The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 13, 2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Rembrandt

Are your hunts interesting enough for a TV Show?

After seeing some of the new fall TV hunting shows....I speculate most people here could offer a far more exciting show with their hunts.
Old September 13, 2009, 06:48 PM   #2
longranger

I do not see the big deal with last few years hunting shows on the ODC as even ethical.How hard is for a guy to pick up a phone and call a "outfitter" and sit here under a feeder behind a highwire fence in a stand that the hunter had nothing to do with placing.Then spend$3000.00-5000.00 to shoot a deer.
I know no one personally who hunts this way.Most of those TV persoanlities could not find their ass' with both hands let alone set their own hunts up.
Old September 13, 2009, 07:01 PM   #3
goldfacade

[QUOTE]I know no one personally who hunts this way.Most of those TV persoanlities could not find their ass' with both hands let alone set their own hunts up./QUOTE]

Ouch! I would be willing to bet that the marketability of these shows are the reason that that these hunts are "guaranteed kill" types. Not a lot of fringe hunters would like to watch a season "White Tale Slayer" and see some dude sitting in a tree stand and get 1 maybe 2 deer. We know there is a lot more to hunting than that, but the other options (scouting, swatting mosquitoes, pooping behind a bush) might not make the best television.

I personally have no problems with these kind of shows, nor do I ask comedians to guide my hunts.

Best of luck to you in the upcoming season.
Old September 13, 2009, 07:10 PM   #4
greensteelforge

The ethics of these hunts are dubious, but how else do you produce a regular success story with a trophy at the end? I've seen a few shows with realistic results, but it isn't any fun to watch someone bitch about the cold, and go home empty handed, all the while telling viewers of the only spectator sport more boring than golf that "this is what hunting is all about". My personal take is this; hunting doesn't make good television unless you reduce the challenge to the level of hunting holsteins. You can't get most of the experience of a hunt from your barca-lounger unless you just get a thrill out of watching an outmatched critter die in an ambush.
Old September 13, 2009, 10:17 PM   #5
FrontSight

Yes, especially my waterfowl hunts...
Old September 13, 2009, 10:25 PM   #6
zahnzieh

Alot of "staging" in these hunting and fishing shows - some of it down right unethical and unsportsmanlike. I would rather see an amateur hunter video of a first time hunter harvest his first spike-buck than all these blow-hards with their fake smiles and product promotions. Just my 2 cents...
Old September 13, 2009, 11:23 PM   #7
trooper3385

+1 for what goldfacade said. There are several shows where the host is just full of it and I won't watch there shows. There also several that I like and watch on a regular basis. It's hunting, but with it being a TV show, it's also Entertainment. Most people watching want to see results. You have to remember also, they have to squeeze 2 to 5 days of hunting or how ever long there hunt is into a 30 minute show. You don't see the majority of the hunt.
Old September 13, 2009, 11:26 PM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

My doves hunts would provide ample entertainment...
Old September 13, 2009, 11:49 PM   #9
JerseyDrez

Ive started watching hunting shows more and more, and not all shows are based on 'outfitters'. There are a few shows that are rather amateur-ish, but still have pretty good editing and video quality as the 'outfitter' shows.

There is a man that hunts with his wife (wife usually on the camera) and she is very attractive...I find myself watching that often. Hmm..

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old September 14, 2009, 12:20 AM   #10
Sarge

Mine are too boring for TV.

I do have to mention that I am a little perplexed by the high percentage of game animals I see run off after the shot- which is almost invariably taken from a rest, inside a blind. These boys are using hopped-up muzzloaders & hotrock centerfires, yet they can't shoot a whitetail or mulie without it running out of sight?

This is not to say that I haven't tracked wounded game- I sure have. I got tired of that early on and started shooting them at the juncture of the shoulder & spine, whenever possible. That parks 'em right where they're hit, as do quartering shots through the shoulders.

I probably jinxed myself by mentioning this and will now have to track this year's deer through two zip codes...
Old September 14, 2009, 12:48 AM   #11
Buzzcook

If watching a fat guy sit on his butt in the cold is good TV, then I'm a star.

Even walking I spent more time standing still than moving.
Old September 14, 2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

I can think of a few things that have happened that would make for good TV but on the whole, but for the most part no.

