The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2009, 12:55 AM   #1
droppedime

Help with powder weight?

Does this page seem legit?

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/P...%20to%2092.pdf

Im using 115gr hollow points an figured id ask you guys before i started. Im using some older Accurate No.7 powder, its prob ten yrs old but the seal has never been broke on the container. On the bottle it says its a ball type powder developed for the 9mm. So does the grain weight seem alright to start from then min load an try to slowly work my way up? This is my first time reloading btw...
Old November 23, 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Christchild

That Data will be safe.

I use Accurate Arms powder and have their PDF Load Data as well. AA#7 is a bit slower (slower burn rate) powder than alot of what's used for 9mm. AA#5 is a little bit faster (I use #5 for .45 Auto).

But, to give You a direct answer, Yes, You can definitely use the AA#7 for 9mm, and follow that load data. As always, start low (listed starting load) and work up... Double check, then triple check Your work! Be meticulous in Your Handloading.

Stay Safe! (Handloading can be Dangerous) Welcome to TFL... and Welcome to the World of Handloading...
Old November 23, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3
droppedime

Thank you for the response.. An when you say No.5 burns faster what is the benifits of that? Compared to the powder i will be using? I just dont wanna push my luck this early on..
Old November 23, 2009, 12:28 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

Usually a slower powder will give better velocities with heavier bullets and a faster powder can give better velocities with lighter bullets. But looking at the AA data the velocities are nearly the same for all bullet weights and all three AA powders.

In rifle cartridges there is a relationship between powder capacity, bullet weight and diameter of case mouth. Slower powders tend to be better as the caliber decreases and the bullet weight increases for a given case capacity. However, this does not always, or even often, apply for handgun. For instance, one of the fastest powders, Bullseye, seems to do well in almost any cartridge and with nearly any bullet. The big dividing line is with magnum loads in which slow powders such as AA9, W296, H110, 2400 excel.

One powder may prove to be more accurate or cycle better in your particular handgun. Maybe not, just have to try them to find out. Other than that, you use about 25% less powder with AA5 compared to AA7 (cheaper).

I have used a lot of AA5 for 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP. Works fine. Never tried any AA7.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 23, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Christchild

A faster burning, faster burn rate powder, burns faster. It builds pressure more quickly.

Say, if You use the same cartridge (in Your case, 9mm Luger), same bullet and bullet weight (115 grain HP), the faster burning powder AA#5 will build pressure faster than AA#7.

If You look at Your Load Data PDF You have posted, Max. Load #5 is 6.3 grains, generating 33,000 CUP (pressure), while it takes a Max. Load of 8.7 grains of AA#7 to generate the same amount of pressure. Slower powders, like AA#7 are better suited for the heavier bullets in Your 9mm cartridge.

Here's a little more Accurate Arms Load Data. Compare bullet weights, powder charges, velocities and pressures.

But if You notice, the AA#7 generates more velocity, because the powder burns behind the bullet longer, building pressure for a little while longer, while the bullet is still traveling down the barrel. But there is also a factor to be aware of... DO NOT use a powder that's even slower than the AA#7 in Your 9mm Cartridge, unless it's in Published, Up To Date Load Data. Slower Burning Powders, well, generate pressure more slowly. A slower Pistol Powder, like AA#9, is generally used in Heavier, "Magnum" Handgun/Pistol Cartridges, like .44 Magnum, for example. These kind of Heavier Cartridges have more Case Capacity and use Heavier Bullets. They need the slower powder to SAFELY push the heavier bullets. In less extreme cases, if You used a powder that's too slow for Your cartridge, You'll end up with CRAP Accuracy, and UNburned powder. In more "extreme" cases, Pressure Spikes can occur (NOT good), and You can damage/destroy Your firearm and/or injure/kill Yourself.

Always use Published, Current, Up To Date Load Data,and stay within those guidelines.
Old November 23, 2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Christchild

Reading Your 2nd post again, and this kind of goes Hand-In-Hand with using powders that are too slow....

The benefits of the faster powder, is when it's used correctly (follow load data) it burns completely, typically not leaving UNburned powder. When the powder burns more completely, You tend to get more Uniform Burn (shot to shot), so if Your powder charges are consistent, You'll tend to get uniform Shot to Shot pressures, aiding in accuracy.
Old November 23, 2009, 01:01 PM   #7
droppedime

You guys are very informational.. Now after going back to my bench i have found the 115hp, 122 round nose, an 125 round nose bullets. The Hp have a copper jacket while the others dont if that matters? So from what i have gathered from the responses is that with the No.7 powder i would have better results using the heavier grain bullets in this application?
Old November 23, 2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Christchild

1), Cast Lead (non-copper-jacketed) bullets are not the same as copper jacketed bullets. You'll need to locate load data for the Cast bullets. It'll usually be similar, but not the same.

2), Once You find the load data for the cast bullets, You'll just have to try different loads, always starting low. Same with the heavier jacketed bullets... As long as You have listed load data for the bullets and the powder You're using, again, start low, and try different loads.
Old November 23, 2009, 02:35 PM   #9
NWPilgrim

A 124 gr bullet is still considered relatively light (mid-weight) for 9mm. Not much difference between 115 gr and 124 gr from a powder burn rate perspective.

If you load more cartridges than 9mm I would recommend getting AA5 as that has wider application in other cartridges and bullet weights. If you only load for 9mm and 115-124 gr bullets then it really doesn't make much difference between AA5 and AA7. AA5 should have less muzzle flash as the powder will burn faster and more completely within the barrel.

I have used powders in the approximate AA5 range (W231, AA5, Unique, Universal) to load everything from .38 special, 9mm Makarov, medium .44 magnum, and full power 9mm, .40, and .45acp.

As noted above, cast lead bullets generally require a bit less powder than jacketed bullets, but you should check data tables for lead bullets, such as Lyman.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 23, 2009, 10:59 PM   #10
droppedime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPilgrim
cast lead bullets generally require a bit less powder than jacketed bullets, but you should check data tables for lead bullets, such as Lyman
Got any links perhaps?
Old November 24, 2009, 12:13 AM   #11
NWPilgrim

The data linked to shows it for 125 gr lead round nose:

125 (L) RN
No. 2 4.2 935 No. 2 5.0 1123 30100 1.100"
No. 5 5.6 997 No. 5 6.2 1133 32800
No. 7 7.5 1017 No. 7 8.3 1156 32500

I checked and Lyman's doesn't list AA7 for the 125 gr LRN, just for the 147 gr lead.
- James Madison