The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Johnny Seven

Adding length to a 870 Express Youth

I purchased an 870 youth 20g shotgun for HD/PD, that my wife and 11 year old son could handle. My wife is 5ft tall, so the youth model fits her best. Now I want to practice with the gun, but its soooo small for me (I'm 6'3). What is the best way to lengthen the gun, so it fits me better? Would adding a slip on recoil pad work best, or would you buy an adjustable stock (An adjustable stock on a 20g may cause some laughter if I bring it to a range). Would an adjustable stock reduce the weight to where the gun recoil increase ? I'm new to the world of shotguns.
Old January 6, 2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I think you ought to get your own darn gun and quit messing with your wife's.

If you just can't afford that, a slip-on pad is the least expensive way out.
Old January 6, 2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Johnny Seven

Jim, you are too funny! I think your first option would be the best, but times are tight, so we are in the "one size does not fit all" category.
Old January 6, 2010, 04:27 PM   #4
oneounceload

If times are that tight that you can't afford a used gun your size, (and that's NOT a slam, been there, done that), perhaps you might want to hold off going to the range. During that hiatus, save up what few bucks you can here and there and find a $200 gun that's more to your measurements.
Old January 6, 2010, 04:33 PM   #5
BigJimP

Honestly - a slip on pad probably won't give you enough extra length to make a difference.

Probably the best thing to do / is find another stock for an 870 -- pawn shops, etc ......and buy one that's beat up for the parts. When you want to take the gun out / change the stock out. Then change it back when you get home.

Or just find a deal on another good used pump gun ........for yourself.
Old January 6, 2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Edward429451

A youth sized stock is closer to a one size fits all than a full size stock would fit your Wife.

For as much as you'd prolly have in a seperate stock...you could get a good used pump at a pawn shop. The economy is bringing some real bargains to the pawn shops, go see for yourself.
Old January 6, 2010, 10:44 PM   #7
EstillEngineer#59

im not sure about the 870 but a buddy of mine got a mossberg 20 gauge when he was younger and they sent him a free full sized stock when he grew out of it. somthin to check into. then you could just change them out. but like i said, i have no idea if remington does anything like that
Old January 7, 2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Johnny Seven

Thanks for the advice guys, this forum is a great resource
Old January 7, 2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Russ5924

Why not just buy a new full stock for it I bought a 1100 youth and changed the stock. But would be a pain if all shooting at the same time
Old January 7, 2010, 05:33 PM   #10
rantingredneck

A slip on limbsaver pad adds about 1" to LOP if you put it on over the existing buttstock and recoil pad. I bought my daughter an 870 youth 20 ga a few months back and a Limbsaver small slip on fits it nicely. It brings the LOP to within about 3/4" of my 12 ga 870's with Speedfeed I and II stocks. It's comfortable to shoot for me and I'm 6' even and around 230lbs with long arms.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)