The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 28, 2009, 10:45 PM   #26
Singlesix1954

It is ok to send the gun to the maker for repairs. Goes back to a time that mail order was different than now. Some laws just don't make sence...most of them ar gun laws!
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old May 13, 2009, 12:01 AM   #27
Trooper Tyree

Well, I got it back last Fri I think? I took it to the range Monday evening, it was a bit misty with scattered thunderstorms so I had the range to myself. I sat on one of the tables and proceeded to chase tin cans and shotgun shells downrange for about an hour and a half, or roughly 500 rounds.

I kept an eye on the cylinder, checking it every so often. It didn't seem to be having any delamination issues. Towards the end it was getting late and the sun was starting to go down and I noticed every so often it would send a spark out the barrel. At the time I didn't think much of it.

Packed it up, went home, pulled the cylinder out, inspected it. It looked Ok. Perhaps this gun was going to be alright after all.

Today I went to the range again. I being paranoid was once again periodically checking my cylinder. I was about 250-300 rounds in when I decided to check it, pulled the cylinder, slight delamination appeared to be starting in again. Drat. Then as I went to put it back in I stopped and said, bloody hell, whoa nelly, jeepers creepers.

This is what I saw.

Do you suppose this is something I should be concerned about or is it ok to still shoot it?
Old May 13, 2009, 07:03 AM   #28
Jim March

Ah. Yeah. That Ain't Good[tm].

Sigh. Timing went away. Damn.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:57 AM   #29
Trooper Tyree

You know, I think you said yourself that the double striking on the cylinder indicated timing issues, and I told them on the note I sent with the gun that very thing, and yet all they did was replace the cylinder and send it back. That's annoying.

I wonder if I ask nicely if they will reimburse me shipping charges, I'll have $50+ in it after this. The nice lady I talked to the first time told me to pack it up and send it in the mail and they'd even reimburse me postage, which I thought was nice, but they didn't and I figured she just meant they'd cover return postage. Perhaps I'm being cheap but on the other hand I could put it in the 12/22 fund...
Old May 13, 2009, 10:09 AM   #30
CraigC

That thing scares me! I've had excellent service from Cimarron, I'm surprised they didn't do better.

PS, you can't send a handgun through the mail unless you hold an FFL (federal law). It must be sent Next Day Air by UPS or FedEx (company policy) and it must be declared as a firearm (federal law).
Old May 13, 2009, 10:41 AM   #31
Lashlarue

Two things that bothered me was the key operated safety and the fact that they sleeved the chambers which made me think the cylinders were probably cast from Zamak3.My Rough Rider is 16 years old and had a steady diet of 22mag, and shows no sign of wear anywhere...
Old May 13, 2009, 04:28 PM   #32
Trooper Tyree

Quite honestly I'm a bit scared of it now too.

I was skeptical of the sleeved barrel and cylinder but thought, well, it is only a .22 and perhaps it's what they had to do to keep the balance and weight authentic...

Now though I'm thinking I'd sacrifice some authenticity for solid steel. That USFA 12/22 now, the quality on it looks topnotch.

Even if they replace it and send me a new one, I think I'm still going to tuck it back in the box and take it to the next gun show.
Old July 22, 2009, 03:20 PM   #33
10 Beers

I looked at both the Cimarron and the Haritadge 22cal sixguns and both were trash as far as I go. Jim, I'm shocked you bought one. I looked at them both and bought a used Ruger Single Six instead. Both guns have WAY ugly safetys on the left recoil shield that are like tiny lawyers that you take to the range. What you want are those old H&R 22cal sixshooters, I had a 900 and something 22/22mag I sold to a good friend 'cause he needed it and I'll miss it forever. The only problem with the old solid steel H&Rs was they were small in the hand.
Old July 22, 2009, 08:09 PM   #34
Jim March

Well to a degree, so am I . But mine has held up for it's intended purpose: an exact size/heft trainer replica of the Colt SAA for cheap practice.

NOT a gun I would trust my butt to. But as a practice gun, with Cimarron's support behind it, it makes sense as a stand-in for my NewVaq357.

Is the Single Six a better gun? You bet. But the size/heft/feel is all off.
Old October 26, 2009, 03:29 PM   #35
victorB

Cimarron Plinkerton

Hey Trooper, how did the problem with the Cimarron Plinkerton work out? I am in the process of purchasing one and wish I saw this thread before I ordered it. I'm hopeful that it was a defect and not something that is common place.
Old October 26, 2009, 05:55 PM   #36
PetahW

Some folks seem to have a gift for finding the cheapest equipment, then wondering why it doesn't work.

JMO, but the $$$ savings isn't worth the aggrivation, and the quality is about what I expect from Chiappa, since they are simply another name for the old Armi Sport trash manufacturers/importers of yore.

They also have issues with their Model 92's, that goes beyond the pretty faces.

Old October 26, 2009, 10:22 PM   #37
Jim March

So far my experience has been good but again, this is NOT a gun I'd trust my safety to, period.
Old October 26, 2009, 10:43 PM   #38
Singlesix1954

Ok get off the guy about the price of his toy. It realy doesn't matter if we give $600 for a Single Six Hunter or $125 for a EEA, we all have the right to expect the thing to work.

Now if this were mine I would be p1$$3d off at Cimmeron. Timeing issues like this can cause hand and eye injury. I not only would send it back, but I would send a photo copy of the recipt and demand the money back.

Go get a Ruger and shoot safely till you run out of ammo...then get some more!
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old October 27, 2009, 11:42 AM   #39
FrankSoCal

That is a UPS policy

That is why everyone (?) uses Fed-Ex overnight. Overnight, I've been told is required. Cuts down a lot on the socks in the dryer syndrome too.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:48 AM   #40
FrankSoCal

gotta jump on the band wagon

I bught 2 of the 550 boxes of Goldens at Walmart. Gave them away. WAY more than a couple of failure to fires. It was the same with my S&W Mdl 18,Mdl 41 and my Super Single Six. Gave the ammo away to a new shooter who can use them to see if he is flinching, jerking etc.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:58 AM   #41
predecessor

You Get What You Pay For

Pros: The Plinkerton has very similar dimensions to a SAA and therefore allows one to affordably practice CAS shooting or just have fun. It's less than $200

Cons: Materials are cheap, QC is VERY spotty, and unlike most other firearms, you will probably outlast these revolvers.

We sent several back to Chiappa on behalf of customers with either the steel sleeve protruding from the barrel after a few rounds or the cylinder slots were too tight. Cimarron doesn't handle the warranty work but passes the buck handily onto Chiappa. Chiappa very quickly replaced all of the revolvers we sent them (on our shipping dime) and provided extra wooden grips for the revolvers for the customer's trouble.

This revolver is a great buy if you understand that you are not purchasing a USFA Plinker or 12/22 -- please don't expect that kind of quality from a sub $200 pistol and go and and have fun. When it breaks, send it back to Chiappa or go get another one!