The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Best Pistol
Smith & Wesson 52 7.83%
Sig 106 15.96%
Glock 149 22.44%
Ruger 26 3.92%
Springfield 48 7.23%
Colt 48 7.23%
HK 57 8.58%
Walther 16 2.41%
Khar 9 1.36%
Kimber 28 4.22%
Desert Eagle 3 0.45%
Makarov (Stichken included) 7 1.05%
Beretta 33 4.97%
CZ 49 7.38%
Taurus 7 1.05%
Browning (FN) 18 2.71%
Para Ord. 3 0.45%
Star 2 0.30%
Mauser (Luger included) 2 0.30%
Korth 1 0.15%
Voters: 664. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 25, 2008, 03:47 PM   #126
longeyes

I prefer 1911s, Glocks, and Maks.

Best pistol? My BOB contains a Glock 17 and a Colt 1911. I have a S&W Scandium Commander I really like. My Glock 30 is my #1 home defense sidearm.

But...

If I had to pick one and only one for all purposes, I'd probably pick the Glock 19.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old February 25, 2008, 07:32 PM   #127
MTS840

Looks like it's still Glock followed by Sig.

Both are great guns, but I think from a design point of view, the Glock and its ever increasing number of clones are a more refined and more efficient design than my SigPro or my H&K USP 9c.

My Sig and my H&K have more parts, a higher bore axis and are thicker than similar Glocks. The external hammer offers dirt more places to hide than a closed, internal striker design. To me, this seems to be a throwback to earlier, more conventional designs. Nothing wrong with Sig, H&K, or many other older designs, however. They have been working and have been reliable for decades.

Nevertheless, it seems as if they were engineered to get as much mechanical reliability as possible out of an existing, if dated design pattern.

I like Sig and H&K, but I don't carry them nearly as often.
Old February 25, 2008, 08:25 PM   #128
Glockeroo

Quote:
The external hammer offers dirt more places to hide than a closed, internal striker design.
I've never been a fan of guns with an external hammer. Too much mechanics for me, and more to possibly go wrong with the pistol. I love striker fired weapons especially the G19, and the low bore axis is awesome.
Old February 26, 2008, 02:19 AM   #129
Firepower!

Star

Well check this out http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg112-e.htm

This isn't so bad for conceal carry. I just feel bad for this old company that did not score a VOTE so far.

Can some one shed light on its failure so far?

On its products?
Old February 27, 2008, 04:21 AM   #130
Firepower!

Glock the undisputed!

Well now the race is really for the third place as Glock and Sig have sufficent lead that I doubt will be cut in to unless some dramatic shift in opinion.
Old February 27, 2008, 06:23 AM   #131
evan1293

I drank the glock coolaid long ago. I love these guns!
Old February 27, 2008, 10:10 PM   #132
1911 fan

I just bought a Griffon 1911A1 that i absolutely love. Smooth shooter, Commander sized so it's easy to carry conceiled & I don't need any extra tools to feildstrip
Old February 28, 2008, 03:30 AM   #133
Firepower!

Evan1293 ... Glad you did!

They are not much to be a classic but definately a pistol that one can rely on for number reasons.
Old March 1, 2008, 05:10 AM   #134
Firepower!

So its between HK and CZ?

Not many members participated in the poll as I thought they would since TFL has over 59000 members!
Old March 1, 2008, 05:43 PM   #135
Glockeroo

I believe the reason the Glock is leading the poll is because most people carry them for SD. They may not be the best pistols ever made (well the G19 may be), but they are the best for what they were designed for, and that is SD. Even people that are not big fans of Glocks carry them for SD purposes. 15 rounds of JHP's in a light weight, reliable, more than accurate firearm is hard to pass on.

The Glock is hard to beat in the SD pistol realm.
Old March 1, 2008, 07:41 PM   #136
Colt Delta Elite

I think "Best Pistol" polls just tells you what each voter already owns.

< this space for rent >
Old March 1, 2008, 08:01 PM   #137
Dave85

+1
Old March 1, 2008, 11:55 PM   #138
daferg2

Glock 19

Concealable, accurate, 100% reliable, easy to use and service. I own several great pistols (too many according to the wife), and most of them are a close second here, but if I could only keep one for personal protection, this would be it. I would REALLY miss that H&K USP Compact though....and the Sig p239....and the Beretta PX4....and the Walther P99....and..........
Old March 2, 2008, 12:44 AM   #139
Glockeroo

The Glock 19 baby!!
Old March 2, 2008, 12:53 AM   #140
JeepinGA

Buncha Glock lovin' commies. A Glock owner is just someone who doesn't understand the near perfection of an H&K. At least I'll be ready for those GD zombies...
Old March 2, 2008, 08:40 PM   #141
Colt Delta Elite

WHY....

