The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 3, 2019, 05:42 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Harris Bipod Worth It?

I am looking into getting a bipod for AR-15. I have a few 30 round mags that is uncomfortable when using bag. At Cabela's, near me I have seen the Harris which is the expensive ones they have their followed by BlackHawk and Caldweld. I am shooting off bench but would like to start doing prone shooting as well. Are the Harris worth the expense or better off with Caldwell? I am open to suggestions online as well. It is my fault for waiting long as wanted to buy to use for this weekend.

I don't know what the pros/cons are in getting Harris and other brand. Reason why I ask about Harris is it has been showing up a good number on searches and has good reviews. Thanks for the help.
Old May 3, 2019, 08:17 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

I own Harris, Caldwell, and Blackhawk.
I would rate them in that order.
There are, of course, other brands out there (and I have used a few of them). But the list above are the three brands that I currently own - or have recently owned.

I like the Harris. It's good. It's light. It works.

The Caldwells are lower quality in terms of fit, finish, and machining; but I use them more than the Harris. They're not as light as a comparable Harris, but not too far off. And they do work.

The Blackhawk... Low quality. Heavy for their size. The two that I actually paid money for had to be returned to the store, because I could not mount them on the intended firearms (one Picatinny mount, one sling swivel mount). The geometry was all out of whack, due to low quality machining and sheet metal stampings. (The springs were massively over-powered, as well.) The other Blackhawk bipod, I got for free. ...And gave it away when I discovered that it didn't meet Picatinny rail dimensions - it was more like a Chi-catinny rail mount.

Is the Harris worth it? In some situations, I would say yes.
But if you're mostly shooting from a prone position for practice, plinking, informal competition, whatever, I would probably buy the Caldwell. Plenty good for the job, and the little bit of extra weight doesn't matter when you're not carrying it.
Old May 3, 2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Ricekila

Yes --

Μολών Λaβέ
Old May 3, 2019, 10:48 PM   #4
bamaranger

materials

I've seen this debated before, and the general consensus was that the USA made Harris has slightly higher quality materials. Tubing, rivets, threads and so on hold up better over the long run.

That said, I have both a Harris and several lesser brands. Side by side, it's hard to tell them apart, as they are the same size. But the Harris has never burped, but I've had to dork with the off brands.
Old May 4, 2019, 04:33 AM   #5
ninosdemente

Guess that answers my question then. Thanks guys.

I do have a Caldwell on a 22lr, can't complain as its just a 22lr bolt action.

Now, I have seen different models. Other than the picatinny or swivel style. I have seen different models, is there one that works well for AR? Was looking into 6-9". Also what are your opinions on swivel and non swivel. Would it be depending on environment/field that it is used at?

I noticed the BlackHawk was bulkier than the other two brands.
Old May 4, 2019, 04:42 AM   #6
ninosdemente

I found the different model types:
https://www.harrisbipods.com/

At the store I saw a model "L".
Old May 4, 2019, 07:52 AM   #7
std7mag

I went a different route.
After seeing an Atlas bipod, i wanted to try one, but at $200, not that badly.
I found an "imitation" on Amazon from a company called Green Blob. ($60) Their claim to fame is a green glowing fish lure.

I have to say, i'm pretty pleased with it.
The legs are individually adjustable. You can turn it 90 degrees, a bonus for huntint or PRS shooting.
The accessories for an Atlas fit on it. Leg extenders, different feet.

I'd recommend it.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 4, 2019, 09:17 AM   #8
MarkCO

Don't buy knock-offs. Cheap crap and theft of IP!

Harris is good, the metal Caldwell is decent. The MagPul (about $100) and the Caldwell Accumax (premium with CF legs) are both a little better, lighter and functional.

Yes, I have 2 Atlas and the new Warne (awesome) but for most casual shooters/hunters, both are overkill. Even though I have them, I usually don't use them on my hunting rifles.

I own all of these and am really trying to get a video done with a comparison of use and features in different environments.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:23 AM   #9
ninosdemente

I did see the Caldwell Accumax on the shelf for $60-70$(?). Magpul did cross my mind as the AR has several MAGPUL items.... majority came MAGPUL.

I looked up the Green Blob, Warne and Atlas bipods.... yeah, a no for Warne/Atlas. Lol.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:35 AM   #10
ninosdemente

Just saw this video on Harris vs Atlas.... well one of many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-WkipfKzo
Old May 4, 2019, 11:51 AM   #11
jmorris

There are better bipods than Harris and a number of Chinese clones of the Harris, some of them are good enough most folks couldn’t tell the difference if you used the two side by side and yeah some are crap.

“knock offs” are not always cheap crap, just look at how many folks are making 1911’s these days, lots of them now are better that the original Colts.
Old May 4, 2019, 02:44 PM   #12
std7mag

If Atlas made a $60 bipod, i'd buy from them.
Not in budget for a $200 bipod.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 9, 2019, 06:01 PM   #13
ninosdemente

Any suggestion on swivel or non swivel. I don't know good application as I don't use these at all. I do have one for 22lr, Caldwell and does swivel but only for bench shooting. Bought very cheap, at time was on sale.

Main application is for bench and prone... swivel would work best if done prone in case ground (grass/dirt?) is not even.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:08 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Swivel ("pan") is not needed.

"Tilt", however, can sometimes be useful if you're shooting on a "natural" surface that may be uneven. It's annoying to adjust the legs sometimes - especially if the ground is VERY uneven - and easy to just "tilt" the rifle to proper orientation for firing.
Old May 10, 2019, 01:55 AM   #15
ninosdemente

I found these 2:

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...prod87338.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...prod87337.aspx
Old May 11, 2019, 08:06 AM   #16
shiyfire

I own a few harris bipods now. I have tried atlas and there just now woth it to me. The cheaper caldwell bipods are softer than a harris i have bent the frame on those where the legs are supported
Old May 11, 2019, 08:32 AM   #17
MarkCO

If I did not shoot precision matches out past 1K, the Harris and MagPul would be the only ones of the dozen or so brands I could justify.

One Harris tip, especially off a concrete bench. Don't shoot with the legs collapsed, only locked in a notch. Otherwise the little bounce will affect your groups slightly.
Old June 3, 2019, 05:49 AM   #18
rms65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
If I did not shoot precision matches out past 1K, the Harris and MagPul would be the only ones of the dozen or so brands I could justify.

One Harris tip, especially off a concrete bench. Don't shoot with the legs collapsed, only locked in a notch. Otherwise the little bounce will affect your groups slightly.
Great tip. Makes total sense. I have found even a bipod that has worked a little loose doesn't group as well as one socked down. That's why I don't use the swivel(tilt) and pan models. That's just me and I primarily shoot off of comfortable flat surfaces. Thank you.
Old June 3, 2019, 02:34 PM   #19
PlatinumCore16

The caldwell's will probably hold up with range use on a small caliber rifle. If you are shooting anything bigger, a la 30cal, I would just save your time and get a Harris. You will appreciate you did.

If you are planning to use this in the wilderness, I would highly recommend the Magpul. It is solid, and has pan and tilt adjustments that REALLY come in handy when shooting from imrpovised positions. It doesn't go quite as tall as the longer Harris models. So if you know you'll want a taller bipod, then go with HArris. You will want their pan and tilt adjustments, though, so the pan is a second attachment and just make sure yo uget the tilt model of bipod.