Old December 25, 2016, 10:35 PM   #26
DPris
Member Emeritus

Only converted Webleys used the moons.
Original calibers were rimmed.
Denis
Old December 27, 2016, 12:18 AM   #27
cpt-t

Model12Win: If You are wanting a handgun that shoots both 45LC and 45ACP very acutely. IMHO You would be hard pressed to beat a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible that has both the 45LC cylinder and a 45ACP cylinder. I bought mind NIB in 1971. And it has always been my favorite SA Ruger and it still is. And I have several SA Rugers now. If I shoot it off of a dead rest at 25 yds The 45LC cylinder will shoot to point of aim and group about the size of a golf ball. But if I switch to my 45ACP cylinder the group remains the same golf ball size, but shoots about an inch higher. Just can't get much better than that, for me any way. This Old Ruger is one of my all time Treasures and an Old Friend. And I shoot it alot.
ken
Old December 28, 2016, 10:23 PM   #28
Nanuk

A friend bought one. At first it would not chamber 45 colt in one charge hole. When he got it back fro Ruger, between the trigger pull, fail to fire and accuracy woes he got rid of it.

I think a convertible Blackhawk is a much better gun.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 29, 2016, 02:09 AM   #29
Model12Win

Yes, a convertible Blackhawk it shall be.

If I could find one. I've scoured the net and used slickguns.com to hunt for a blued 5.5" .45 convertible with no luck. They must be between runs.
Old December 29, 2016, 07:36 AM   #30
tallball

The Blackhawks are very sturdy. They are an example of a firearm to consider buying used, since they are tough to wear out. I have five SA Ruger revolvers. I bought four of them used, and they all work fine.
Old December 29, 2016, 02:40 PM   #31
cpt-t

Model12Win: Don't get in too much of a hurry one will come your way. Take Your time and be picky on the Ruger Blackhawk 45LC & 45ACP Convertible you buy for they will last forever much longer than You will. My Ruger 45LC & 45ACP Convertible has a 7 1/2 in barrel and I prefer it over shorter barreled Rugers. My Son and I have bought quite a few SA Rugers over the years, NIB or Used in different calibers but mostly in 45LC. And again we have never had any type of problems with any of the Rugers we own. We are dyed in the wool S/A Ruger fans, but we have a few Ruger D/A Revolvers, and several Ruger Semi Automatics as well. Good Luck To You.
ken
Old January 14, 2017, 01:12 AM   #32
TruthTellers

Huh, .45 ACP doesn't look inaccurate to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfcWPOecspQ&t=4s
Old January 14, 2017, 03:03 AM   #33
DPris
Member Emeritus

What he did in that video can't be taken as any sort of a comprehensive accuracy test.

One .45 ACP load is not indicative of what the gun does across a wide spectrum of loads.

As I've repeatedly said, in testing multiple ACP loads through two samples I got a couple loads that ran around 2-3 inches at 25 yards, and others that ran 6-13 inches at the same distance.

The model CAN shoot decently with ACPs, but you may have to experiment with several to find one or two loads that do.
Denis
Old January 14, 2017, 03:03 AM   #34
Model12Win

Well judging from the tests from those hear, for true target shooting, I'd have to say otherwise.

Hickok wasn't target shooting, if anything he was plinking at his steel plates.
Old January 14, 2017, 04:14 AM   #35
1stmar

Denis did you find anything specific it liked? Did it like a certain powder, heavier bullet, longer coal?
Old January 14, 2017, 04:46 AM   #36
TruthTellers

Quote:
Hickok wasn't target shooting, if anything he was plinking at his steel plates.
Plinking at 60-80 yards. Yeah, but if this Redhawk was giving say, 5-6 inch groups at 25 yards, then he shouldn't have been able to be getting hits on his gong or turkey silhouette.
Old January 14, 2017, 08:20 AM   #37
roashooter

edited............

Last edited by roashooter; January 14, 2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old January 14, 2017, 12:19 PM   #38
jski

I've read about accuracy issues with the Redhawk firing 45ACP rounds. With one cylinder for both rounds the 45ACP has a gap between the end of cartridge and the beginning of the cylinder throat.

The better bet is the 45 Colt/45ACP Blackhawk convertible. It has TWO cylinders, one for each round.
Old January 14, 2017, 12:51 PM   #39
DPris
Member Emeritus

1st,
I shot the same 9 factory ACP loads through both samples.

The SIG 200-grain JHP was the only one that ran a fraction under 3 inches in both guns, and considering it had a shorter OAL, that surprised me.

The Win White Box 230 FMJ produced a 13-inch BEST group in one gun, and an 8 7/8-inch BEST group in the other.

All at 25 yards off a rest, 5-shot groups on black bulls.

Truth,
I doubt he was plinking quite that far out, but even if he was, as I said the gun CAN shoot with the right load.
He evidently lucked into one that WAS the right load.

If you think you want to carry this farther, go do your own actual shooting tests, off the bench, at 25 yards, with more than one load, measure them with a ruler center-to-center, and get back to us.

In the meantime, what Hickok shows in your video link is not a valid test of accuracy by any reputable measurable standard.

Even my tests were limited in the overall scheme of low-sample methodology, but far more comprehensive and analytical than what he did.

