The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2009, 02:55 PM   #1
IEDmagnet

185 Cast SWC Data

Hi all,

All I could find at my local store was 185gr. Cast SWC for my .45 . I never used the round before and thought "no big deal, Ill give it a try". Ive looked in my Speer #14 and on Winchesters Powder web site (as I am using 231) and on the web and I can not for the life of me find a recipe from a manufacturer using that weight. I see plenty of data for a 200 gr. lead SWC, but Im new to reloading and am not comfortable experimenting with my ammo/gun/limbs. Does anyone know where I can find data?

Thanks

"Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice"- Unknown
Old August 29, 2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Kyo

there almost isn't any...I use 4.5/4.6(bullseye) grains in my 45 and it shoots fine. People have claimed 5. You can make your start grain for that weight by using the max for the next weight. So, in my Modern Reloading manual, it says Bullseye 5.4 grains for the 180 LSWC.
For the 200 it says 4.0. I started with 4.0 and bumped up to 4.5/4.6 because the 4.0 charge didn't make enough energy to cycle my slide. your mileage may vary.
Says here for Win 231 start for the 180 is 5.3 the max is 6.3 and the 200 grain is 4.8 the max is 5.5. I would just start with the 5.3 in the 180 version. its 5 more grains, I don't see what the big deal can be.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old August 30, 2009, 05:41 PM   #3
IEDmagnet

Thanks for the response. I know people have their own pet load but as a new reloaded I was looking for something from a manual as Im not yet comfortable trying something form word of mouth. I'm going to the library to see if there is a manual there.

"Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice"- Unknown
Old August 30, 2009, 06:10 PM   #4
rn22723

Hodgdon has data.....just use the 180gr LFP data.....Buy a copy of Lyman Reloading Manual 49th Ed. Great resource for lead bullet data!