The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 29, 2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Prof Young

Shooting paper

Shooters:
Okay. Yea I know it's all about personal preference, but if one is only going to shoot paper, why would he purchase anything other than a 22 cal? (And I confess I have a 9mm that I use mostly just to shoot paper.)
Live well, be safe.
Prof Young
Old July 29, 2011, 09:37 PM   #2
vladan

bigger holes works on targets too ... remember, the smaller hole, the closer to the line it have to be to get the same points
Old July 29, 2011, 09:41 PM   #3
steelbird

Recoil junkie?
Love the smell of black powder?
Fond of historic weapons or their lookalikes?
Gangsta wannabe?
Fond of shooting make believe zombies on paper?
All kinds of reasons........
Old July 29, 2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Vividia

Started out as practicing for self defense purposes.

Now it's my version of golf 30 guns plus and growing collection.....
Old July 29, 2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Buzzcook

Because they're fun
Old July 30, 2011, 12:02 AM   #6
SteelChickenShooter

There are different kinds of paper. I have a stack of papers that represent standard IDPA cardboard targets. Actual cardboard targets can be pricey, bulky, and perhaps not easy to work with if you don't have the right kind of supports. They can get shot up pretty quick too. They only hold up to so many pasters before they really are too ragged. The paper option gives you the A zones well marked and they are great for practice. IDPA shooters fire 9mm, 40cal, 45's and so on. For these kinds of papers, there's no point in shooting a 22 at all. I can set these papers up and can introduce others guys to the sport by simulating an actual qualification match. Standard drills gives a guy a good idea of what to expect and he can readily see how his skills compare in a simulated qualification match without having to attend one. Paper allows us to setup practice matches anytime we want.
Old July 30, 2011, 12:54 AM   #7
Mr.Blue

Because .22LR does not get you used to the recoil of a .45acp or .357 magnum. I prefer to practice with the real loads that I will fire in self defense. A .22lr feels like a BB gun to me.
Old July 30, 2011, 01:01 AM   #8
mellow_c

Because shooting paper is a measure of how accurately you are shooting your gun. And it's a nice thing to know with all different guns, not just a .22lr

It's easy to shoot a soda can and say "I hit it!" but with paper you can see if you can keep shooting into the same hole.

When it comes down to it. I have more fun shooing "stuff" than I do shooting paper. But I still shoot plenty of paper.
Old July 30, 2011, 11:53 AM   #9
SteelChickenShooter

But also don't forget you can go to a number of websites and download free paper targets. Then make copies of them. Some of them are fun targets like billiard balls, dart board, bowling pins and so on. For these kinds of targets you can get into some fun competition with friends and family. But of course, for these papers, the 22 is the right choice. Henry rifles with open sights, shooting shorts, Ruger 10-22's with AO scopes and target turret knobs, auto-loading 22 pistols with red dots....granted, the 22 would rule if this is all the shooting a person did.
Old July 30, 2011, 12:04 PM   #10
The Janitor

Because cats move around too much. Paper is easier to hit.
Old July 30, 2011, 12:29 PM   #11
MrBorland

Because you can reload centerfire target rounds, specifically tailored for your gun.

Because you can participate in paper-shooting run-and-gun games, such as IDPA & USPSA or in formal bullseye shooting, which require a CF.
Old July 30, 2011, 01:45 PM   #12
old bear

I hope all I ever have to shot again is paper. The only reason I even shoot at paper any longer is to maintain what shooting skills I have left, so I feel it's necessary to practice with the same gun I will be carrying for S/D.
Old July 30, 2011, 07:19 PM   #13
l98ster

I shoot just about every discipline. Paper, although not as exciting as some others, allows you to hone your skills (trigger control comes to mind). With that being said, I will be buying the new ruger 77/357 for some fun 50 yard paper fun!!!

-George
Old July 30, 2011, 10:53 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

'cause I like to shoot...ANYTHING!!! The bigger the boom, the more the fun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 31, 2011, 09:49 PM   #15
drail

"cause cats move around too much"...... that's funny. I'll be thinking about that all day.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:54 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Shooting paper is training for shooting assailants. .22 is cheap, but at some point you have to train with the weapon you're going to fight with. I do 1911s. I have a .22LR 1911, and it's fun for plinking. But it handles differently than a 1911 in .45 Auto, so I don't really use the .22 very often, unless I'm in a period of depleted funding and need to get in cheap trigger time.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:25 PM   #17
OkieCruffler

Because I find it hard to hit the bull at 200yrds with the 22.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:47 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...why would he purchase anything other than a 22 cal?..." Because .22's aren't allowed in centre fire matches.
"...no point in shooting a .22 at all..." Nonsense.
"....22LR does not get you used to..." Has nothing whatever to do with it. Most people have more trouble shooting a .22 well than they do a .45 or a .357.
In any case, it's not about what you shoot at. It's about how well you can hit what you shoot at. Whether it's a bullseye on a paper target in 10 seconds or a tin can doesn't matter.
l98ster, well said.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:57 PM   #19
C0untZer0

There is something to having the absolute most accurate delivery of something on target.

I've shot in Army small bore competitions and it's fun to shoot those small bore targets. The entire group may only be ΒΌ" across but you might have a hole in the 9 ring, and it's about how many bulls you nailed and not just 10s.

But there are other challenges. In a Commander's Cup match one time - the teams had to run 2 miles and then step to the line to shoot. On the one hand you could say "why do that if you want to fire accurately?" On the other, you can view it as a challenge.
Old July 31, 2011, 11:13 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

C0untZer0 that's well said too. Running then shooting is Summer Biathlon.
The Commander's Cup a unit thing? Just curious.
Old August 1, 2011, 12:27 AM   #21
TheNocturnus

Quote:
Because cats move around too much. Paper is easier to hit.
I am sure you really don't shoot at cats... I hope.

Anyway, have you tried shooting the paper as it sways back and forth after moving the target down range on the line? Those can be hard to hit at times.

OT: I carry guns for SD, so I shoot them for practice and to improve my marksmanship. I also shoot a .22lr just for fun but practicing with my SD guns is a must.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old August 1, 2011, 12:44 AM   #22
Mr.Blue

Quote:
"....22LR does not get you used to..." Has nothing whatever to do with it. Most people have more trouble shooting a .22 well than they do a .45 or a .357.
Thank you, oh omniscient one. How can you answer for why I shoot paper with centerfire? I don't shoot .22lr in a pistol because it is a waste for me. I can get the benefits of the .22 by dry firing and mastering my trigger. .22lr does not prepare you for the recoil that you encounter with larger rounds. I prefer my practice to be with the calbers that I will use to defend myself.
Old August 1, 2011, 05:56 AM   #23
4runnerman

Why????.A 22 won't reach out 600 to 1000 yards. If you are going to shoot 25 yards,,Why buy a rifle?. If it is just pistol shooting,then 22's are very fun and very cheap to shoot. I wouldnt stake my life on one for defense.