The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2002, 09:03 PM   #1
stinger

Mossberg 500A 12 ga.

I posted this in the Smithy section but since this forum is more travelled I thought I would give it a try here as well.

Was shooting some clays today and my action locked up. The ejector screw somehow worked itself out and the ejector has locked up the whole enchilada. The ejector has moved backwards and up from its intended slot.

This bolt is jammed up tight and I can't move it. I will probably have to take it to the gunsmith, but thought maybe you guys had some thoughts on how I could get it out myself.

The bolt has locked back about a quarter of the way. I can reach the ejector with needlenose pliers, but it won't budge.

BTW, there is/are shells in the magazine. Could be 1 or 2 not too sure. I can't send it to the factory with ammo. How can I get them out?

Any ideas???

Thanks

Stinger
Old July 9, 2002, 09:06 PM   #2
Ledbetter

Disassembly

Have you taken the trigger guard out? Two pins punch out from the side. You may have to jiggle the bolt to get the ejector out. Good luck.
Old July 9, 2002, 09:25 PM   #3
stinger

Yes sir,

I got the trigger assembly out but everything else is still locked up.

Thanks,

Stinger
Old July 9, 2002, 09:28 PM   #4
Andrew Wyatt

reach in the bottom of the action and push the little shell latch on the side in. the rounds will squirt out one at a time. you'll have to guide them up and over the shell lifter.
Old July 10, 2002, 11:05 AM   #5
stinger

I was able to clear the jam and get everything back in working order. I feel much better now. Thanks for the help guys.

Stinger