The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2021, 08:38 PM   #26
Logs

I had a 7.5 inch barrel AR pistol in 5.56 and it was too loud and blasted to much crap in my face so I got rid of it. I run a 14.5 Sig 516 Upper and it gives me no issues.
Old March 15, 2021, 09:02 PM   #27
Desmosedici

Maybe I should shoot one outdoors before being so dismissive. Indoors it was brutal.
Old March 15, 2021, 09:08 PM   #28
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Maybe I should shoot one outdoors before being so dismissive. Indoors it was brutal.

There are some brutal muzzle brakes available for AR15s, regardless of barrel length. I did an outdoor course once next to an officer with a SureFire muzzle brake. Even outside no one wanted to be within 10 feet of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 15, 2021, 09:46 PM   #29
Logs

Great way to "Social Distance"
Old March 16, 2021, 05:16 PM   #30
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1954 View Post
"What caliber, what is the intended use?"

“The caliber would be .556 and the intended use would be all around shooting. I am not trying to be a smart aleck with shooting for the answer but I hate that question. It is like asking intended use for an automobile.”

I guess it’s probably a good thing I didn’t suggest something like my dedicated 22lr home built.

Attachment 113130
For all around shooting and if cost is a factor, I would consider 7.62x39

Cost wise you cannot beat it and so if "all around shooting" means mostly plinking, it would be an excellent choice.
You can also use it for hunting game up to deer size at close distances.
And for self-defense, it is the anti-personnel choice of the ruskies who are nothing but practical folk.

It is not for long range shooting though and it is also not the best round for shooting suppressed as I understand.

Also its cost advantage would disappear if restrictions on foreign ammo and parts were ever to be implemented.

Last edited by Pistoler0; March 16, 2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old March 16, 2021, 05:19 PM   #31
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worc View Post
I would start with a budget. I look at it as building your own will usually cost a little more up front but, cheaper in the long run. Starting out with better components will raise the cost. If you don't want or won't ever do any upgrades. It'll be pretty close to buy vs building price wise in this current market.

I prefer an 11.5" barrel but, a 10.5" is fine too. I recommend a blast forwarding device on the muzzle with shorter barrels. They make a difference with the blast and sound but, are still louder than a longer barrel. It will add a little length overall. The plus side is you can go with a little longer forearm. The added real estate is nice for adding accessories or keeping your hand further away from the muzzle. I also like the look which is less important to me.

Here's an 11.5" with a cut down BFD.

10.5" with the same look and overall length as the 11.5"
Those pistols in the pictures you posted look incredible.
Are you the fortunate owner?

What type of blast forwarding device would you recommend?
Old March 16, 2021, 09:05 PM   #32
Desmosedici

Really like the paint job on those rifles. Nice job!
Old March 17, 2021, 03:18 PM   #33
hub1home

I thank everyone for the advise and comments. I am very glad that I posted this one. I have learned a lot from it.

I have narrowed my choices down to 2 for which one to get. It will be either the HM Defense Raider M5 12.5" or the Springfield Armory SAINT 9.6".

If anyone has experience with either of these pistols, I would very much appreciate your opinions/comments.
Old March 19, 2021, 09:25 PM   #34
rickmelear

While I know it’s not on your list I just bought a IWI Zion pistol. 12.5 inch barrel mid length gas system with with free float 11.5 inch hand guard. SB Tactical SBA3 Brace, B5 Grip.
I’ve only had it out once but I love it. Worth a look.
Old March 20, 2021, 10:59 AM   #35
Big4Freedom

