The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 9, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1
smee78

Remington 552 Gallery Gun 22 short

So I went to meet a guy who had a air hose for sale on craigslist, I get the hose and he said he was selling off most of the tools he had in his garage (getting out of the construction business) and as I'm looking around I see 2 boxes of 22lr wildcats sitting on a shelf, I make a comment about them and he said he did not even have a 22lr anymore and said I could have them if I wanted, I said yes, thanked him and he said he was selling a 22 short rifle if I was interested. He walked across the garage and pulled it out of a soft gun case and I knew what it was right a way, a Remington 552 gallery gun. He had owned the gun from the time he was a young man and had no use for it anymore and said he was asking $100 dollars for it, he said he had the barrel reblued and that was it. I only had $80 on me and I asked if he would take that and he said yes. Happy Day Happy Day...while its not in perfect condition due to it being reblued on the barrel it is still in verry good looking condition ....Picks to follow.
Old March 9, 2012, 10:38 PM   #2
MOshooter65202

Nice find!
Old March 11, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
smee78

Thanks, I will have to pick up some shorts and try it out.
Old March 11, 2012, 07:39 PM   #4
mdd

I have never seen one of those rifles. Pictures would be appreciated. Sounds like a great find.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
ksstargazer

The Remington 552 is a great little .22 semiautomatic rifle. It shoots S, L, and LR ammunition. The tubular magazines holds quite a few rounds, especially when they are shorts. Mine is extremely accurate and fun to plink with out to 100 yards with open sights. Things like golf balls and canning lids are hit almost every time up to 100 yards.
Old March 11, 2012, 11:28 PM   #6
mdd

I have two 552 speed masters I inherited from my grandfather. One has a lot of battle scars and wear. If that rifle could talk, I'd take a month off from work and do nothing but sit and listen to it. However, I've never seen one of the 552 gallery guns in 22 short only.
Old March 12, 2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Saltydog235

Never seent he Gallery Gun, I have a 552 Speedmaster that was my first rifle. My dad insisted that I keep it in like new condiditon and I did.
Old March 12, 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
smee78

The funny thing is it looks just like the regular 552 on the outside but it is marked 22 short only and gallery special on the barrel with a ring on the loading tube to be chaind down to the table for safety. I first learned how to shoot on a 552 my dad has and later I bough one for my self and now this one.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:28 AM   #9
johnbt

I remember those guns and the stupid chains. I was a tall kid and always hated having the gun chained to the counter because it wasn't long enough for me to stand up straight and shoot. I guess I was too tall to shoot hunched over the counter leaning on my elbows. I miss the old carnivals and fairs with their antique shooting galleries.

John