The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 24, 2002, 01:05 PM   #1
CZ Gunner

Winchester 9410 Lever Action Shotgun

Looks like a fun gun .. anyone out there shooting it? Any problems (jamming, accuracy, etc.) with it?

It's on my "want list" ... thoughts please.

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD
Old July 24, 2002, 02:05 PM   #2
Intel6

Interesting concept and being a .410 nut I will probably end up with one. One thing I don't like is the inability to take a 3 inch shell. I still prefer my Winchester 42 or my Rem 870 pumps because I can use either length of shells.
Old July 30, 2002, 04:13 PM   #3
CZ Gunner

I figure I'll end up with one as I am a "western shooter" "lever action" nut. Like you said, interesting concept. Sure wish it would take the 3" shells though.

Gunner

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD
Old July 30, 2002, 08:20 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guy had one at the trap range.I handled it but didn't shoot it,I've enough trouble hitting them with a 12.

Looked good, seemed well made. Wood to metal fit was better than most these days. Worked fine.

The problem is,what's it good for?
Old July 30, 2002, 11:24 PM   #5
swampgator

Quote:
as posted by Dave McC
The problem is,what's it good for?
C'mon Dave, I'm sure everyone's got something in the safe that's not good for anything other than saying they've got it!
Old July 31, 2002, 03:56 AM   #6
sm

Friend of a friend has one due in. "What's it good for"

Told the wife the son needed a right of passage. Wife- "honey he's only TWO!" He said oh--guess I'll have to use it -to make sure it works, but it'll be here when he' ready

She laughed , she'll use it too, both shooters, have a farm, any excuse, err reason for a firearm., she is actually worse than he is.

best
Old July 31, 2002, 04:44 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

OK, OK. there's reasons to have things besides pure utility. Still trying to find uses for this thing,tho, my puritanical streak must be kicking.

Here's a couple...

A CAS shooter could pull a Buffalo Bill with it, shooting airborne targets from horseback. Admittedly, it's not QUITE like the smoothbore Winchester 44-40 w/ shot loads old Bill wowed the crowds with, but only the most persnickety would cavil at the differences.

It'd make a decent HD tool for recoil sensitive folks, just like a handgun calibered lever action carbine. Are there 410 00 loads available in 2 1/2" shells? I know there's 3". For many folks, it's a better choice than a handgun. However, everyone should have a handgun also, just because....

It'd make as good a barn/garden gun as there is, tho admittedly expensive.

And, if anyone still indulges in the sport of reducing the number of landfill rats, this would be excellent.

How's that?....
Old July 31, 2002, 05:40 AM   #8
sm

Not bad! I appreciate the utility thing though--kinda gets a Kriegoff guy mad when you outshoot him with a "field gun"

Buckshot, yeah 3 pellets, whoop de do, I wasn't impressed.

best
Old July 31, 2002, 05:58 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1973, 200 grains of lead, 41 caliber, 1200 FPS is about what the old 41 Magnum Police load was. It was quietly discontinued amid cries of "Police Brutality". Fact is, the bare minimum 410 packs more muzzle moxie than almost all handgun rounds.

And making some shots on a clays range with an 870 that the guy with the Perazzi doesn't is one of the quiest but definite pleasures of life. It ain't the gun...
Old July 31, 2002, 02:22 PM   #10
sm

Dave McC, oops, my fingers typed different than my gray matter.
things get jumbled on the net, sorry.

Your quite right with your stats, little bugger has "moxie". rounds tried were an off brand, construction...well lets say definitly not AA quality. Pattern board results using a mod 42 @ 5 - 8 yards, well I have shot better "groups" with a handgun. Choke was the standard full bore. Now for # 4's and 6's pattern more to the liking. Maybe someone makes an improved version now, dunno.

Just one of those days one of the guys gets dad's ol 42 as a surprise, as a kid he got his first deer on the farm with it, so we played, shared, and let his dad tell all his "son stories"---and the dad - hey round of skeet wtih it and the old man as you say"ain't the gun its the...

best
Old July 31, 2002, 07:47 PM   #11
Mannlicher

I think it is the dumbest thing Winchester has come out with yet. Not really a shotgun, certainly not a rifle. Useless is the term that comes to my mind. Well, useless and expensive.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 21, 2002, 04:02 PM   #12
SaltyCracker

Maybe so ... but it's a heck of a lot of fun and my teenage daughter has a blast with it. The slugs do a good degree of damage to the 6" diameter pine trees around these parts too!
Old November 21, 2002, 04:22 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Eureka! That's what it's good for, to have FUN with. Huzzah!!
Old October 17, 2004, 05:37 PM   #14
dviant

fun gun

howdy ,,,,, i have had mine for 2 years,,, the only problem is the fricken safety broke and got jammed in the gun it took a fork ,4 tooth picks, some used gum,a straw and 3 extra gust telline me what i was doing wrong ,,, other wise the 9410 rocks.......... i have shoe some slugs throught it @15 yards it made that red squirel loose his mind :barf:
Old June 14, 2009, 11:12 PM   #15
jayh3

marlin lever action 410 short

i have one from my grandfather. I understand that they were handed out as rewards for the top Marlin salesmen and were never sold. You have to be a world class trap shooter to hit any birds with it though. It's really a kids gun for dove hunting or rabbit shooting or getting used to shooting clay pidgeons, but I never hit many doves with it or clay pidgeons, but it was fun and challenging.