The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 14, 2011, 01:45 PM   #26
hartlock

Oh, please! We all know where this crap came from!
Everyone is just being too politically correct to admit
it! I think the poster with the "home-boy" sight ad
is closest to reality on here! Good grief!
Old October 14, 2011, 02:11 PM   #27
C0untZer0

I just hope that if I ever do get into a shootout with a thug - the side grip is the only thing he knows...

It's actually a pretty lazy grip though, I am betting that there probably is a 50 degree variance with how different criminals hold the pistol with some of them holding more 45° and even some holding it a few degrees South of horizontal.
Old October 14, 2011, 04:41 PM   #28
Seaman

"Those are obviously not the original sights on that 1912! No wonder they 'blew off'." [Sleuth]

Actually the patina on the pistol matches the patina on the sights, and the sights are of a very high quality which is consistent with a Steyr product.

It may have more to do with the 9mm para ammo used, rated at 460 ft lbs and 1300+ fps. Sharp recoil.
Old October 14, 2011, 04:45 PM   #29
aarondhgraham

Hello stressfire,,,

Quote:
Oh, geez, aarond, please tell me that is not a real product
I surely hope not,,,
But I have a friend who glued some old sights on his Glock,,,
They only stayed on for a few rounds but he did get some weird looks at the range.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 14, 2011, 04:51 PM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Don't know about that. I'd never try it.

I have dual wielded 1911's before...total aesthetics. Lol

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - S&W 642 - Remington 870
Old October 14, 2011, 05:13 PM   #31
Sleuth

Seaman, the patina may match, but I have never seen a M1912 with adjustable sights, and I have been collecting and studying military handguns since ....... well, a long time. My 1912 has fixed sights, as do all the ones I have ever seen.

I would guess those sights are circa 1970, most likely Bo Mar's or a knockoff.

And the quote about holding full autos sideways is clearly written by someone who has never fired a Grease Gun (M3 or M3A1), or studied history. The M3 was developed in the 1940's, and has a very slow (400 RPM) rate of fire. It is very controllable.
The Schnellfuer ("Fast Fire" or full auto) Mausers are a different story, particularly in the hands of untrained troops. The down side to firing a full auto sideways, ejection port up, is the chance that an ejected case will land back in the ejection port, causing a stoppage.

But doing so is awkward, more awkward than simply moving the gun (held normally) in a sweeping motion.

Last edited by Sleuth; October 14, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old October 14, 2011, 08:48 PM   #32
Seaman

"Seaman, the patina may match, but I have never seen a M1912 with adjustable sights, and I have been collecting and studying military handguns since .......well, a long time. My 1912 has fixed sights, as do all the ones I have ever seen." [Sleuth]

Sleuth, you are right about that, I have never seen anything like it either, was the reason I acquired it (thought some officer must have put in a special order) and I've been collecting a long time too, have stuff back to the time of Vespasian, so I know a little about antiquities, relics, and such.

The Steyr M1912 handled the 9mm para well, except for losing its sights. Also had the front sights blow off a couple of WW1 era Walthers.

That same 9mm ammo jammed up my Walther P99 and Beretta 92.

Something to be said for old steel.
Old October 15, 2011, 03:42 AM   #33
CajunBass

Quote:
Well, no. They're not. That didn't stop the Richmond (Va.) police department, and the City Council from grabbing the ball and running for daylight with it.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-gag.html
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 15, 2011, 01:02 PM   #34
Stressfire

Quote:
Quote:
Well, no. They're not. That didn't stop the Richmond (Va.) police department, and the City Council from grabbing the ball and running for daylight with it.
ROFLMAO, all I can say is....wow....

Quote:
I have dual wielded 1911's before...total aesthetics.
As have I, and I gotta say, I did more damage to the trees next to the target than the target itself, what's The Punisher's secret exactly? Must be the compensators
Old October 15, 2011, 07:44 PM   #35
Mello2u

Quote:
KMAX

Just the movies or for real?
Two things I see in movies and TV shows which have become "pet peeves" are:
1) When someone opens a S&W revolver, spins the cylinder to check to see if it is loaded and there is a sound like you hear when you spin the cylinder on a Colt SAA with the hammer at half cock and the loading gate open. S&W cylinder spins silently when the cylinder is released out of the frame.
2) When someone walks around holding a handgun right by their face (usually in anticipation of an armed confrontation) so the camera can get there "acting" expression and the gun in the same shot. Oh yea, their finger is on the trigger too.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old October 15, 2011, 10:11 PM   #36
KMAX

Another peeve.

Mello.
Thanks for pointing out the cylinder spin clicking. Never really gave that much thought but have seen it. Another peeve is silencers on revolvers. Another is in "Full Metal Jacket" where Clint Eastwood carries the AK47 when the two platoons are competing to get to the bear pit first. I can accept the use of it in the scene where he live fires to introduce the troops to the favored weapon of the enemy, but not after that. Still really like that movie. Will probably be watching for more phony theatrics involving firearms.
Old October 15, 2011, 10:36 PM   #37
sigcurious

Kmax, do you mean heartbreak ridge?
Old October 16, 2011, 11:53 AM   #38
KMAX

Indeed

Yes. I was talking about Heartbreak Ridge. Love both movies and watch them both often enough I shouldn't get the titles confused, Thanks.
Old October 16, 2011, 12:16 PM   #39
MrWesson

there is a method of one handed shooting where your hand is slightly canted to where it rests naturally. It takes more muscles to hold your hand straight one handed than it does to have it slightly canted to the left(for a righty).
Old October 16, 2011, 03:06 PM   #40
Sleuth

OK another movie pet peeve, seen over and over in "U.S. Marshals". An on duty officer, chasing a escaped murderer, draws his pistol and has to CHAMBER A ROUND!

In fact, in 'the drainage tunnel' Tommy Lee Jones does it 2 or 3 times with the same gun!!!

But then, movies are magic!!