The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 1, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Fox84

Rock Island 1911-Wilson Combat Parts

I was trying to improve my trigger and was told by a gunshop all I need is a Wilson Combat trigger, sear, disconnector and hammer. I installed the parts and gun won't function. I'am thinking I need a wilson sear spring to make this package work. I polished and put the RIA stuff back in and ordered some mainsprings. I have a wilson sear spring on order also. Any help appreciated
Old December 1, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Hawg

1911 parts by and large are not a drop in fit. They will almost always require some fitting.
Old December 1, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Fox84

When I spent the $120 at the gunshop, it was "drop in" kit.
Old December 1, 2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Hawg

Expensive lesson.
Old December 1, 2013, 10:25 PM   #5
HiBC

Harsh reality lesson"drop in" is a sometimes thing particularly on a 1911.
The fine print will say "should be installed by a competent gunsmith"

I'm not saying anything bad about RIA,I think they are good value,but even if it were a Colt frame,1911 was long ago,methods and tooling have changed,and guns used to be built by craftsmen.The tolerance stacks require fitting.

If you protest,what you will be told is"Well,that one of them foreign copies...."

Expect to fit a safety,and do not expect your first will come out right.

You can turn it over to a smith,and you may,or may not,get a good job.

If you do it yourself,slim chance you will get a safe,functioning pistol stumbling in the dark.Its an education that will require some investment on your part.You will need references,a few tools,and likely some "start over" parts.And,patience.

Kunhausen's 1911 shop manual is indispensable.Wilson sells a DVD armorers course.Look for the one or two DVDs that cover trigger job and safety fitting.

If you think you want a different trigger or grip safety,etc,do it all at once.There is a fitting sequence,the toe bone connected to the foot bone,the footbone to the ankle bone,etc.

Good luck.
Old December 2, 2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Fox84

Thanks for the info

"The whole story." I went to a new LGS that recently opened. I asked the gunsmith to improve the trigger on my RIA. He said he wouldn't because of liability reasons. He then refered me to a counter person. This guy told me he just installed a Wilson Combat trigger, hammer,sear and disconnector in his RIA. It would greatly improve my gun. His dropped right in with just a little mod to the trigger.
I was happy with the way things went together. I believe my issue was my stock RIA sear spring and WC sear. I have ordered a WC sear spring. I may try again later.
I have since polished and reinstalled my RIA stuff and the gun runs fine. I will change to a 17 or 19 lb main spring and see how I like that.

Maybe I can find a old wore out colt and put this WC stuff in. I don't know if it would improve the RIA at this time.
Old December 3, 2013, 05:10 PM   #7
RickB

Parts probably won't drop-in and perform at a level attainable with careful fitting, but what does "won't function" mean? The hammer won't remain cocked? Drops only to half-cock? The disconnector doesn't reset?
And what's a "gunsmith" that won't work on a gun due to liability concerns? A gunsmith is liable for everything he does (as is the home hobbyist . . .).
You might try a combination of the Wilson and RIA parts? I installed only a new sear in my Springfield Mil-Spec, and it dramatically improved the quality of the trigger pull. Try using only the Wilson hammer and sear in conjunction with the remaining factory parts, and see if it functions and is an improvement.
The fit of the hammer hooks to the sear nose is probably the single most important area in the overall quality of the trigger pull, and the Wilson parts should be something of a match for each other, even in out-of-the-box form.