The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 8, 2015, 02:23 PM   #51
The Verminator

Well, those of us who have been carrying for many years are usually old-timers and we figure we'll lose the quick draw contest anyhow.

Old March 8, 2015, 02:34 PM   #52
jimbob86

Verm, I'm not there yet (don't have your many, many years of experience) .... but like I said elsewhere- it's still a free country, and folks will carry what they think they should .....

In my own case, I don't shoot anything not a SAO well enough to trust myself to try to hit anything, especially at speed .....

I'd be better off with a short sturdy blade than a snubby.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old March 8, 2015, 05:03 PM   #53
Limnophile

The Verminator has a point. My carry guns are compacts, because my first priority was to be able to carry concealed with some degree of ease, and my second criterion was wanting a full 3-finger grip. Thus, subcompacts were out. But, after three years of carry experience, I can see the advantage of a pocket pistol. I can and have pocket carried my compacts, but it is by no means a preferred mode. A pocket pistol with less than half the bulk volume would carry nicely in my pocket no matter what I am wearing.

While one can find nice pocket pistols chambered in 9 Luger, I would not choose one because of potential lack of control due to a 2-fingered grip on a light platform. A smaller caliber and slower draw don't concern me, as having access to a any firearm beats being unarmed, and even .25 Auto from a pocket pistol will meet IWBA penetration criteria with FMJs.

The bottom line is that there are times I leave my home unarmed, despite going to locations where carry is not prohibited, but with a pocket pistol I believe such behavior would cease.
Old March 8, 2015, 05:34 PM   #54
The Verminator

The "two-finger grip" problem was not a big problem for me, but it did bother a little--so I popped a new magazine base from GAP Enterprises on the stock Glock 26 magazine. Didn't change concealability for me at all (big pockets).

This gives me a grip that's as good as I have on any gun. For that matter, I can shoot the little Glock better than I can shoot the big ones (doesn't seem like it should, but there it is).

Concealment is not a problem. Although a Smith J frame would be better, the Glock 26 works fine even without "Clown Pants."

I wear some good hiker pants from Cabela's most of the time. Big deep pockets. No problem. They make the same model in shorts for the summer. I have a DeSanti's pocket holster that works quite well (it's even fairly fast coming out of the pocket).

Pocket carry is cool and comfortable. Sometimes "years of experience" means years of being annoyed by trying to carry guns that are just too big.

I know you young guys know better, but sometimes as you get older you go with comfort more and more.

I sometimes carry a spare magazine and if I do it's a Glock 17 magazine. With that you don't have to worry about a two-finger grip and it gives you 17 rounds (I figure by the time the spare is expended everybody in the immediate vicinity--including me--will probably be dead or wounded).

Most of my spares are 17 mags. I figure if you're gonna have a spare......might as well have a few extra rounds.

If I absolutely have to wear dress pants that are tighter and less concealing--I'll go with my good old Smith Model 36 Chief in .38 Special with a speed strip of 5 as a spare.

All this, of course, is just my preference and the place I've come to after many years. Who knows what will work for you?

Old March 8, 2015, 06:43 PM   #55
hartcreek

Your gun is puny compared to some of my EDC guns. You have to dress around what ever you choose to carry and that includes cover garments and a proper fitting belt. The choice of belt is up to you. I just use old fashioned stiff workbelts and put the holes where I need them.
Old March 9, 2015, 09:06 AM   #56
TimSr

Brit, I'm simply going to disagree with your premise that concealed carry needs have anything to do with an anecdotal (and highly unusual) home invasion scenario.
Old March 9, 2015, 08:34 PM   #57
zach_

The pocket pistol sounds good until a nut crusher incident occurs. Is there a preferred holster, gun/holster combo.... that resists the natural movement of involved parts to not conflict? Newbie question I know, but I must ask...... Yard work was involved in the back yard with likely rabid opossum in play. No public carry yet, soon to come.
Old March 9, 2015, 08:52 PM   #58
The Verminator

DeSantis pocket holster and Glock 26.

No nut crushing involved.

I've carried that way for going on a decade and the nuts have never been threatened in any way.

Old March 12, 2015, 08:17 PM   #59
coyotewsm

Finally received my new holster today made by frontline. This is a tuckable holster however when I tried tucking my shirt in it just sucked the shirt in around the gun, completely noticeable. However the slight forward cant of the holster really help with concealing when not tucking.
Old March 13, 2015, 02:34 AM   #60
skizzums

the only holster I have found that is easy to tuck in a shirt with is the "VersaCarry", the holster itself sucks, but it works for that purpose. I would never use a VersaCarry w/o a solid safety though. you can put the shirt between the delrin rod and the front clip, so all you see is a little clip on your belt. pretty discreet, but the holster itself provides minimal protection
Old March 14, 2015, 03:31 PM   #61
Brit

Well! My ideas are different, I know. But the idea that whatever has happened, just once, any where, could happen to me, just as soon as tomorrow! Maybe even today? It is a long way to midnight!