"On today's episode of Willie Lowman's Whitetail Extravaganza we'll see our star hunter... Sipping Mountain Dew!... Later, some action packed afternoon hours as squirrels chitter in trees! And at last, as the day draws to a close we get a glimpse of the hunter falling on his face because his right leg fell completely asleep! Tune in next time where we will get a look at a great buck... That Willie's uncle shot!"
Old September 14, 2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Gbro

Quote:
I speculate most people here could offer a far more exciting show with their hunts.
So true, but then again there may be a little bias.
And I might bore the camera man waiting for that one shot that may take some years to materialize.
But, hey I am game for the wait

And i do have many wonderful hunts recorded down to the smallest detail that are replayed many times for myself but, unfortunately there are some other incidents that I wish I could push a delete button and never visually see them again.

Last edited by Gbro; September 14, 2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: ?
Old September 14, 2009, 09:53 AM   #14
longranger

The Eastman show is pobably the best show they offer.These guys hunt public ground apply for tags and do the scouting and walking.They are hunters not TV stars.They kill some awesome animals with rifle or bow.
Old September 14, 2009, 10:01 AM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well I feel my hog hunts would be plenty exciting for viewers but it would be restricted to adults as there would be plenty of cussing and to bleep it out would make for some chopped up audio tracks.

My only sponsors would Chevy (drove to the woods), Buck knives (my only weapon), Budweiser (man has to stay healthy and beer has all 3 food groups *water, grain and alcohol*), Gatorade (not everyone can handle drinkin' and runnin' the woods all night), and Mule Tape (the stuff we tie the legs with)...

But Gatorade and Bud would back out early when the peta freaks see the bulldogs "slick ear" a scrappy boar and have to go for the jowl while the 180+ Junior ducks in for the hind legs to tip it over...

All this would only happen on film if the crew can keep up with us which I doubt highly
Brent
Old September 14, 2009, 10:12 AM   #16
freakshow10mm

Only hunts I find interesting anymore are the African dangerous game hunts. Plains game is getting boring.

I like real hunts. Hippo charges and all but the PH and the hunter scatter like cockroaches as the pair unleash a world of pain into the beast in hopes of stopping the charge. Then joke around with the trackers when it's all done.

Other one, the Winchester one in Africa. Guy is trying for a croc. Shoots it in the water but looses it. Guy was pretty beat up about it. Blew about 30 stalks before he took a shot. That's real hunting.

I hate the shows that have 5 hunts and it's all [comes back from commercial break] {Don, you on him. Yeah. Take him. BANG.} Walk up to the animal with the camera at ground level dead. Hand shakes, "great shot", [NASCAR accent] "Oh, I couldn't have done it without this Ruger Hawkeye 300 RCM knockdown powder greatest thing since midget strip clubs with alcohol. Want to thank my wife, my father (RIP), Bozo Safaris, Leupold, for providing me this once in a lifetime opportunity. We'll be right back after these messages.[/NASCAR accent]

Do that 4-5 times in a half hour show gets old real quick.
Old September 14, 2009, 10:18 AM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogdogs
Well I feel my hog hunts would be plenty exciting for viewers but it would be restricted to adults as there would be plenty of cussing and to bleep it out would make for some chopped up audio tracks...
Osceola County Hoggers?
Old September 14, 2009, 10:46 AM   #18
FrontSight

I could watch Tiffany all day. But only on mute, tho!
Old September 14, 2009, 10:47 AM   #19
rickyjames

some of my favorite shows are tred barta (get well soon), the huntly way, that young guy has fun, under wild skys, larry czonka and others that change location, change the game animal. if a guy can hunt different states, different countries for different animals god bless them. except for poor ol larry czonka who only shows hunting and fishing in little ol alaska

my least favorite are the texas food plot hunting shows. they seldom leave texas. that "mr white tail larry w" should be ashamed of himself. he takes more deer in a single season than most people do in a lifetime. as he is supposed to be some sort of game management profesional. hunting food plots and mechanical feeders in fenced game ranches is not only boring but it seems unethical also. i bet most of them won't even eat venison.

