The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2014, 11:36 PM   #1
davery25

Tikka T3 magazine mod

Has anyone ever attempted to modify the stock magazine that comes with a Tikka T3?

I've just purchased a t3 varmint in 223 because of its 8' twist barrel and have found that the magazine stops you from shooting the 80 grain SMKs or A-max's unless they're seated VERY deeply which isn't desirable.

AI bottom metal kits and the magazines will cost around $350 down here in Australia so I don't want to go down that path.

Cheers

D'Avery
Old August 2, 2014, 04:59 AM   #2
tangolima

If the round is loaded longer than the max oal spec, I don't see how you can modify the mag to fit.

There are 2 possible solutions.

Single shot doesn't cost anything. I bet you have figured that one out.

You would also consider setting back the barrel to take out some of the leade in the chamber, so that you don't have to load the rounds long to touch the lands.

-TL
Old August 2, 2014, 05:50 AM   #3
Jim Watson

The 80 grain .22s are not meant to be shot from the magazine.
Lyman OAL for 80 gr SMK is 2.55" which is way over.

The heaviest magazine length bullets are the 77 grain SMKs.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:55 AM   #4
taylorce1

Yes you can do it, but it probably won't work for you anyway. Just modifying the magazine to accept longer coal is the first step. You might have to fabricate a new follower to keep the rounds from tipping in the opened up magazine. You'll need to rework your bolt stop and more than likely your throat as well. If you don't modify the bolt stop to give your bolt more rearward travel, you probably won't strip the next cartridge from the magazine.

Once you fix your magazine and feeding issues, then more than likely you'll need a gunsmith to cut you a new throat. Without the barrel being chambered for your now longer round you'll probably be jamming the bullet into the lands. This will increase pressure, but I seriously doubt it'll blow up a Tikka, what it will do is probably pull your bullets from the case when ejecting a live round. It'll dump powder down your magazine and action then require a cleaning rod to remove the stuck bullet.