The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2012, 08:50 AM   #1
levitm

Shell Holders

I know each company has their own brand of shell holders. My question is, will an RCBS work on a Hornady, Lee, Pacific and vice versa?
Old September 26, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2
jcwit

Normally there is no problem, once in a while, and thats very seldom there is.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:29 AM   #3
rajbcpa

Yeh - ordinarily the shell holders are interchangeable.

However, I bought a Lee factory crimp (push-through) die that is used to take the bulge out of cases that have been used in an unsupported chamber.

The push-through piece of the Lee die is supposed to fit where the shellholder goes in a SS press. I was using an RCBS rockcrusher and this did not fit the RCBS press. I had to grind the Lee pusher down a tad to get it to work in the RCBS press.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4
PA-Joe

They are also not interchaneable in the hand primers. The internal hole sizes are different. They also have diffent bench heights that may affect shoulder setbacks with certain dies combinations.
Old September 26, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
jcwit

Quote:
They are also not interchaneable in the hand primers. The internal hole sizes are different. They also have diffent bench heights that may affect shoulder setbacks with certain dies combinations.
Never had that problem, and I use Lee hand primers, K & M hand primers, Hornady Hand primers, and a RCBS hand primer. Mostly use Lee shell holders.
Old September 26, 2012, 03:36 PM   #6
William T. Watts

tain't so

For a variety of reasons all shell holders will not always interchange, Midsouth sent me a Hornady #17 to substitute for a RCBS #14 (45/70), the Hornady would not slide in my RCBS 90200 hand priming tool, O.K for my RCBS press. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; September 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:04 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Shell holders? Different? Forget brands, I have 4 different RCBS shell holders.

The next to the oldest has no chamfer on the bottom center of the shell holder, the next one has a slight chamfer, the newest one has a big chamfer, the chamfer is necessary for the Automatic Hand Primer system. Then there are chamfers on the top outside edge.

Then there are the 9mm dents, a friend was not having trouble with dented 9mm primers going off as they should, the dents bothered him, I explained to him if he did not show the dents to anyone, no one would know, anyhow, he contacted RCBS, they made him tools, they sent him parts etc.. Then I called RCBS, they offered me the same deals and another shell holder, I never got around to telling them why the dents were in the primers of the 9mm. I loaned him my Automatic Hand primer, same thing, dents in the primers.

F. Guffey
Old September 27, 2012, 04:40 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Shell holders are generally "universal" as far as fitting reloading presses is concerned.

Beyond presses, it's a crap shoot. No two accessories are alike, just like no two brands of shell holders are alike (no matter what the manufacturers claim).

Some case trimmers won't work with other brands of shell holders.
Some priming tools won't work with other brands of shell holders.
Even some press-mounted tools may encounter compatibility problems with other brands of shell holders.

I own Lyman, Redding, RCBS, Lee, and Hornady shell holders. They all have different amounts of cross-compatibility with other brands of equipment. In some instances, I had to buy a particular brand of shell holder, just to be able to use a particular tool for a certain cartridge.
Old September 27, 2012, 11:24 PM   #9
F. Guffey

“Beyond presses, it's a crap shoot. No two accessories are alike, just like no two brands of shell holders are alike (no matter what the manufacturers claim)”

No ideal what manufacturers claim, before a reloader becomes a reloader they must understand ‘deck height’ a reloader that understands deck height can distinguish fact from fiction, truth from nonsense, the deck height of a shell holder is .125”. There was a time when reloaders? lowered the deck height by mindlessly grinding the top of the shell holder, or they ground the bottom of the die to increase the presses ability to size a case, again, that was and is never necessary.

Me? I tweak my shell holders to get the results I want, I can form cases that are shorter from the head of the case to its shoulder by .017” for short chambers, and someone ask, “How is he so lucky to find all those short chambers?”. I cut short chambers.

F. Guffey
Old September 28, 2012, 01:01 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Speaking to the choir, Guffey.

One of my posts in a previous thread on shell holders.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:22 AM   #11
panamint

Shell Holders

Here is a chart that has the cross reference for the different manufacture's shell holders.
Scott
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shellholder_Chart.pdf (145.3 KB, 14 views)