The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 9, 2020, 01:14 PM   #1
mel80

Got my new 6.5 creedmoor

Just threw it o. The lower my 20 inch creed was on for now but im going to finish this one out the same way as the 20 with maybe a stock change.

22inch stainless fluted bull barrel 5r ,areo upper, atn x sight pro 4k, though im prolly keeping my glass 6-25x56 on this rifle jmt saber drop in trigger

Last edited by mel80; January 9, 2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old January 9, 2020, 06:47 PM   #2
stagpanther

Nice looking build and I hope it works well--look forward to seeing some of your target. Your scope and ring arrangement looks a bit unusual--it's hard to tell from the picture cause it's dark--but usually it's a good idea to get the eyepiece bell end of the scope just in front of the charging handle--if you can.
Old January 9, 2020, 07:12 PM   #3
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Nice looking build and I hope it works well--look forward to seeing some of your target. Your scope and ring arrangement looks a bit unusual--it's hard to tell from the picture cause it's dark--but usually it's a good idea to get the eyepiece bell end of the scope just in front of the charging handle--if you can.
ive had a few ppl say something about it to me , but its actually more comfortable for me having it back that far specially with that particular scope being a digital one

ive got the one ring on the back cause i mount my ir illuminator on the front ring when i have my bipod on it and dont feel like taking it off to put the illuminator under the barrel

that scope is usually on my grendel or 20 inch creed i just put it on this one for now since my glass is out of the rings it was mounted in and didnt wanna take the time to relevel and mount it

i put 65 rounds threw the gun today 60 of which was just some cheap sellier and beliot 140g brass cased ammo which shoots terrible in both the creeds , and then i shot 5 handloads of 123g eld-m 42.5g of h4350 loaded to mag lenght and shot a 5 shot .382 group at 100y

ill throw up some pics later tonight or tommorow
Old January 10, 2020, 06:21 PM   #4
Siggy-06

How's the JMT trigger? What kind of gas block and tube length are the upper using. Looks like a sweet shooter.
Old January 10, 2020, 06:55 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
and then i shot 5 handloads of 123g eld-m 42.5g of h4350 loaded to mag lenght and shot a 5 shot .382 group at 100y
That's very impressive for a new gun! I have built several creedmoors over the years and that beats the thousands of cartridges I've sent through them. Congrats!
Old January 10, 2020, 07:33 PM   #6
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
How's the JMT trigger? What kind of gas block and tube length are the upper using. Looks like a sweet shooter.
its just a cheap micro gasblock and a rifle lenght gas system pobably should have goten a +1 or 2 gas system but i think an adjustable gas block will work fine ,as far as the jmt triggers i dont have/never had any other dropins to compare them to , but they are worlds better then the milspec triggers i had in them.they do have adjustment screws in them but i havent played with them at all , they work just fine for me the way there were set out of the box

Last edited by mel80; January 10, 2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old January 10, 2020, 07:42 PM   #7
mel80

Quote:
That's very impressive for a new gun! I have built several creedmoors over the years and that beats the thousands of cartridges I've sent through them. Congrats!
this new creedmoor and my grendel have impressed the heck out of me , i wish i coulda grabbed pictures today while i was up on the farm but it was 19* out without the windchill i kept my butt in the shop all morning

if its decent tommorow ill run up on the range and grab some pics and measurements on that target

one of the best groups out of my grendel so far and im still working up a load for it

im hoping to get out and do some more shooting with the new creedmoor tommorow, if not it wont be till monday
ive got a metric ton of that sellier and belliot ammo but it is horrible for accuracy so ill prolly load up a few more of those 42.5g h4350 eldm loads to take out with me

ive been using that cheap s&b stuff just to break in the barrel and for brass

Last edited by mel80; January 10, 2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old January 10, 2020, 10:46 PM   #8
AgedWarrior

Nice rifle! Good shooting too! The scope set up intrigues me a little too, but if it works for you...that’s what matters!
Old January 10, 2020, 11:31 PM   #9
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgedWarrior View Post
Nice rifle! Good shooting too! The scope set up intrigues me a little too, but if it works for you...that’s what matters!
TY

The main reason i have it back so far is in order to see all the information on the screen in the scope ur eye has to be very close to it otherwise the tilt and angle readings get cut off on the edges of the screen ill have to see if i cant take a picture threw the eyepiece of it for yall so u can see what it looks like

Last edited by mel80; January 10, 2020 at 11:36 PM.
Old January 10, 2020, 11:35 PM   #10
mel80

