The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 11, 2013, 01:50 AM   #26
JimmyR

Sorry to hear about your brother. I inherited mine from my dad after he passed away. He would travel to various arts and craft shows, and he kept his Minx in one of those zippered bank bags with his loose cash. Mine is the old 950B. Fun little pea shooter.
Old October 11, 2013, 02:00 AM   #27
BuckRub

Thanks man. Yea good little guns to get but hate to get a gun that way. Yea I had fun shooting mine earlier right at dark. I hit a bird at about 23 yards. I usually am shooting something about 4-6 days a week.
And hate to hear your loss as well.
Old October 11, 2013, 04:30 AM   #28
dayman

Quote:
The Beretta Minx is the Model 950B or BS in .22 Short. Same gun
You learn something new every day.
Mine was the 950BS. I bought it because it was pretty (blued, with wood handles, and gold highlights), and before i was really into carrying. I do remember that it was remarkably accurate for such a little gun.
Once I started carrying on a regular basis I decided all the gold wasn't really to my taste, and .22 short was kind of a pain to find. So I sold it, to fund the purchase of something or other.
Only after selling it did I find out that it was the one gun my wife had actually liked shooting, and the only gun she's ever been upset that i sold. C'est la vie.

If I bump across another one at a reasonable price I'll probably buy it.

But, like I said. I kept it unchambered in a vest pocket without a holster with no ill effects.
For pants pockets I'd get some sort of a pocket holster.
Pocket holsters - at least the ones I've used - are built so they "stick" to the inside of your pocket. They keep your pistol secure, and in the same position so you don't need to worry about it getting stuck. I think you'd find it's easier to draw from a pocket holster than it is to draw from a pocket without a holster.
If you're planning on keeping in a pants pocket i'd definitely recommend you try one. They're generally cheap enough that it's not much of a risk anyway.

Last edited by dayman; October 11, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old October 11, 2013, 04:50 AM   #29
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman
But, like I said. I kept it unchambered in a vest pocket without a holster with no ill effects.
See, I would always keep a round in the chamber for carrying. The tip up barrel prevents bullet set 100%, and especially with the additional safety, those little guys could be carried hammer down, safety up with no worries what-so-ever.
Old October 11, 2013, 05:12 AM   #30
dayman

If memory serves, I found it easier to rack the slide than work the miniaturized controls with my sausage fingers.
Plus, i wasn't carrying it for defense so much as varmint removal.
At the time we were having issues with woodchucks (and one skunk) under the barn, and the .22 short was pretty perfect for humanely putting down trapped animals. (my wife's joke was that while the trap might have a heart, I didn't)
Old October 11, 2013, 05:35 AM   #31
JimmyR

I got big hands with skinny fingers, so the barrel catch was easier for me to handle. I guess to each his/her own.