The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1
michaeljohn

springfield, savage arms 67H

I am trying to find out if I can get synthetic stock to fit my old Savage 67H 12 guage pump. I love the gun but the stock is shot and I want to replace it with a synthetic has anyone tried and if so did it take much modification
Old January 9, 2010, 11:31 PM   #2
jlv08

There is next to nothing for this shotgun as far as plastic or "tactical" aftermarket accessories. Gunparts has a military style stock that has a shortened length of pull and that is all I have seen form this style of shotgun.

They do have the commercial replacement stocks on hand, last time I checked. Standard length of pull.

Some of the 67's that are patterned after the older model 30 savage have non removable barrels, or solid frames if you will, meaning that the barrel is screwed into the reciever.

I have one of these older guns in the form of a Westpoint Model 167 or 67 h. I can't remember which and this old shotgun has killed a slew of deer in its previous owners possesion and I got it in a trade, cleaned it up, cold blued it real good and now use it for a bump in the night alternative weapon among other guns that I have. The only "tactical" addition is a barrel amputated to 20 inched for social work and slug shooting by the previous owner.

You will probably going to have to relegate your shotgun to another use or sell it and get a Remington or a Mossberg. I would suggest a Pardner Protector in black plastic as these are good to go outa the box.

To conclude, the gun you have is a decent ,field grade shotgun and should do well in that realm. It seems from your post that you would like to build up a "tactical" shotgun and the 67h is not a very good choice in that regard due to the aforementioned reasons.

Last edited by jlv08; January 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: mor info
Old January 10, 2010, 02:13 PM   #3
michaeljohn

thanks jlvo8

Thanks I might be interested in one of the standard stocks you have are they plain wood or the jungle pattern that was common for this gun. I really am not looking to build it as tactical I have a couple of those already a nice LE only benelli and another LE only S&W I was just hoping to get a cheap durable stock set for this one as it is a great plinker and field gun I got from my dad years ago when he worked a case on a house fire and the owner gave it to him slightly charred I reworked and like you cold blued the metal and was just hoping to replace the wood. anyway I appreciate the help I will start looking into some wood replacements Numrich has a pretty decent jungle pattern set for about 35 bucks that I can pick up.
Old January 10, 2010, 05:27 PM   #4
jlv08

I haven't looked at the sight but I did get one (Viet Nam era But stock with sling swivel) and it is a shorter length of pull over the standard but you could add a pad and bring it up to size.

If they are out you can let me know on this board and I'll let you get this one for what I payed for it.

It's standard walnut stock with mil finish. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jlv08; January 10, 2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: more info