The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 9, 2008, 06:39 PM   #1
T.Bear

Bought a new safe yesterday

I just bought a new safe it is a cannon. I had been looking for several months and could not find a better price than at Buds Gun Shop (www.budsgunshop.com)

I have rented for tomorrow a walking dolly that you can rent from Sun Belt Rentals it is battery operated and will walk up and down steps so one person can install a big safe.
Old November 9, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2
ZEBRARANGER

Congratulations, that looks like a very nice safe with 12 gauge steel, 14- 1" active bolts and at 750 lbs, no one is going to carry it away. Its definitely a nice size safe.
Old November 12, 2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Hicksville Kid

Good luck with the dolly

Be sure to stay up stream from the dolly. That could hurt if it fell.

On Long Island a few years ago, there was a perp trying to steal a safe from a second floor office. He was found on Monday morning under the safe at the bottom of the stairwell.

Be safe and get help.
Old November 12, 2008, 05:53 PM   #4
cchardwick

On the door of my gun safe I have a carpet like material. It looks like you have the same stuff. You can get big loops of velcro from your local gun shop to hold pistols on the door of your safe and free up some room on the shelves. I love the velcro, when I open the safe my pistols are within easy reach if I need them fast and all organized. Also, I put plates of lead in my safe, I'd suggest the same if you have the extra room. I welded up a shelf to raise the rifles off of the bottom and put the plates of lead under the rifles. You can never have enough weight in there. Congrats, it looks like a great safe!
Old November 12, 2008, 08:46 PM   #5
scoobydoo6906

bolt it down! then they can't take it with out a huge hassle. adding weight only makes it harder to move. if you are really worried get renters or homeowners insurance. hey if you wanted to get really fancy put an alarm system on it, you know those contacts they have for doors? they have them at stores typically about a inch long or so? they make the door beep when you come in you know what I am talking about?. put one on the wall and one on the safe then if they move the safe away from the wall it would trip the alarm. you would have a keypad to disarm it too so thats not a problem. the only thing is its kinda permanent so if you rent it may not be a good idea.
Old November 12, 2008, 08:59 PM   #6
BillCoe

Before you bolt it down, make sure you drill the hole the the dehumidifier out first! DOHH, my first hand experience : [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color].

I bought the Cannon Special at Costco and didn't do that. Bolted it down with 3/8 wedge anchors. picking if up off the studs now would be very difficut to do without damaging them, and I can't get to the back to drill the hole.

Solution: EEXOZ on the pistols, a room dehumidifyer, and 2 plug in, dehumidifiers.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/....php?p=3110400

Damn.