Why do people include picture(s) of their Glock(s) ??
THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME !!

< this space for rent >
Old March 2, 2008, 09:51 PM   #142
longeyes

Re the G19: a carry gun needs to be maintained. No gun is easier to break down, check out, and keep clean than a Glock.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old March 2, 2008, 11:26 PM   #143
10 MickeyMouse

Quote:
A Glock owner is just someone who doesn't understand the near perfection of an H&K.
HaHaHa. Both Euro plastik fantastik's. The only difference between HK and Glock is that HK's are over priced and the company is a bunch of arrogant pricks who don't believe civilians should have firearms.

I traded my Stainless USP .45 for a LNIB S&W 1006. Best trade I ever did.

I traded my G-22 for a 1984 Honda VF750 Interceptor. Second best trade I ever made.

Glocks are growing a bit long in the tooth, as can be deduced by the rapid ascent of the XD and M&P. HK's have their fanclub, but few other people are willing to pay $500 for the gun and another $500 for the name.
Old March 2, 2008, 11:49 PM   #144
armoredman

Someone said a person who hasn't test fired all the brands listed couldn't really comment, realistically. Well, I've never even SEEN a Korth in person, and Stechkins are really quite rare in the US, but I have fired several examples of every other brand listed, both new and used, rental and trade in, professionally and privately.
Quote:
Quality wise speaking, especially in international markets, CZ is no where close to HK.
I had 6 HK USPs on my rental shelf 7 years ago, 1 year later only 1 was left - the others back at the factory for breaking in various ways. The Ruger autos did better than HK.
I will use my favorite media to make my choice in this pointless, yet downright fun thread.

Snicker, all in good fun . I qualify with G-rock 19s every year, either Expert or Distinguished Expert - they just don't fit me, and I have seen them fail as often as any other brand, twice in my hand.
Old March 4, 2008, 06:18 AM   #145
Firepower!

armoredman: nice add showing where platic should be, but apparently people like their handgun light and simple. Gone are the days of full metal. However, for collection purpose, I would buying any good handgun.
Old March 4, 2008, 07:12 AM   #146
Laserlips

Firepower:

I would have agreed with your assessment until I shot my first HK P7 a few weeks ago..

JP

Old March 4, 2008, 07:46 AM   #147
ForksLaPush

Has anyone ever tried sending their slide back to Glock and asking them to finish machining it?
If the snake bites before it is charmed, there is no advantage in having a charmer. Ecclesiastes 10:11
Old March 4, 2008, 07:47 AM   #148
alabaster

Love Glocks, almost voted that way, but my Springfield has served me well for years. I can't seem to get rid of it. I almost traded it for another G, but it just pulls at the heartstrings too much.
Old March 4, 2008, 10:36 AM   #149
armoredman

Firepower, the differance in weight between my PO1 and the G-19 is approximately 6 ounces, or, to put that in perspective, just about three quarters of a the weight of a cup of water. I know darn few people not packing at LEAST that much extra weight in a more permanent fashion, including myself.
I have packed a G-19 all day with two spare mags, and I do pack a PO1 every day with two spare mags. Can't tell the differance.
As for light and simple, people like thier handguns cheap, especially police administrators who don't have to depend on them. Glock sells thier sidearms for pennies on the dollar to LE agencies. They cost very little to make, so they really don't lose much. I have never said they don't work reasonably well, but from direct, personal, long term experiance with many differant examples of various Glock models, they are not worth the hype. Good, solid reliable sidearms, but nowhere near perfection. Nothing is.
Old March 5, 2008, 03:39 AM   #150
Firepower!

Why I like Glock!

You are right that 'nothing is' near perfection. If it were there would not be need to make anything new.

I am not buying in to the hype of Glock, but I like them because they have served me well. I have had no problems with my Glock what so ever. I can say the same about my Sigs and Berettas, but I cannot say the same about my Colt 1911s and HKs, insipte the fact I realy like HK products. I also had problems with all other handguns I have owned. Some problems were minor such as with HK it on one ro may be two occasions failed to properly palce the cartridge in the chamber, but later I learned that I was using bullets intented for SMG (MP5). With my Colt 1911, it went rapid on its own, and so did my Makarov (failed safety). These two were major types of errors in my books, that kept them in my collections for collection purpose only.

Even in one of my Colt revolvers I needed gunsmithing after the triger would not move for some internel failure.

Finally, where you live Glock is very cheap pistol, but where I live it costs 6000 US$! And if some one wants to spend that much- they must really have faith in that handgun. No other handgun costs here that much, except may be some DEs. In 9mm Glock offers variety of different mag caps from 10 to 31, which is a very important factor in decidiing upon Glock.
Closed Thread