So, as an old guy, well retired, and I can carry what I want, as long as it is legal, I can get to it fairly quickly, it has enough bullets (16 rounds of 147g HP) and I can hit a 2" circle at 7m, an eye socket, I am a happy chap.

I have no problem with shooting with one hand, either one, and I have seen a lot of shooters who do not like to do that.

So if I get into a shooting/attack, where I only get to fire one, or two rounds, a bonus! Those other rounds do not eat nothing!
Old March 15, 2015, 02:44 PM   #62
FireForged

Quote:
Given you just bought your first handgun and almost immediately started carrying it - I suggest that you look into some reasonable training dealing with civilian carry.

This
Old March 15, 2015, 03:23 PM   #63
The Verminator

Quote:
Well! My ideas are different, I know. But the idea that whatever has happened, just once, any where, could happen to me, just as soon as tomorrow! Maybe even today? It is a long way to midnight!

So, as an old guy, well retired, and I can carry what I want, as long as it is legal, I can get to it fairly quickly, it has enough bullets (16 rounds of 147g HP) and I can hit a 2" circle at 7m, an eye socket, I am a happy chap.

I have no problem with shooting with one hand, either one, and I have seen a lot of shooters who do not like to do that.

So if I get into a shooting/attack, where I only get to fire one, or two rounds, a bonus! Those other rounds do not eat nothing!
True enough!!!
Old March 15, 2015, 03:49 PM   #64
Water-Man

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...-t-shirts.aspx

Now that warmer weather is approaching, this long-tail t-shirt is good for concealed carry.
Old March 15, 2015, 03:51 PM   #65
Water-Man

http://www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/catalog_2.html

These are a good alternative belt to the Beltman. I have both.
Old March 15, 2015, 04:25 PM   #66
coyotewsm

Waterman I'll keep the shirts in but I have already ordered the belt.
Old March 15, 2015, 08:56 PM   #67
Limnophile

Quote:
This is a tuckable holster however when I tried tucking my shirt in it just sucked the shirt in around the gun, completely noticeable.
The reason I went to OWB as my primary means of carry is I didn't want to maintain a wardrobe of size-larger pants and, when tucking, shirts. Foregoing tucking becomes a natural option, and can be done with a normal-sized shirt. Embrace the casual slob look, which happens to be chic these days.
Old March 15, 2015, 09:29 PM   #68
coyotewsm

My normal attire is a T-shirt and jeans or carhardts but I do like to dress up sometimes. Living down here in sweatville does make things harder.
Old March 16, 2015, 11:39 AM   #69
Brit

Limnophile,

Casual/slob? I resemble that description!
Old March 20, 2015, 07:54 PM   #70
coyotewsm

So after carrying my SR40 for a little while I have decided that I want something a little smaller. My big question is should I stay with the 40 or switch to 9 mm. Thinking about the SR9c or the smith and Wesson shield.
Old March 20, 2015, 08:46 PM   #71
Limnophile

Quote:
I resemble that description!
Brit, you'd be at home on a red carpet: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...37_634x916.jpg.
Old March 20, 2015, 08:50 PM   #72
Limnophile

Quote:
My big question is should I stay with the 40 or switch to 9 mm.
Given that the FBI nows says that 9 Luger is the optimal law enforcement caliber, odds are you will switch sooner or later. The 9 Luger gives you performance advantages. Having guns in different calibers gives you diversity that's handy during ammo shortages.

The US military may well soon ditch the 9 NATO for a larger caliber, but they, unlike you, are hampered by The Hague Convention.

Last edited by Limnophile; March 20, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old March 20, 2015, 09:04 PM   #73
coyotewsm

Quote:
Given that the FBI now says that 9 Luger is the optimal law enforcement caliber
Why is that? Doesn't the 40 have more punch than the 9?
I thought the reason the 40 was developed in the first place was due to the failure or the 9 during that shootout in the 80's.
Old March 20, 2015, 10:12 PM   #74
Mitchum

Quote:
I thought the reason the 40 was developed in the first place was due to the failure or the 9 during that shootout in the 80's.
Yep. There was a TV movie about the event in the late 80's. FBI agents were shooting 9mm and the 2 BG's were hit several times but stayed alive long enough to kill at least 2 of the agents. That I remember. Think at the time it did prompt FBI to upgrade the caliber of their std issue.

Not sure that is specifically why the 40 was made. I'm sure someone here with more knowlsdge on the subject can respond.
Old March 20, 2015, 10:47 PM   #75
Koda94

the 40 doesnt have any more "stopping power" than the 9. The FBI needed an excuse to cover their disaster. If I was going to downsize to a compact carry gun I would switch to the 9 it will likely hold more rounds than the equivelent size 40...