The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2016, 09:43 PM   #1
Waketurb007

Load Check HS-6

Hey All,

First time using this powder. I download the data from Hodgdon and loaded accordingly. Here is my load, nothing wrong with other eyes, so I'm asking you to double check me.

HS-6 6.4 grains
115 gn LRN
COL - 1.10

I'm going to load up some 124 grain plated round nose and plan to go 6.3 grains to a COL of 1.14

Your opinion????????
Old May 22, 2016, 06:36 AM   #2
jetinteriorguy

I really like HS6 in 9mm but have found it likes high pressure. It burned kind of dirty at the lower loading but really came around both accuracy wise and cleaner towards the limit of published data. This is with 124 gr Extreme bullets, and both the FP and HP versions shoot the same. I don't shoot plain lead in my 9mm and haven't tried it with the HiTec bullets yet, but so far I have found in my other loadings that the HiTec bullets work pretty much the same using the same load data as the Extreme bullets.
Old May 22, 2016, 07:35 AM   #3
SARuger

For 115FMJ loads I'm using 6.3g and in my new load for the 124g "coated" Missouri Bullet Co bullets, I use 5.8g.

MBC says to use a OAL of 1.08 for their 124g coated.

Clean and accurate in my only two 9mm that I own, a LC9 "Hammer fired" and a Sig P250.

HS-6 is on every powder shelf around here, very available.
Old May 22, 2016, 01:54 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Do not use 115 grain cast data for a 124 grain cast/plated bullet. The 125 grain LCN data on Hodgdon's site is good though. So is the BERB HBRN TP(Thick Plate, I think) data. That's Berry's Bullets. Plated. One grain won't matter.
It's 5.9 to 6.6 of HS-6. OAL of 1.125"(no idea why they give anything different than 1.169" for 9mm). So your 6.3 won't be unsafe. You do need to work up the load and not just pick one though.
Old May 22, 2016, 06:17 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I really like HS6 in 9mm but have found it likes high pressure.
Ab-So-Lutely. With HS-6, it's all about the pressure.

I use HS-6 a lot and have extensive experience with it. I like it. But . . . it has a lot of - shall we say - "personality." Basically, it runs dirty and sooty, with a lot of unburnt propellant flakes everywhere, when it's underloaded - and that's often. It will tell you what it likes by cleaning up as you move up the powder charge. When it's real happy, it'll run clean as can be. And that will be at the high end of the load data (usually).

I'm the kind of loader who isn't happy when my propellants aren't. I strive to run my propellants in their wheelhouse. And if that doesn't fit the application, then I change propellants.

Over the years, I've learned that HS-6 is not particularly versatile. Where it runs the best is in semi-auto cartridges (that don't have extra space like revolver cartridges), with heavy bullets. So you're half-right - 9mm Luger. But the other half - the 115g bullet part - you will find to be a little problematic. In the 9, HS-6 would much rather push 124's or even 147's. It'll drive 124's to defense level strata. But it actually runs best under 147's. They'll be short of max velocity, but they'll run really clean and consistent, and would make excellent range/recoil practice rounds. One of the most important things I've learned about HS-6 over the years is that it really likes pushing heavy bullets - regardless of caliber.

You can most likely build good ammo with 115's/HS-6. But I'll tell ya' right now, you're going to have to pump them up. Way up.

The good news is that HS-6 is very forgiving with a pressure curve that is almost always gradual, linear, and predictable. It is not a "spikey" powder. And that's why I recommend it for novice loaders. Probably the friendliest powder in its burn rate range.

Have fun with it. Oh, and grab some heavier bullets when you get a chance
Old May 22, 2016, 10:09 PM   #6
5whiskey

Nick is spot on. I use it in 357 with a 158 grain lead swc. I have to exceed published data for a lead projectile (by more than just a little, but I'm still well below max for a 158gn jacketed bullet) before it starts to clean up. Heavy bullets near max charges is where HS6 shines. I was able to lower my charge a little by using magnum primers and it remained clean burning. It didn't work magic, but dropped my minimum clean burning charge weight by a few grains.
Old May 25, 2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Tsquared

Quote:
First time using this powder. I download the data from Hodgdon and loaded accordingly. Here is my load, nothing wrong with other eyes, so I'm asking you to double check me.

HS-6 6.4 grains
115 gn LRN
COL - 1.10

I'm going to load up some 124 grain plated round nose and plan to go 6.3 grains to a COL of 1.14

Your opinion????????
For your 124gr load you are a tenth of a grain more than my target load recipe for HS-6 with plated 124/125gr bullets. I like HS-6 as a fall back 2nd (or third) choice for 9 mm target ammo. Lately I have been shooting a lot of the CFE Pistol in my 9mm's and I am really starting to like it.
Old May 25, 2016, 06:02 PM   #8
Waketurb007

Quote:
For your 124gr load you are a tenth of a grain more than my target load recipe for HS-6 with plated 124/125gr bullets. I like HS-6 as a fall back 2nd (or third) choice for 9 mm target ammo. Lately I have been shooting a lot of the CFE Pistol in my 9mm's and I am really starting to like it.
I loaded 5 rounds in .2 grain increments all the way to the max load according to the HS-6 data. Found that 6.4 - 6.6 grains seemed to be the best overall. I will probably settle in at 6.4