The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2013, 08:44 PM   #1
kc_hhsl

Redding Dies ...

Just getting into reloading. I have that anniversary Lee reloading kit - looking to start using it after owning it for way too long. Really don't know much about dies.

I have an opportunity to buy an almost new set of Redding 3-Die 9mm Luger that was used exactly. The only markings on any of these dies is on the lock rings from channel lock pliers to lock them into my press. I can buy this set (comes in a Redding box/holder complete with instructions and the allen wrench and extra decapping pin) for $30 that includes shipping.

I had planned on buying the Lee 3 piece carbide die set from Midway USA once they came in.

Don't know enough in what the differences are. The redding are not carbide where as the lee dies are. Is this worth waiting for?

Thanks

NRA Life Member
Old March 5, 2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Redding makes very good dies. The issue in this case is that without carbide, you'll have to use case lube, which is an absolute pain in the tail when dealing with typical handgun shooting volume. I'd buy them and the Lee dies and and use the Lee sizer with the other Redding dies, if I liked them better.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:49 PM   #3
hodaka

Redding dies are good ones. I would get them and use them and buy another set of Lee dies for something else you intend to reload. Lubing is not that difficult, even for pistols. Carbide dies are handy but not necessary.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:53 AM   #4
Hammerhead

I would buy the 3 die set, retire the non-carbide sizing die and replace it with a Lee carbide sizer.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Marco Califo

Redding is tops

I own dies by Lee, RCBS, Lyman, and Redding. In my experience everything Redding makes is excellent, and gives me satisfaction just looking at them. They all work. But Redding makes the best. Lee makes the most inexpensive and work fine.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:57 AM   #6
twins

I love Redding dies, but as Brian says, lubing handgun case for reloading is a PITA. Go with the Lee carbide die.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7
wncchester

All ammo is made inside and all the real differences in most die brands is outside, costly dies look good but that has no effect on the finished product.

There is no valid reason to cinch dies in a press with wrenches or pliers, hand tight is plenty tight. That's why so many high grade die lock rings have knuring rather than wrench flats.