The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2009, 04:07 PM   #1
jal5

Anyone recognize this headstamp?

Picked up some brass yesterday, with an unfamiliar headstamp. About 1.5" case length with a shoulder 0.25" , brass, a little wider at the base of it than at the shoulder kind of tapered. Dia. of the mouth of the case about 5/16". Markings are different too: looks like NK but the N is backwards like the Cyrillic type alphabet, and number 1977 which I would assume is the year. I looked it up on several headstamp lists but couldn't find it.

anyone have information on this? Thanks.
Joe
Old March 5, 2009, 04:22 PM   #2
jtravisbayne

Sounds like some of the 8mm Mauser brass that I picked up at the range a few weeks ago. Headstamp looked like it was in a foreign language, but it was brass and not steel. I had to get out my calipers and load manual to determine what it was.

Travis
Old March 5, 2009, 05:03 PM   #3
wjkuleck

It's Cyrillic; ИK would be "E" and "K" in English. The headstamp could be Russian, Bulgarian, or Serbian, for example.

Specifically, my reference identifies it as made at the Igman plant in Konjic. I suspect that was and is Serbia. The reference is to "Yugoslavia" because the reference predates the breakup of that Balkan state.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides