The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2008, 06:10 AM   #1
LadyHunter

Brass for .357 Mag Revolver

Greetings: I am new to this forum and I'm finding it extremely helpful. I am getting back into re-loading for my .357 revolver and a friend has given me some manufactured loaded brass for a .38 that has the initials "G.F.L" on it...would anyone be able to tell me what this stands for? And should I invest time in re-loading these? I'll be developing a load for deer hunting this year using the Cast Performance 200 grain WFN and would like to be as efficient/accurate as possible. Thanking you in advance~
Old March 27, 2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Yoosta B. Blue

Welcome to the forum, LadyHunter. This is indeed a great place to exchange information and to learn all sort of nifty things in the realm of reloading...

You can do a Google search for G.F.L. brass and will find numerous hits. One of those hits contains the following statement -- "The Fiocchi brass (headstamp G.F.L.) appear to be thick walled and some users might find that they fit tight in the crimp die. They fit very tight in the author's Lee Factory Crimp die." So this shows that the author is reloading those casings...

Yoosta B. Blue
Old March 27, 2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Sevens

I have some GFL in another caliber and as I recall, it's Fiocchi.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

Yep:
Giulio Fiocchi, Lecco, Italy

Seems to be decent stuff to me. One brand of brass you should avoid like the bubonic plague is "A-Merc" or "American" brand. It's complete crap. Much of it is barely within spec on dimensions, flash holes are almost all off-center, not round, need de-burred. It's the worst brass I've ever come across.

I've also seen some sub-standard Selior & Beliot, but others have had fine luck with that.
In any case, you won't be making 200 grain WFN hunting rounds out of .38 Special I hope!

Enjoy that Black Hawk!
Old March 27, 2008, 08:20 AM   #4
LadyHunter

.357 Brass

Greetings

Seven: Absolutely NOT on the .38 200 Gr WFN, I'll be loading that in my .357 cartridges only...my nephew hunts with this load and the results are amazing.
I will mostly use the .38 for plinking and home protection.

Thanks for the advice and it's good to know I have these resources!!

Happy Shooting!!
Old March 27, 2008, 10:33 AM   #5
The Lovemaster

My experience with the S&B brass is that the primer pockets are noticably smaller than spec, making priming a little difficult. I'm going to quit using S&B, I'm getting tired of the hard prime.
Old March 27, 2008, 11:41 PM   #6
GP100man

brass

buy starline new,nuff said

GP100man##
Old March 28, 2008, 08:55 AM   #7
freakshow10mm

Yes. Starline and Starline only.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:04 AM   #8
TexasSeaRay

I sneered at Starline when they first came out. Who the hell wants a serious piece of brass called "Star" anything?

Now, for my 44 Special target loads, and 38 Special bullseye LWC loads, I won't reload anything BUT Starline brass.

It is excellent, excellent stuff.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.