The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2021, 10:52 AM   #26
dakota.potts

Quote:
I'm normally not a guy who thinks 2 grand for a pistol is worth it, but considering this will shoot 9 and 10mm along with the fancy, boutique 7.5 stuff (which I actually think is a good cartridge given it's built to be used for 100+ yards) I like it.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. At $1,650 plus tax (I didn't pay shipping or transfer fees because I bought from BDU and had it transferred to a Big Daddy store since I happen to be local to them) it's expensive but in the price range of other performance production guns like the CZ Shadow II and the Walther Q5. Granted, polymer frame instead of steel, but you have the unique recoil reduction system, two sets of sights, four magazines, and it's optics ready for both RMR and Delta Point footprints. Very high quality machining and a nice nitride finish. The price isn't unreasonable even for a nice shooting 9mm or 10mm before you even consider the boutique cartridge.

That said, for the base price you only get one cartridge conversion - either 9mm or the 10mm barrel that will also shoot .40. I'm guessing (hoping) conversion barrels when available will be in the sub $200 range and the importer indicated they were thinking about threaded barrels as well. Given the multi-caliber capability, I hope either FK Brno or the US aftermarket expands to other calibers - I imagine there are at least a few more calibers that should be drop-in capable like maybe .357 Sig, .38 Super/9X23mm, and 9X25mm Dillon.

The cartridge is incredible out of a 6 inch handgun, and it's the perfect length to work in a carbine/PDW/SBR. Imagine what it's pushing out of an 8, 12, or 16 inch barrel. Maybe a system like the CMMG radial blowback would work well given the high pressure. Honestly, it would even be awesome out of a micro bolt action - think the Armscor .22 TCM rifle but shooting bullets 2 and a half times the weight.

Definitely hope some US ammo manufacturers pick it up. I'd be really curious to see what type of performance could be pushed with companies like Lehigh Defense.
Old April 12, 2021, 11:02 AM   #27
dakota.potts

Quote:
Any first hand pics of the ammo?
I've been posting from my phone but I'm on a computer now so it is a good time for picture time.

Here is the box the ammo comes in. I only have two types of ammo, the F5 and the S95.

On the left is the S95 bullet. This apparently was manufactured for FK Brno by Sierra. This is a hollow point meant for rapid fragmentation. It still pushes high penetration beyond FBI standards but does not have the massive penetration of the other two ammo types, making it by far the one I'm most likely to carry.

The F5 on the right is a solid copper "nose discarding" round which will drop fragments of the nose while leaving a solid slug at the base that will continue penetrating. This is marked for medium game hunting and self defense.

Both are 95 grains and marked at the same velocity (2000 FPS). The S95 is $60 for 50 rounds and the F5 is $75 for 50 rounds. For what they are I honestly think the price is very fair but I do hope for a cheaper practice round.

Both bullets next to a 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124 grain

9mm magazine vs. 7.5 magazine. The 7.5 magazine is used for the 10mm/.40 but has a reduced capacity of 10-12 rounds for these calibers. I wonder if the 9mm magazine could feed .40 instead since that's very typical of 9mm magazines, even in the CZ pattern, but I haven't tried. Note the 9mm magazine has polymer spacers to fill in the gaps in the mag well. They lock in very easily and solidly, seemingly well designed.

Old April 12, 2021, 11:07 AM   #28
dakota.potts

The case it comes in is utilitarian but nice, and comes with a nice full color brochure/manual.

Quick picture I got while out shooting the 9mm

Compared to my Glock 19 Gen 5 with Griffin Armament micro carry comp and Streamlight TLR-7

And the two guns overlaid. The PSD has a reputation as a big gun, and it is, but I actually don't think it's that much bigger where it counts and I definitely think it could be concealed IWB depending how you carry and dress. The 19 is what I usually carry daily and with a good holster (PHLster) it's not a problem at all to conceal. Most of the bulky portion of the PSD will sit well below the waistline, and the grip portion is about like a Glock 17 or a full sized CZ 75. Not a compact by any means, but I think it's a little less monstrous than some make it out to be. Lack of holster manufacturers is an issue (especially since the railed version is technically the Gen 2 and the few holster makers that are out there, mostly European companies, seem to be geared up all for the Gen 1 which does not have the rail).

