The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 17, 2012, 10:09 PM   #1
MLeake

Non-resistance and statistics

It's often suggested here that robbers are not likely to harm people during a robbery of a store or fast food joint.

Apparently, this guy didn't get the memo:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/17...k=omni_popular

One pistol-whipping, one shooting, in just a few days.

Statistically, the claim that an attempt at self-defense is more likely to result in violence than non-resistance may have some validity.

I'd sure hate to be one of those people getting shot or maimed, though, because I didn't comply satisfactorily enough, or because I caught a bad guy on a day when he was feeling kind of evil.
Old January 17, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2
trex1310

It makes sense that there are more robberies than there are murders.
Unfortunately, the armed robber might be one of those 3 time losers
where it is just as easy to kill you as leave you as a witness. Guessing
what an armed robber might do is where the rub comes in.
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
Old January 17, 2012, 10:25 PM   #3
12GaugeShuggoth

Trying to say that resisting or not resisting is more likely to lead to a certain outcome is silly. No two criminals are exactly the same and no two robberies/muggings/hold-ups are exactly the same. The individual situation determines everything.

I've known people who have complied and not been harmed, also known people who have resisted and not been harmed. Any of them could've just as easily been seriously injured and/or murdered. If it should ever happen to me, I guess I'll have to find out in the moment which list I fall in to. It's not something any of us look forward to.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 18, 2012, 12:28 AM   #4
kinggabby

We should never resist a bad guy. In fact we should give up our guns because no bad guy would ever hurt or kill an unarmed person. Our idea of being able to protect ourselves is purely and illusion. In fact when we decide to lay down our firearms Joe Friday,Kojak, Sam Spade Phillip Marlowe and Roscoe P. Coltrane will all come to our rescue before we get robbed,mugged shot or raped. And I forgot Superman, Spider-man, The Green Lantern and most important of all Captain America will rid us of all evil doers in not just America but through out the entire world.So we as gun owners live in a real fantasy world. Silly us
Old January 18, 2012, 12:53 AM   #5
tlm225

Yes, most robberies end without injury. The problem I have is allowing some crackhead with a gun/knife/club to have all the control over the situation and having the power of life or death over me. If a reasonable opportunity is there, I'm taking control away from him, not spending what may be the rest of my life wondering if the coin is going to land heads or tails.