The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 28, 2014, 04:10 PM   #1
taylorce1

GECO 1933 trainer I think?

I was at a gun show yesterday and saw a little military trainer in 5.4mm or .22 lr as we in America call it and had to have it. It helped the seller was willing to deal and the price was right on it as well. It needs a safety as that part is missing, but it's a cool little CRF with actual claw extractor. Near as I can tell it's a GECO 1933 pictures I found online.

Here are the pictures I was able to take last night with my cell.

Here are all the markings it has, sorry best I could do with my cell.

It has two locking lugs in the rear, this is a picture of the second lug, the other is the bolt handle.

Picture fo the claw extractor, cute little bugger.

The whole thing with the sporterized stock. The ramp on the rear sight is marked from 25-200 and I'm guessing that is in meters.

Anyone know a good source for parts? I tried good ol’ Numrich and they had nada.
Old July 29, 2014, 03:26 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Deutsches Sportmodell (German Sports Model) was the brainchild of a Nazi group called the "Fachamt Schießen in Deutschen Reichsbund für Leibesügungen", which translates to something like "Shooting Section of the German National Organization for Physical Training".

In 1934, Hitler was still pretending to observe the terms of the Versailles Treaty, and so making full power military rifles was forbidden. But there was no ban on making .22 caliber "sporting" rifles, and if those rifles happened to look and work a lot like the military K.98k (still to be officially adopted), so what? And if shooting the .22's helped train members of the future Wehrmacht, again so what?

All the German arms makers were ordered to produce those rifles, so we see them made by Geco, Walther, Mauser, etc. Per the specifications, all Sportmodell rifles had full length military type stocks, sling attachments and cleaining rods. The Geco one I had even had a bayonet lug that took the standard K.98k bayonet.

Like many of its big brother K.98k bringbacks, that DSM has had the foreend cut down and the sling hole in the stock filled in, reducing its value considerably.

You can google "deutsches sportmodell" for a lot more information, including good pictures.

Jim

Last edited by James K; July 29, 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old July 30, 2014, 07:17 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

For restoration purposes

I'd have a stockmaker make me a reproduction stock.

Better yet, find a piece of wood and take a NRA summer class to make your own. If you're on the Santa Fe Trail, Trinidad State in Colorado may be the closest NRA summer gunsmithing school.
Old July 30, 2014, 11:47 PM   #4
taylorce1

Trinidad is 90 miles away, but unfortunately I don't get that kind of vacation that I could take a class.
Old July 31, 2014, 11:00 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

You could contact them and ask if someone can put the existing stock on the duplicator and make a pre-inletted stock for you. Then you could do it at your leisure.
Old July 31, 2014, 09:07 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I hit this site in searching. It is in England and I don't know the price or shipping costs or even if they will ship to the US, but FYI.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on that DSM, though, unless you got a really good deal. They are pretty common and even in really good shape only bring about $500-600.

Jim
Old July 31, 2014, 10:38 PM   #7
taylorce1

James K, what site is that? I'm willing to spend a little money on it, but i need to shoot it first to see if it's worth any money. I only spent $100 on it out the door at the gunshow so I have some wiggle room.

I found Fox-Military, this guy is from Poland from what I understand. For $300 US he'll import me a repro stock. However I've as yet to locate the metal hardware.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:44 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

$300 is cheaper than having a custom stockmaker make you that stock
Old August 1, 2014, 10:37 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is the site, and I apologize for my error in not including it above.

I think I would go for that stock and restore the rifle. I once had a DSM (I think also Geco) barrelled action with no stock. I couldn't find a stock and finally sold the barrelled action to a guy who had a stock but not the rest. I would rather have done it the other way, but his offer was good, so I took it.

Jim
Old August 1, 2014, 12:40 PM   #10
gyvel

Didn't that guy "Fox-Military" get some bad press while back about something or other? Or am I thinking of another guy in Poland?
SIFE
Old August 1, 2014, 01:50 PM   #11
taylorce1

Yeah, guy delivers but is slow and lead times forever and a day. I just don't like the fact you pay in full and have to wait. I'm not opposed to paying a deposit, but I hate paying in full and not receiving a product.

Then the research I'd have to do to make sure I got everything correct seems daunting. Trying to figure out the proper markings on the wood and if there are any variations to the metal I'd have to figure out. I just want to make sure if I do this I do it right.