The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 2, 2008, 01:43 AM   #1
Noskov

Mossberg Bullpup modifications...

I'm about to purchase one soon but wondering if there are any options to reducing the recoil.

I've read as much info available, though very little, and I don't mind the "ugly" looks, the clumsy feel, the slower reload, the goofy carry handle, the poor sights, etc. The thing about the recoil that bothers me is one report by a user that the stock began to show minor cracking after about 100 shots. It will be used mostly for home defense and some outdoor plinking fun but I want to ensure it will last.

I heard porting a shotgun barrel is a debated option so not sure on that at the moment. If anything I may open up the bullpup stock and reinforce the insides with something. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old November 2, 2008, 04:28 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One possibilty would be to see if their are hollow areas in the stock. You could drill and fill with lead shot. Adds weight but absorbs some inertia...
Brent
Old November 2, 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Noskov

Never thought about that. I'll look into it as an option once it arrives.
Old November 2, 2008, 06:24 PM   #4
zippy13

Hotdogs is right on target about the weight issue.
Porting will reduce muzzle hop -- if it didn't work, you wouldn't see it on so many comp guns.
Overbores and long forcing help with comp guns, don't know about a short bullpup's barrel.
Additional resilient material at all contact points won't increase felt recoil.
The bullpup stock should fit tightly and uniformly. If there's any slop, the action will hammer the stock and you're get those cracks.
Old November 2, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Noskov

The Bullpup I'm getting is a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel, I heard someone who had one was considering putting on a 28" barrel in the bullpup but no word on if they ever did it.
Old November 2, 2008, 09:55 PM   #6
tenholewheels

i had one back before the ban

it was the longer barreled maverick one that held 8 rounds. god i liked that gun but that was before my wife came around about guns and she said it was scary and wanted it gone so i traded it for a beautifully engraved remington 7600 which i hated. anyway i enjoyed shooting that thing, it had real sights wereas most shotguns don't. anyways i miss that blaster and no i never got any stock cracking after the 500 or so rounds i put through it.
Old November 4, 2008, 05:25 AM   #7
Noskov

Now that I have a good amount of options on recoil reductions...is it possible to remove the carry handle and put a weaver rail where it used to be?

All I've read were plans by some owners to remove it and put something else there yet theres never any actual confirmation its been done.
Old November 4, 2008, 10:17 AM   #8
4thPointofContact

I've never seen one of the Mossberg bullpups in the flesh; is the carry handle formed by the shell of the bullpup shell? If it is then you'd have a hard time removing it and putting anything else in it's place.

Have you thought about waiting a little longer and seeing if the Monolith P12 becomes a reality?
Old November 4, 2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Noskov

Quote:
Have you thought about waiting a little longer and seeing if the Monolith P12 becomes a reality?
Never heard of it til now. Did a check and it looks interesting but it looks like almost triple the cost. Monolith Arms is looking at $1,300-1,800 for it...a bit high for a shotgun but it is innovative. "IF" the gun itself becomes reality and depending how the elections go and isn't classified by the BATF as a Class III like the USAS-12 and Streetsweeper, I'll buy it at some point.
Old November 4, 2008, 06:23 PM   #10
SDC

The 500 Bullpup is basically just a shell that clamps around a standard 500, so you should be able to find spots inside that shell where you can put extra weight; lead sheets or bars cut to size would probably work best, since shot would probably work around inside and end up jamming something up.