The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2009, 06:24 PM   #26
greyson97

so even if it was my boss, and it wasnt an official work outing, but a friendly invite, i should still treat it like an official work function, and act in a manner that i would in my workplace as well? ie profesionalism in appearance, and bahaviour and function?

just as i wouldnt wear shorts and sandals to the workplace, and show up in appropriate work attire, i should show up to the shoot dressed appropriately carrying the appropriate guns?

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old September 17, 2009, 06:37 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I wouldn't show up in work attire if that is fine slacks and fitted shirts. If it is a hunt, wear decent condition hunt attire. If it is a few rounds of skeet look at Cabela's and get an idea on "outdoor wear"...
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 06:39 PM   #28
greyson97

i meant it as a similie

you show up to work in slacks and khakis, and you show up to a hunt with a shotgun appropriate for shooting birds, and hunters clothes, and not shorts flipflops and a shortbarrel cylinder tactical shotgun

Old September 17, 2009, 06:40 PM   #29
BigJimP

Yes,
I can tell you from personal experience - there were about 20 of us on a 4 day bird hunting trip in the Southeast a few years ago. It was an annual event - a lot of us were "repeat guests". It was a great 4 day - business trip/customer appreciation, etc. - customers and senior managers from the host.

A couple of the customers and one of the host's sales managers went out and got drunk / made a big scene at the lodge one night - damaged a door and some lodge furnishings. They were too hung over the next morning to make it out in the field / it embarassed the Exec VP and the President of the host company.

Those customers were never invited back / the regional sales manager and the VP of sales were both fired - when the exec VP got back to his office.
( a wise man once said, don't fart in the back seat of the Cadillac ...) if you expect to get ahead. It wasn't just "boys being boys" ...
---------------------
I saw the same thing when I was in the service / the staff or ships officers were expected to attend golf outings, trap shooting, etc - if invited - with the Admiral and other senior officers / it was how we got to know eachother a little when we were off duty. It was not a time to show up late or get out of control at the dinner or party afterward.....or not be properly attired, equipped, etc. I'm not saying I was never stupid / but knowing when and where to do it / or not do it - is real important.
Old September 17, 2009, 07:06 PM   #30
oneounceload

Quote:
so even if it was my boss, and it wasnt an official work outing, but a friendly invite
Even if it is, it isn't....when the boss is involved, even if it is a casual running into at wally world, it is ALWAYS a political business situation. Don't think your boss is seeing how you behave in the off time.....he may be sizing you up for down the road....As Jim alluded to about a hunting trip.....getting drunk or acting the fool, even in a non-official trip has shortened many an aspiring person's career
Old September 17, 2009, 07:40 PM   #31
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Greyson, simile... Use the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] for us naive rednecks that take things at face value
Dern you made me feel like a dumb feller (see how that works)
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 07:55 PM   #32
Swampghost

Sorry folks, losing is not in my vocabulary!

I've been to some pretty fancy meets sporting my old Stevens SBS. It's well worn, pitted and scarred from 40+ yrs. of use and I know that I get sideways glances, snickers behind my back, etc. until it's showtime.

If I was concerned about PHYSICAL appearance I have a beautiful Fox custom that I picked up at an estate sale. The wife practically gave it to me (not pro-hunting). I shot it a few times and we just didn't get along, I'll trade it for something I want later.
Old September 18, 2009, 08:22 AM   #33
greyson97

sorry hogdogs, i didnt mean to belittle you in any way, but I dont think my post you responded to was sarcastic.

I was saying maybe i should treat the event i'm invited to in the same professional manner i treat my work.

i treat my work professionally, so therefore, I come on time, I do what is expected of me, and I dress in a manner that is expected of me (professional work dress)

since my boss is involved, it is automatically a work event, as established earlier,

so thus, if i were to apply that same attitude of professionalism to the event I am invited to, I would dress appropriately (hunters clothes, and not flip flops shorts and T-shirt) with a serious shotgun, 28" barrel with screw in chokes with a regular stock and a legal for hunting for that state magazine size, and not a 18" cylinder pistol grip only with a magazine that can hold 10 rounds shotgun.

Old September 18, 2009, 11:33 AM   #34
oneounceload

And if you're not sure WHAT is appropriate - be it clothing, guns, behavior, etc......ASK him PRIOR to attending.....take the self effacing attitude, etc.....goes a long way without totally looking like a yes-man or suck-up, and definitely scores points