Old April 12, 2021, 12:24 PM   #29
wild cat mccane

That dust cover over looks like a handle when compared to your Glock

Is it just the pic making the slide look grey?

Thanks for the pics as requested!
Old April 12, 2021, 02:54 PM   #30
dakota.potts

The dust cover is almost big enough it could be used as a grip lol

The picture may be accentuating it but the color is a little gray. It's kind of what other companies may call a smoked nitride finish. It reminds me of a semi-fine rust blued finish in that exposure to light will bring out blue luster, but the color leans a little more to gray than blue. Has a mid-satin finish which is smooth and almost glassy but not bright and shiny in the light. I love nitride finishes, possibly my favorite for modern guns
Old April 12, 2021, 03:16 PM   #31
XDforever

How many rounds do the 7.5 mags hold? How many rounds do the 9mm hold?

I'm definitely interested in this gun!

Joe
Old April 12, 2021, 06:34 PM   #32
dakota.potts

17 rounds in 9mm, 16 rounds in 7.5. The manual states that the 7.5 magazines will hold 10 rounds of 10mm but various gun tubers have pushed that to 12 or so. Seems like they might do well to release a dedicated 10mm magazine in the future for people who want full capacity in that caliber.

Their website also advertises 10 round magazines, presumably for ban states or some types of shooting competitions.
Old April 12, 2021, 06:43 PM   #33
bac1023

2000 FPS is slow for the ammo actually. I averaged over 2100 FPS from my Field Pistol when I tested it.

Old April 12, 2021, 06:46 PM   #34
dakota.potts

Beautiful pistol for sure, the Field Pistol. But the PSD is missing an inch of barrel from the Field Pistol so back to right around 2,000 FPS in my case
Old April 12, 2021, 07:02 PM   #35
bac1023

Yeah I keep forgetting the barrel is shorter. I’ll have to chronograph my PSD.

That being said, BRNO was advertising 2000 FPS long before the PSD was around. They we’re definitely sandbagging the velocity a bit.
Old April 13, 2021, 05:34 PM   #36
dakota.potts

Stopped at an indoor range today and got my Holosun sighted in and ran some 9mm, then 40 rounds of 7.5mm FK.

First of all, recoil. I am a relatively recoil sensitive person not because I don't like recoil but because of issues with weak connective tissue and overactive sympathetic nervous system (translated: too much recoil makes my hands shake easily).

7.5mm recoil definitely has a little bit of snap to it. I've heard if said that it feels like a .45. I find that it has less push than a .45 but a little more snap to it. You can tell you're pushing a high velocity round. I'd say the 7.5mm is more comfortable to shoot than the Glock 23 (.40 S&W) I used to own, which is saying something. The 9mm has so little recoil it's almost giggle worthy. The 7.5 requires a firm hold and does climb but I've honestly shot pocket guns that produce more of a snap into the hand.

The report, especially in an indoor range, is impressive. The stall next to me was shooting an AR 15. The RSO told me I was creating a bigger boom. Every shot gives off a nice fireball. The RSO (who was having a kick watching) reported that it was producing a "ring of fire" effect that you see in some magnum caliber handguns.

9mm ammo kind of dribbles out of the ejection port and lands in a nice neat pile beside your right foot. 7.5mm ejects out of the port like a rocket, bounces off of your stall, and ends up 5 stalls down, in the brass bucket, on the table by the window...

No doubt about it, everything about this gun is the most unique pistol owning experience I've ever had. And personally I love that I can choose between shooting the 9mm in the tamest gun I've ever shot, or I can switch over to pocket rifle mode and it's still very controllable.
Old April 14, 2021, 12:12 AM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

Sounds like you got your money's worth already!