Not knocking him, he just doesn't do gun reviews. He does gun talkabouts & shoots a bit informally while he's at it.
Denis
Old January 14, 2017, 01:39 PM   #40
ShootistPRS

The same inaccuracies can be experienced with most guns firing "off the shelf" ammo. That was one of the reasons I started reloading in 1969, I couldn't find any factory ammo that was accurate in my 3006. The gun is accurate with the right load. That 45 Colt/ACP is just like any other gun, you have to find a load it likes.
Old January 14, 2017, 01:56 PM   #41
1stmar

I'm picking one up in March or April, let you know. Thx Denis
Old January 14, 2017, 02:06 PM   #42
DPris
Member Emeritus

That particular model is just a bit more temperamental in its likes & dislikes with ACP than other single-caliber guns are.

I have a dedicated .45 ACP Smith that does much better across the board, with its short ACP chamber.

The convertible Red is a neat idea, and a very clever way to shoot those two calibers in the same DA cylinder.
There are inherent drawbacks to that approach, though, and you can't expect the same level of consistent ACP accuracy in the gun that the .45 Colt loads provide.

Good luck 1st.
Denis
Old January 14, 2017, 02:58 PM   #43
1stmar

The attraction for me is the round butt and 4", the 45acp is icing on the cake. I'll reload 45 colt anyway so if I want low recoil I'm sure I can find a load. 45 colt will be my primary ammo through it. Acp is more of a conviemce or curio factor. On rare occasions may put some hot buffalo loads, though I guess not recommended (?), no desire for steady diet.
Old January 14, 2017, 04:30 PM   #44
DPris
Member Emeritus

I ran some BBs through it in .45 Colt, had to change the grips to finish.
Not pleasant.
Denis
Old January 14, 2017, 05:55 PM   #45
TruthTellers

What grips did you use? I'm curious as since this is not a standard Redhawk grip most of the Hogue grips don't properly fit to it.
Old January 14, 2017, 07:56 PM   #46
DPris
Member Emeritus

I used a standard set of finger-grooved wood Hogues made to fit a Redhawk.
They are not intended to perfectly fit a square-butt gripframe, but they do bolt right on.
They leave an open space at the bottom rear where the steel curves inward, but they're just fine for shooting.

Finishing up the testing with very hot & heavy BB .45 Colt loads using the abbreviated gripframe (which I do like, overall) just wasn't gonna happen.
Denis
Old January 15, 2017, 09:42 AM   #47
agtman

Quote:
jsk said: I've read about accuracy issues with the Redhawk firing 45ACP rounds. With one cylinder for both rounds the 45ACP has a gap between the end of cartridge and the beginning of the cylinder throat. The better bet is the 45 Colt/45ACP Blackhawk convertible. It has TWO cylinders, one for each round.
Not only accuracy issues, but I've read a number of user reports citing function and fitment problems with Ruger's goofy proprietary moon clips in the Model 5032. They're not the same as the "standard" .45 moon clips that S&W uses in its .45acp wheel guns.

And if you don't buy extra clips from Ruger, there is, if I recall correctly, only one aftermarket source for clips that are compatible with the 45LC/.45acp model 5032.

And with a Blackhawk that used two different (dedicated) cylinders, you wouldn't need moon clips anyway.
Old February 20, 2017, 05:10 PM   #48
TruthTellers

Shot this today with both .45 Colt and ACP. Shooting the ACP out at 20 yards with my hands resting on a plastic ammo box gave me a 3 inch group with PPU ammo. I think that given more time and better ammo I could shoot a tighter group and don't believe there is an accuracy issue with ACP.

Of course, this was my gun.

If someone is considering this revolver and is put off by claims of inaccuracy with .45 ACP in it, don't believe it. Within 20 yards, you can hit a man's torso in single action. Double action under 10 yards semi rapid firing is fine too.

My 2 cents
Old February 20, 2017, 10:11 PM   #49
Nanuk

Quote:
If someone is considering this revolver and is put off by claims of inaccuracy with .45 ACP in it, don't believe it. Within 20 yards, you can hit a man's torso in single action. Double action under 10 yards semi rapid firing is fine too.
A quality double action revolver should be capable of a 3"- 4" group @ 25 yards with just about any ammo.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 21, 2017, 12:04 PM   #50
DPris
Member Emeritus

TT,
Your conclusion regarding the accuracy of the gun based on one load at 20 yards is useless.

You base your entire assessment of the gun's accuracy on ONE load.
You have no clue.

Try TWO guns, with MULTIPLE loads, at 25 yards, off a solid rest, and then I'll grant you credibility.
In the meantime, having done that & found both guns to be wildly variable with ACP loads, I give you none.

The guns CAN shoot decently with ACPs, but you may have to experiment to find a load that does.

You apparently stumbled across one your gun shoots well early on.
In no way is that an adequate evaluation of the model's capabilities, and in no way does it support your broad advice to disregard "claims of inaccuracy" by those who do have a basis for making qualified conclusions.

When I was getting 25-yard groups of 5, 8, and 13 inches as BEST groups in 8 different loads through both guns, my fact-based impressions of ACP accuracy differ greatly from your extremely limited experience.
Denis

Last edited by DPris; February 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM.