The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2010, 08:04 AM   #26
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Steel185 , What exactly is the purpose of item you built ? The ends of that thing are going to eat through your cover in short order . All you need is a rubber bushing about a quarter inch thick under your flat washer and wing nut . put some tension on it and it will hold just fine ! Yes aren't dissimilar metals fun to weld ?
Old May 15, 2010, 08:22 AM   #27
salvadore

Doesn't anyone else use liquid to tumble their brass in. I use the hot water, lemon juice and detergent that a previous poster noted, but I put it in my tumbler with the brass. You can pour boiling water on the brass after draining throw them on a towel and dry as quickly as possible for purty brass, or you can let them dry anyway you want for slightly tarnished brass. It's not messy but it is cheap.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:19 AM   #28
Steel185

oneoldsap: The bracket i built is to spread the clamping force to the edge of the lid. I had to add a washer on top fo the rubber one to get it right but it now clamps on the center (through the rubber washer) and also on the outside. This olds the lid down more and causing much less noise on mine. Also no matter how tight you clamped it (previous owner did it so tight it stripped some threads) the entire bowl would slowly spin, and the wingnut would start to back off. this stops that also.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:26 AM   #29
FEG

Quote:
Doesn't anyone else use liquid to tumble their brass in. I use the hot water, lemon juice and detergent that a previous poster noted, but I put it in my tumbler with the brass. You can pour boiling water on the brass after draining throw them on a towel and dry as quickly as possible for purty brass, or you can let them dry anyway you want for slightly tarnished brass. It's not messy but it is cheap.
I have no idea what you are using, but one look at my Midway tumbler tells me that at the very least, I would fry the tumbler (actually, vibratory cleaner). It may be a lot of things, but it is not water-tight.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:47 AM   #30
salvadore

I'm using a 30+ year old thumbler tumbler. Like smokeless powder and jacketed bullets, I'm not sure those vibrating cleaners will ever catch on.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:08 AM   #31
fhwiggins

A few brush strokes with a case mouth brush after all of your other cleaning is my method of assuring as good of a bullet seat and crimp as possible.

"Law abiding citizen" is not a synonym for "Sheep to the slaughter." CCW!
Old May 17, 2010, 04:43 PM   #32
mrawesome22

I use a bore brush chucked into a drill. Run it through the case neck and it gets it clean enough that I don't have to lube the inside neck when sizing.