The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 31, 2019, 10:43 PM   #1
Prof Young

ISO kid friendly shooting glasses . . .

So I had six year old grandson at range yesterday and we cut the session off when his shooting glasses, under the pressure of the ear muffs, started to hurt his ears. I recall this complaint from from my older grandson and think it's time to make a change.

Sure, one solution is to use ear plugs instead of muffs, but I'm not sure I can trust that he'll get them far enough into his ears to do the job right.

So I need either ear protection that will work no matter what, that is of the plug style, or I need shooting glasses that are kid friendly where in the ear pieces lay flat on his head or are soft enough to remain comfortable under the muffs.

Talk to me please.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old April 1, 2019, 04:25 AM   #2
Nathan

Quote:
Sure, one solution is to use ear plugs instead of muffs, but I'm not sure I can trust that he'll get them far enough into his ears to do the job right.
They won’t and often they won’t complain at the range...

These are available for $2-$3 at a safety store. They run small, are flat on sides and are ANSI rated.
Old April 1, 2019, 09:48 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Most home improvement type stores have child-size safety goggles available with soft straps and ANSI lenses.
While not "cool", they work.
My son is crazy. He loves them.
Old April 1, 2019, 10:00 AM   #4
FITASC

DON'T go with just plugs, the hearing damage can be permanent. The goggles with elastic bands works great if small glasses are still too big.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; April 2, 2019 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old April 1, 2019, 12:12 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

ANSI did have different ratings for optical lenses. Unless it's been changed, there are ANSI standards for shooting glasses, safety glasses, impact resistance, etc. I'm now retired and may be behind the times regarding this, but not all ANSI approvals cover shooting glasses. Might want to check on what you're covered with when you use them. Be safe.
Old April 2, 2019, 12:53 AM   #6
10-96

Looking at those 3M glasses and thinking about those goggles with straps... Seems a feller could cut the earpieces back to 1" - 1.5", slot them, and add an elastic strap. I've got a 7 y/o that's nearly got enough control over her fidgets to start going to the range with me, and I think I'll ponder on that a little more.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 2, 2019, 07:49 AM   #7
FITASC

no need for slots, a thin sunglass "chum" should do the job as well
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 4, 2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Prof Young

Thanks to one and all.

Thanks to one and all. Rest assured it will not be plugs only. I had thought of the elastic strap idea. I'll let you all know what we come up with.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old April 8, 2019, 08:29 PM   #9
Prof Young

Sports impact glasses with strap . . .

I found some sports impact glasses with an elastic strap. The nose piece is padded. Tried them out with the boyz and all is well.

Life is good.
Prof young
Old April 9, 2019, 08:16 AM   #10
big al hunter

Sounds like you found a solution. The previous post about ANSI ratings is correct. You want Z87.1 rated lenses. They handle impact and stop penetration. If the sport glasses you have are rated it will be marked on the frames, usually just Z87.1 stamped or embossed.
Old April 9, 2019, 08:53 AM   #11
Doyle

Even as an adult I have a hard time finding the right combination of glasses and muffs. Almost makes me want to get out the super glue and try and design my own combination muff/glasses that are all one unit.
Old April 10, 2019, 05:03 PM   #12
gwpercle

I have to wear prescription tri focal glasses to see anything ...that's a must !
That's OK because the high tech polycarbonate lenses act as safety glasses .
The muff cushion and glasses frames have always been a problem. Ear plugs only get uncomfortable real fast...but I've not been able to come up with a solution...
I'm going to pick up a new pair of glasses and will talk to the technician about prescription glasses / goggles that have a elastic band...if that's possible and not too costly then that might be an option for me .
Interesting thought !
Gary
Old April 10, 2019, 06:48 PM   #13
Prof Young

Big Al - Thanks.

Big Al, thanks. That is useful information. I'll look for that on the boys glasses.

In response to other posts, I too wear trifocals so shooting is generally a "fun" time. I use plugs and muffs always save for when I'm hunting and just use electronic muffs. The temples of my glasses are tight to my skin as I have a big head, so the muffs fit over my ears well. There are lots of really soft modern plugs that I can wear without discomfort. The real problem with plugs is getting them in right. Getting them out is no sweat as I use the kind that are attached via a string.

Life is good.
Prof Young