Its a bit blurry but u get the idea
Old January 10, 2020, 11:46 PM   #11
mel80

And the way i have the rings i can mount my ir illuminator to the front ring if i dont have a mini rail section or i have the bipod mounted on the rifle , npormally the bipod is off and the illuminator goes were the bipod is and the gun is mounted on a tripod but its nice to have the ring mount option if i need to grab the rifle quickly for something at night
Old January 11, 2020, 01:46 AM   #12
stagpanther

I just now noticed that the charge handle is missing--so I assume you have a side-charging upper. Something one doesn't see often, now I get it.
Old January 11, 2020, 01:53 AM   #13
mel80

Quote:
I just now noticed that the charge handle is missing--so I assume you have a side-charging upper. Something one doesn't see often, now I get it.
no i just had the bolt and handle out of it in that picture i think i snapped that when my anodized parts started comming in and i was getting ready to swap them , i have no problems using the charging handle with the scope back that far , i just have a std charging handle

i also dont use the rubber eyepiece on the scope

my next build is a 28inch barreled grendel which i may do a side charging upper on
Old January 11, 2020, 08:19 AM   #14
AgedWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel80 View Post

Its a bit blurry but u get the idea
Yes I do. So this is minimal eye relief in order to effectively use that optic it would seem. I am curious, how close do you have to be?
Old January 11, 2020, 09:04 AM   #15
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgedWarrior View Post
Yes I do. So this is minimal eye relief in order to effectively use that optic it would seem. I am curious, how close do you have to be?
its fairly close to get a full view of the screen , tbh i actually havent paid attention to how close i actually am to the eye piece . its going to be 38* today but snow later so if i get any shooting in this am ill see what the min and max eye relief is for ya , i know u can get back pretty far from it if all u care about is the reticle in it

the scope also isnt intended for what ive been using it for , so far ive stretched it out to 1400 yards atleast on the 4k pro 5-20 and it works great , the other one i have the older x sight hd 3-14 is at its limits on a 20 inch diam target at just shy of 1100 yards

main reason ive been using them for long range target stuff is just the ability to record video what i see threw the scope when im shooting and i can go back and look at any misses i may have to see if it was me or the the ammo/gun

Last edited by mel80; January 11, 2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old January 11, 2020, 11:59 AM   #16
ocharry

hi mel

nice looking rifle,,,and sounds like its gona be a shooter too

i just ordered one of those scopes,,,supposed to be here today,,,i got the 3-14 ,,,sounds like you are using yours for target and recording video??

i gots me a lot of yotes around here and i got this one to level the field a little bit in my favor,,,the recording feature is pretty cool i think

looking forward to getting it charged and updated and mounted maybe by tomorrow,,,,having some really bad weather come in for a few days,,,so im thinking when it breaks i want to be out there,,,,lol

i been kinda thinking i want a 243,,,,but maybe a 6.5 would be a better choice,,guess i need somebody to tell me why i need the 6.5 over the 243,,,lol,,,,at this point im looking for a deal on either,,,,and the best deal wins,,,,but i do have a bunch (6-700) of old speer (from the 264 win days),,, i think 6.5 bullets sitting around,,,that i prolly aint gona use,,, so that is a mark in the creed category i guess

i did think about the AR platform for a new rifle,,,guess i could put a brass catcher on it,,,lol

ocharry
Old January 11, 2020, 12:40 PM   #17
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry View Post
hi mel

nice looking rifle,,,and sounds like its gona be a shooter too

i just ordered one of those scopes,,,supposed to be here today,,,i got the 3-14 ,,,sounds like you are using yours for target and recording video??

i gots me a lot of yotes around here and i got this one to level the field a little bit in my favor,,,the recording feature is pretty cool i think

looking forward to getting it charged and updated and mounted maybe by tomorrow,,,,having some really bad weather come in for a few days,,,so im thinking when it breaks i want to be out there,,,,lol

i been kinda thinking i want a 243,,,,but maybe a 6.5 would be a better choice,,guess i need somebody to tell me why i need the 6.5 over the 243,,,lol,,,,at this point im looking for a deal on either,,,,and the best deal wins,,,,but i do have a bunch (6-700) of old speer (from the 264 win days),,, i think 6.5 bullets sitting around,,,that i prolly aint gona use,,, so that is a mark in the creed category i guess

i did think about the AR platform for a new rifle,,,guess i could put a brass catcher on it,,,lol

ocharry
Also use mine for yotes and other critters at night. Ill tell ya now the ir illuminator that comes witht the scope is garbage 50 y range. I highly reccomend the snipper hoglights 66lrx or the coyote cannon i have both if u get one b sure to buy the battieries and charger set from them
Old January 11, 2020, 01:31 PM   #18
ocharry

I have seen that before,,, not sure how long you have had your scope,,, have heard ATN has changed the illuminator and the updates sometime about the middle of 2019