Black Rain Ordnance has some good options, in various calibers too, imho. I did a cool ARP in 9mm (so it would be cheaper than other calibers to fire many rounds through) w/a nice stabilizing brace. It is so fun to shoot!! I was surprised. Uses Glock/Glock-style mags. I put a binary trigger on it as well. It fires accurately and it fires flawlessly in semi, as fast as I can pull trigger. On binary mode, it knocks out 15 rounds in no time, then jams routinely, works great in same way after jam cleared. That is only because it’s a blowback system for 9mm. That’s my only issue with that caliber, used w/binary. My 5.56 binary standard AR runs through entire mag wo any hiccups. I just hate firing it these days due to ammo cost/availability. I reload 9mm. Fwiw, I also have a Kriss vector pistol in 10mm that is cool, not standard AR platform but super cool. Those come in a few different calibers too.
Old March 24, 2021, 12:59 PM   #36
hub1home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmelear View Post
While I know it’s not on your list I just bought a IWI Zion pistol. 12.5 inch barrel mid length gas system with with free float 11.5 inch hand guard. SB Tactical SBA3 Brace, B5 Grip.
I’ve only had it out once but I love it. Worth a look.
Thank you for your recommendation. The Zion pistol happens to be the third one on my list that I like. However, the way things are going, it just may be the one that I end up getting. I like it quite a bit!
Old March 25, 2021, 08:54 AM   #37
Houndog

First, I agree with other posters - do not go below 10.5" if you are sticking to a .223 caliber. Personally, I think 11.5-12.5 would be ideal. Still short enough to be maneuverable, you don't lose as much velocity and having a slightly longer dwell time will make it more reliable and probably a little softer shooting.

Second, despite the OP really looking for the recommendation of a particular brand, nearly everyone seems focused on caliber/length. I suspect part of that is there really are a lot of good options and without any kind of budget it's hard to make a recommendation.

Third, saying your intended use is "I just plan on shooting it" isn't all that helpful. If it's just going to be a fun plinker you're going to take to the range half a dozen times a year, no reason not to buy something cheap. You might take a look at Radical Arms. If it's something you're going to put 5000 rounds a year through, maybe do three gun or some other type of competition and also depend on for home defense, you're going to want to spend some more money.

Having said that, I don't have any experience with any of the guns you are considering and don't really hear a lot about them on the various forums I sometimes go to. (Although I seem to recall people not being crazy about the Saint - not sure why). I did look one up one of the guns you listed and it sounds like your budget is around $1,100. For that kind of money my standard recommendation is buy a LaRue Ultimate Upper and either a LaRue receiver or something like and Aeroprecision and put the lower together yourself. (It's really easy and takes about 20-30 minutes). I have a 12.5" LaRue Upper that's reliable, well made, and very accurate. This would be a terrific choice for you.

For a little more, I'd still build my own lower (I'd add a LaRue MBT trigger) and get a Daniel Defense 10.5" or 11.5" upper. You will get a gun made from top quality parts, that's very reliable and with a great barrel that should last for 20,000+ rounds.

Finally, with an unlimited budget, Knights Armament is tough to beat. Innovation, proven reliability and it will hold it's value if you ever decide to sell it.
Old March 27, 2021, 05:49 AM   #38
Hdonly

I like my 7.62x39 in a 71/2" barrel. Each to his own. I always shoot outside at my home range so I don't disturb anyone but a friend that is with me. I have to disturb them so I can get it away from them to shoot it myself!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR pistola.resized.jpg (545.5 KB, 731 views)
Old March 27, 2021, 08:35 PM   #39
veprdude

A 10.5" barrel for 5.56 will have the same gas system as 16" carbine. The barrel is just chopped 5.5". This is important because most inexpensive off-the-shelf uppers that use the carbine length gas system are well understood and reliable. Go with something shorter (7.5") and more tuning is involved to get the gas system right to operate. They also tend to be overgassed and loud.

Going longer than 10.5" with a pistol brace may lead you into an OAL (OverAll Length) that may not be compliant with what still is defined as a pistol according to the ATF.

I have had good luck with a PSA 10.5" upper on a Aero Precision lower and Colt LPK. This was pre-pandemic and QC may vary from then and now.

PSA is very good for the budget minded person. You can definitely get a more expensive setup but it's a diminishing return on value vs. performance.

Under no circumstances should you convert a rifle to pistol, especially if it was bought as a rifle. Most people start with stripped lowers so the lower has never been defined as a pistol or rifle. This avoids many potential pitfalls.