The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 27, 2000, 02:30 PM   #1
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Playing with a 670 that's had its stock ruined & need a replacement.

Talked to a 'smith yesterday who said that the only differene 'twixt the 670 & 70 is akin to the Rem's ADL vs BDL = the 70s got a hinged floorplate.

Assuming same action length, are the stocks interchangeable?
Old August 27, 2000, 02:49 PM   #2
ol blue

Labgrade, Don't know for sure the answer to your question. Just thought I'd let you know I currently have a m70 short action stock advertised in the "buy, sell, trade" section, if you are looking. Good luck...ol blue
Old August 27, 2000, 04:03 PM   #3
Robert Foote

I believe that the 670 would have a 'blind' magazine (solid bottom stock in that area). It is quite possible that a standard M70 stock would fit but you would also need a standard M70 hinging floorplate, etc. Depending on how bad the original stock is you might be able to repair it and make it serviceable. It's surprising what can be done. It is just possible that the current 'Ranger' M70 stocks might work but I would go slow until I knew for sure...

I have a Sears Roebuck version of one of these and it is probably the best shooting rifle I own...

------------------
Old August 27, 2000, 04:45 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

That's what I figured re the M70 having the hinged floor plate vs blind on the M670. That's what the 'smith said. Just curious on that if I decided to retro w/a floor plate.

The stock is trashed. Was thinking about trying to rebuild w/glass bedding compound, etc. but it was run over by a truck & is serious shape.
Old February 5, 2001, 03:38 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Reviving this thread due to some(what) updated info.

I just recently inherited :-( an older Winchester M70.

Doing a switch between the M670s & the M70s stocks showed that they are completely interchangable - zip difference between anything I could see to be functional - except that the M70 allows an extra round to be loaded into the magazine.

Looks that any Win M670 could be retrofitted with the M70 stock (& aftermarkets) for the M70 advantages ...

FYI only (& such a lousy way to garner another rifle) :-( X-many frowns ....