The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 29, 2007, 09:46 PM   #26
CK1

Quote:
Would you trust a .243Win rifle to take down your trophy Elk?
Living deep in the heart of TX, when I get to go elk hunting I usually have to drop some change...big change to hunt for say 5 days. I would NEVER take a .243 for a trophy elk hunt. Will it take an elk?...sure under ideal conditions. But on my trophy elk hunts I have yet to experience ideal conditions.

I've used a .300 Weatherby for my elk hunts up to now. I just upgraded to a H.S. Precision PHR in .338 Win Mag. Now that's some serious elk medicine for a trophy hunt.

CK
Old June 30, 2007, 08:25 AM   #27
Jack O'Conner

I'm a big fan of the .243 cartridge. My brother and I plus our families have toppled well over 200 antelope and close to 100 mulies with this cartridge. Winchester designed it as a varmint / deer cartridge and within these parameters it does its BEST work.

Several states allow the use of .243 and 6mm for elk hunting. It's not illegal in Wyoming to hunt elk with the .243 although this would not be my choice.

This large bull weighs about 700 - 775 lbs in my estimation. The angle is perfect for a double lung shot through the ribs. But most bulls do not present such a shot and many hunters lack the skills to get close for a sure shot.

I've met many good hearted Easterners over the years. 30-06 seems to be the most common rifle for their "western big game hunt" and there is very good wisdom with this choice.

Good hunting to you.
Jack
Old June 30, 2007, 09:40 AM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Seems to me the issue here is NOT about whether or not a .243 will kill an elk. The issue is a hit in the vitals at 535 yards. Vital enough that the elk went only 50 yards and flopped over dead.

IMO, it means a spine or heart hit, plus the animal didn't panic. Those are danged small targets when 535 yards comes into the play. "Close" to either won't do a quick kill, IMO.

Again, my opinion: IF it was indeed 535 yards, and Daddy was there, Daddy ain't strong on hunting ethics about clean kills. Sure, luck is very hard to beat, but depending on luck isn't ethical.

Art
Old June 30, 2007, 09:51 AM   #29
Fremmer

The light weight of the .243 round is an issue, especially if it hits a thick elk bone at 500 yards. A heavier round is more likely to break through that bone and penetrate to finish the job. I know that premium bullets will help, but I'd still prefer a heavier round for that distance and animal.

The kid got lucky that the .243 round didn't hit a shoulder bone and fail to penetrate. Think they'd show hours of tracking a wounded elk on the television show? I doubt it.

Anyway, congratulations to the kid, everything (luckily) turned out well. He'll have a heck of a story to tell his friends!

Last edited by Fremmer; June 30, 2007 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Realized that I was agreeing with Art's last post.