my other pet peeve is profesional trophy hunters. now i don't really care how many heads are hung on their walls. what bothers me is the total attention paid to the size of the horns. i'm not jealous of how many world record trophies you have, i would like to see them respect the animal more by taking care of it. just once i would like to see some of these horn hunters start to gut their animal or talk about proper care of the meat. hell, you are lucky to see some of these hotshot hunters drag the undressed carcus 10 feet just for the cameras. pulling the trigger is the easy part if you want to call yourself a hunter then take care of your game.
Old September 14, 2009, 10:51 AM   #20

A few

All were bowhunts. I shot a 7 point over a deer decoy set up as a buck that would have made any hunting show. Not because he was moby buck, just the way he came in with his ears pinned back ready to fight this strangely motionless buck in his turf. Rattled in another 7 point an arrowed him....that would have been a nice one to get on tape. Shot my biggest, a real dandy 8 point after one of his buddies got done chasing a doe around my hunting area for about 30 minutes. He came in to see what all the grunting and crashing was all about. That would have been cool to have on tape just because of the way it all unfolded.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm sure we've all had hunts that are film worthy AND I'd be willing to bet that we didn't need six sponsors, half of a Bass Pro shop in a back pack, and it probably took more than a half hour to do it.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old September 14, 2009, 12:13 PM   #21
SgtMeatballs

Since I am just beginning to hunt, I feel as if all of my hunts are T.V. quality, mostly for my off-the-wall questions to my friend and making such a big deal out of taking that squirell (and asking what to do with it) or using 25rds per 1 dove....

I can't watch most hunting T.V. programs due to my hatred towards having advertisments shoved down my throat during the program, though duck/buck commander DVDs are fun to watch in my opinion.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Old September 14, 2009, 12:14 PM   #22
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If hunting weren't fun, I'd never have done it. And the camaderie around the campfire was a big part of the deal. Outside and campfire, not indoors in a rustic motel-like deal.

I don't like the TV emphasis on "The kill is everything!" And all that phony whispering BS turns me off. It's just studio voice-over, and the whispering just makes it silly.

Sorry. When I'm hunting, I sure don't need some doofus with a video cam pestering me...

Granted, the progreams' scenery is nice, and for those who don't have much outdoor time it at least allows some dreaming. Different strokes for different folks.
Old September 14, 2009, 12:42 PM   #23
Scorch

And now for an opinion that some will find offensive:

If your hunts are boring, make them interesting by learning about what you are trying to hunt. Then when you go hunting, you can actually expect to compete with a deer in a battle of wits.

If you aren't in good enough shape to get out and hunt hard to find game, get off you fat behind and get out running for 3 months before you go hunting. There's nothing good on TV anyway!

If you sit in a treestand all day so you can ambush a deer, and that is your opinion of hunting, I feel sorry for you. Try hunting in Nevada or Montana, where there aren't very many trees. Besides, when you are hunting 8,000' above sea level, the running you did will help. A lot!

If you think TV shows are boring and unrealistic, get out of your house with a gun in your hand. You will find more deer outside your house anyway.

I'm with a few others here: it's not about the kill. I worked in a slaughterhouse for 3 years, and during that time I saw literally millions of cattle killed. If it were all about the kill, that should have been a dream job! You'll have to trust me when I say it was not.:barf:

I have seen a few hunting shows that were pretty good, but the great majority of them are predictable, poorly executed, and paid advertisement for camo, guns, and bow makers.

I may not get out every week at 2 PM Central Time/12 PM PST, but when I do, it is more memorable than a 30-minute show. I could tell you about waking up under 12" of fresh snow in the Sierra Nevada, about dragging a 200 lbs mulie more than a mile through the sagebrush, about cooking outdoors on a Coleman stove in the middle of a snowstorm, about nearly suffering heatstroke on an antelope hunt, and so on. I can even tell you about getting skunked and driving home at 2 AM and getting up and driving to work at 5 AM, something you definitely won't see on a hunting show. Hunting is about you getting outdoors and hunting.
Old September 14, 2009, 12:49 PM   #24
FrontSight

"The best part of hunting was the excitement of it before and the talking about it after..."
Old September 14, 2009, 01:20 PM   #25
taylorce1

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m94KL_1W3-I

Hope the link works! Buck McNeely makes a shot on a running pronghorn in high wind. Obviously the acting is terrible as they reenact the kill shot of the hunt. I'd sure hate to hunt with that blowhard or be his guide.

BTW if you call him out on it on youtube your comment is deleted. This link has been running over on Accuratereloading for some time now.