The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2008, 04:35 PM   #1
wpcexpert

.38Special vs .38 +P

A question I've been meaning to ask for quite some time now. What is the difference in a regular special and a +P case, for reloading purposes. I can't find one. The only thing is the head stamp. I've loaded the regulars as +P's and havent had any problems. I'm shooting thru a Ruger GP100 .357.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 28, 2008, 05:00 PM   #2
DMZX

I don't think there is any difference in the two, except like you said, the headstamp.

The danger is in that some of your +P loads in regular .38 Spl cases may, at some time, get into the hands of someone other than you, and be used in a revolver not designed for +P pressures.
Old March 28, 2008, 05:07 PM   #3
wpcexpert

That's what I thought.

Thanks. I was just looking for someone to agree. And yes, I'll have to watch the cases. But I don't have a .38. I only have .357. I tried to get my wife to buy a .38 but she said that it didn't make a bit of sense. She would rather have the .357 and shoot .38's in it. I didn't argue.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 28, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4
crowbeaner

38 brass varies alot by mfg. in thickness and capacity. Some RP brass is quite thin and some is thicker like WW yellow brass. I load the thicker stuff a little heavier than the thin stuff because I like the idea of a case not splitting and spitting hot gases back against the recoil shield. I sort by headstamp and load accordingly.