The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 28, 2008, 10:19 AM   #1
azredhawk44

Marlin Camp 45 Issue

I went out shooting my Camp 45 after mounting a Millet red dot on it.

For background information... I have an M14 that I try to put at least 50 rounds a month through it, usually closer to 100 and if I'm gluttonous with ammo, I'll put 200 rounds through it. Aside from that, I'll also hit the range either with a Winchester 94 in 30-30 or a Mosin Nagant 91/30. On those sessions I'll burn through about 50 rounds with those particular rifles. That's on top of about a brick a month of .22 for form practice.

This thing beat the crap out of me.

I had a seriously sore shoulder at the end of the day. I went home thinking I was a complete weeny, then started doing some research.

Apparently, Camp 45's ship with an 11 pound recoil spring? Yick.:barf:

I got on to Wolff's website and ordered a 16.5 pound spring. I've heard mention of some sort of "recoil buffer" as well with these rifles. Can anyone enlighten me WRT these things? Do they fail? How do they fail? Where do you get a new one?

Also, Wolff offers a 21 pound recoil spring. Is this worth considering? I don't want to have to tune my ammo differently for my 1911 versus my Camp 45... I want to use the same ammo and have no issues.

Purpose of this rifle is a home defense gun under the bed, fun plinker and something to shoot between the .22 and the .223 for power.
Old September 28, 2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Dave Markowitz

The 16.5# spring will be an improvement but I recommend the 21# spring. It made the gun more pleasant to shoot and it's still reliable using the same 230 grain loads I run in my 1911.

Get a replacement buffer or two from Blackjack Buffers.
Old October 14, 2008, 08:35 PM   #3
azredhawk44

okay, I took the stock off but I'm unable to figure out how to go any further. I don't want to make a mistake and pop the trigger group open... I hear that's a stinker to get back together.

Anyone have good disasembly instructions for the Camp 45 rifles? Also, Marlin's website doesn't have the owner's manual listed. Anyone got a PDF owner's manual for this rifle?

Need help please.

Thanks.

Tags
camp 45 , recoil , spring