The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 26, 2018, 12:19 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

"I want one." is a reason. No excuses required.
28 gauge ammo is currently on sale at Midway. Cheap enough(Fiocchi at $7.99 per 25) to be able to try several brands. You probably won't find it just anywhere.
Old August 26, 2018, 12:53 PM   #27
FITASC

Academy will deliver for free and sells Win AA for $8.99/box. Buy when Winchester has its $2/box rebate and now you are at $7/box. Sell those empties to a skeet/sporting reloader at .12/ea and knock another $3/box off making your cost for factory Winchester AA top of the line ammo $4box
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 27, 2018, 11:02 AM   #28
Don Fischer

The best after market product you can get for a 28ga is a loader!
Old August 28, 2018, 11:14 AM   #29
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
If you reload, ClayBuster wads makes a 20 gauge 3/4oz wad that works great (They also make a 3/4oz wad for 12 ga)
Otherwise, if you buy a flat (or up to 5) of Winchester AA ammo from Academy during Winchester's rebate time, your cost is $7/box. If you know skeet/sporting shooters who reload, hou can easily sell the once-fired hulls for .012 each so knock another $3 off per box, making your final cost $4/box
What wad do you change out the claybuster for? I have a hard time loading my shotguns because the data for them seem's to be really hard to come by and choosing wads can be a pain in the buttocks!
Old August 28, 2018, 07:23 PM   #30
FITASC

Those Claybuster wads are 3/4oz; there is no substitute. Now if you want to use CB wads for 7/8, 1, 1-1/8, they make subs for Rem, Win and Fed wads
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2018, 11:14 AM   #31
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcL View Post
Tom Roster's Buffered Lead & Bismuth Reloading Manual has some excellent pressure tested 28 gauge 7/8 ounce buffered load data
If I wanted a 7/8 oz load I'd either go 20ga or to a 16ga 1oz load. Lot of people get the lighter gun because it's easier to carry then up the shot charge and up the recoil at the same time! One cancel's out the other!
Old September 4, 2018, 04:22 PM   #32
Don Fischer

I have never seen one of the newer Ithica's but I understand they are spendy. I have an older mod 37 16ga and never shot it. Was thinking about putting a short barrel on it to use for some grouse hunting but the action needs some kind of up grade to accept the new barrels. I'd get mine out but it has a 28" full barrel and just to much choke and than I'm really big on my SxS's. My favorite upland gun is a 28ga SxS!

I had an 870 Special /field 20ga that was really nice on grouse but didn't track well on open shots. Was thinking about it with my mod 37. Think it had a 21" barrel and I'd had it opened to Imp cyl not long after I got it. Still think about maybe cutting the barrel on the mod 37, lot nicer action than the 870!
Old September 4, 2018, 09:39 PM   #33
HeWhoHunts

My go to shotgun for many years

Nothing left to hunt here bird wise so all my upland scatter guns are gone.......and yep, I'm still kicking myself for selling my 870 28ga I bought the first year they came out.

The single advice I'd give a new 28ga shooter is use or buy one with chokes no looser than a Modified.

I can say about NOW but at one time 410s and 28ga patterns were still for a 30 inch circle......but at 30 yards, not 40. I've had a half dozen 28s and 2 410s, skeet chokes are worthless in the field, at least IMO. Maybe for a close range bunny gun but not birds.

I've taken five quail on the a covey rise more times with a 28ga than any other gauge and the single time I've been grouse hunting (after driving to N. Wis) I took 3 out of 5 shots walking the hunter trails at Park Falls, modified choke 7.5 shot.

No knowledge of other guns but the LW Wingmaster and one O/U but both were LIGHT and FAST coming up on dogless flushes.

The main reason to buy a 28ga is they are just dang fun! I personally stuck with loads of 1300fps. I think originally all 28ga field loads were advertised at that velocity.

I've also shot more 25 straight or 24 / 25 on the skeet range with a 28ga and 1300 fps 9 shot loads than any other gauge. I shot 'low gun" style with butt touching my hip when calling for a bird. Others didnt but I was shooting practicing for hunting, not to compete, yet won more often than not. Yep.....made some old geezers mad at me. lol

I'd have to "re-learn" the muscle memory now in my older years but the light weight would be my friend more now than then.

When quail hunting I took a half dozen ringnecks with a 28ga at close range and before the lead free laws for waterfowl, I shot a truckload of ducks jump shooting them off the ditches and low flying (30 yards) birds. Still the mod barrel but 6 shot in my loads.

In my golden years and more time to shoot...... thinking of buying another 28ga Wingmaster (but price make me gasp looking at the old silver lifter models like mine was!) and saying the H with it, and going back to Park Falls.

DANG that was fun!

Been gone awhile, but back. I looked, whoa.......2010? I need to catch up!
Been on another forum....and got tired of the bickering and name calling so.......ya'll got stuck with me for a bit anyway.

God Bless
Steve
Old September 4, 2018, 09:48 PM   #34
Drm50

We use to keep 3 bird dogs, trained on Grouse. I never used a 410 or 28 when
we had dogs and there was a lot of Grouse. Used 20s & 12s because we had
quality shotguns in those bores. It use to be no trick just to walk up a limit of
Grouse. If your no using dogs some days the small bores will get you by. On
those days when they are flushing at 30yds plus , even a 20 is a Handi cap.
With a dog it is apples and oranges. Any gun you can shoot well will do. In
this area my best Grouse gun for all situations is a Rem 1100 20g SF with a
21"FC vent rib barrel. I had a couple 870 28g FC VRs and a O/U. Both would
do the job on grouse with no problem if they are flushing close.
Old September 5, 2018, 03:02 PM   #35
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
We use to keep 3 bird dogs, trained on Grouse. I never used a 410 or 28 when
we had dogs and there was a lot of Grouse. Used 20s & 12s because we had
quality shotguns in those bores. It use to be no trick just to walk up a limit of
Grouse. If your no using dogs some days the small bores will get you by. On
those days when they are flushing at 30yds plus , even a 20 is a Handi cap.
With a dog it is apples and oranges. Any gun you can shoot well will do. In
this area my best Grouse gun for all situations is a Rem 1100 20g SF with a
21"FC vent rib barrel. I had a couple 870 28g FC VRs and a O/U. Both would
do the job on grouse with no problem if they are flushing close.
I think my old 870 special Field was a 21" barrel. for grouse it was amazing, just point and shoot! But not so good on more open country birds!
Old September 5, 2018, 03:24 PM   #36
FITASC

A 20 or 28 is not a handicap at 30 yards; not if the ammo and choke are proper and you know how to shoot. We used 28s on wild chukar out West and they performed just fine with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant ammo.
Old September 5, 2018, 03:42 PM   #37
Drm50

A lot of guys in my neck of the woods used sawed off 12g guns for grouse and
rabbits in the thick stuff. They worked good there but they weren't good in
the more open cover, with longer shoots.
Old September 22, 2018, 06:34 PM   #38
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I was looking into a 28ga recently but the cost of shells put me off.

Store I was looking at had the basic Winchester/Remington el cheapo 12 and 20 loads for $5.99---similar loads for the 28 were $16.99. Had to pass and got a 20ga.
-------Metallica
Old September 22, 2018, 07:22 PM   #39
FITASC

Walmart sells Winchester AA loads for $8.99/box, as does Academy