate, and what keeps the action closed or allows it to open.
While it's not addressed to the Benelli, it helps explain things.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549965
Old August 18, 2014, 11:28 AM   #9
gyvel

Thanks, g. but I am pretty well aware of how the locks on most pumps work.

What freaks me out about this Benelli is the bolt forcibly blowing open that far after firing. Benelli and everyone else assures me this is normal operation, but I still can't get used to it. When you fire, you can actually feel your hand on the foreend being taken back with it. I don't like that and I'm not comfortable with it.

I've got a bunch of pumps ranging from a Norinco 870 clone, Rem. 870s, Marlin 120s, Ithaca 37s, Win. 97s and 12s, and a couple of old Hi-Standards and none of them behave like that.

However, I'm still going to try firing the 870 one-handed and see what happens.
SIFE