So we will see,,, I have been looking at an illuminator that uses rechargeable batteries,,, those 123 batteries are kinda expensive and im not sure what the run time is on them hence the rechargeable ir light

ATN is saying now that the ir they send is good out to 200+ ,,,,, if that is true then it should be good enough for my application

The scope just got here ,,, so im gona charge it and get the firmware updated,,, maybe this afternoon get it mounted,,,, and maybe get it lined up

Ocharry
Old January 11, 2020, 03:16 PM   #19
mel80

My 4k is 2/3 months old my best friend is a beta-tester/tech support for atn the new illuminator still sucks
Old January 11, 2020, 04:46 PM   #20
mel80

New powder and load testing in it. Wasnt trying to be supper accurate yet just checking fps and brass/pressure signs ,i can deff take this over 3000fps if it stays accurate

Old January 11, 2020, 04:59 PM   #21
AgedWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel80 View Post
its fairly close to get a full view of the screen , tbh i actually havent paid attention to how close i actually am to the eye piece . its going to be 38* today but snow later so if i get any shooting in this am ill see what the min and max eye relief is for ya , i know u can get back pretty far from it if all u care about is the reticle in it

the scope also isnt intended for what ive been using it for , so far ive stretched it out to 1400 yards atleast on the 4k pro 5-20 and it works great , the other one i have the older x sight hd 3-14 is at its limits on a 20 inch diam target at just shy of 1100 yards

main reason ive been using them for long range target stuff is just the ability to record video what i see threw the scope when im shooting and i can go back and look at any misses i may have to see if it was me or the the ammo/gun
That is pretty cool. Thanks for the explanation.
Old January 11, 2020, 06:36 PM   #22
mel80

Quote:
I have seen that before,,, not sure how long you have had your scope,,, have heard ATN has changed the illuminator and the updates sometime about the middle of 2019

So we will see,,, I have been looking at an illuminator that uses rechargeable batteries,,, those 123 batteries are kinda expensive and im not sure what the run time is on them hence the rechargeable ir light

ATN is saying now that the ir they send is good out to 200+ ,,,,, if that is true then it should be good enough for my application

The scope just got here ,,, so im gona charge it and get the firmware updated,,, maybe this afternoon get it mounted,,,, and maybe get it lined up

Ocharry
66lrx runs on a single 18650 li cell and the coyote cannon runs on a single 21700 li cell , sniper hoglights sells a charger + 2 cells for each for 40 bucks which is well worth it , if u end up going that route , i might actually have some videos laying around i shot with the scope comparing both illuminators

the older atn x sight hd is also alot more sensitive to light then the newer 4k pro
Old January 11, 2020, 07:34 PM   #23
ocharry

i will for sure check out the light with single 18650,,,i use that cell in a couple other lights i have,,,,

just got the firm ware updated and playing with this thing,,,man im sure this is going to be a GAME changer,,,,snowing like crazy right now,,,i want to take it outside and check it out,,not sure how the light and the snow will get along,,,,think i got everything ready to go,,,get it mounted and zeroed tomorrow maybe,,,,big smile on my face,,,,happy birthday to me

hey those look like some good groups coming on there too

but this scope is pretty cool for sure

ocharry
Old January 11, 2020, 07:42 PM   #24
mel80

Quote:
i will for sure check out the light with single 18650,,,i use that cell in a couple other lights i have,,,,

just got the firm ware updated and playing with this thing,,,man im sure this is going to be a GAME changer,,,,snowing like crazy right now,,,i want to take it outside and check it out,,not sure how the light and the snow will get along,,,,think i got everything ready to go,,,get it mounted and zeroed tomorrow maybe,,,,big smile on my face,,,,happy birthday to me

hey those look like some good groups coming on there too

but this scope is pretty cool for sure

ocharry

ive used mine in the snow / snow covered ground it whites things out a lil bit but its not to bad

im sure ull enjoy it , the scope itself takes some getting used to if uve never used one before , ive got the whole package for mine with the abl laser , and have different profiles saved in the scope for diff guns and ammo

if u have any issues getting the thing setup or zeroed let me know and ill fill ya in on a few tricks
Old January 11, 2020, 09:25 PM   #25
ocharry

Oh I'm sure there will be a learning curve ...lol

I took it out on the back porch...yep a new or another light will have to be looked at for sure...looks like maybe 50-75 yrds....and 75 might be stretching it a touch

Snow didn't seem to have much of an effect.... But I for sure want at least 150yrds of illumination......so more light

I may take you up on the tricks....but first I got to get it on the ar and sighted in....get some load data installed and see just what I really have..lol

Thanks for the offer to help out.....your friend probably has some very good insight on the ins and outs of these scopes

Ocharry