The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2011, 05:28 PM   #26
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thy skull's none the thicker than others here, K-man, including mine.

You've asked little I hadn't,and gotten better answers.

These fora are for passing on solid info to those that need it, and for educating new shooters. Not all of whom are comfortable with posting.

So ask away, that's why we're here.
Old April 19, 2011, 07:10 PM   #27
TheKlawMan

That's a dangerous thing to say to me, Dave. I can analyze the wings off a gnat and still have questions.
Old April 19, 2011, 10:02 PM   #28
Bubba in c.a.

Your numbers are off. Most SD shootings are at 0 to 20 feet. Hitting somebody QUICKLY at 4 feet may be much more important than hitting somebody with more precision at 30 feet.

Federal le132 is good stuff--at 0 feet on out to luxurious shots at 30 yards more.
Old April 20, 2011, 04:22 PM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I accept the risk.......
Old April 22, 2011, 06:35 PM   #30
TheKlawMan

I finally got out to where I could have it with buck and slugs. It not only went fine, but I only had to drive about 35 minutes to get to a place called Mike Raahauges Pheasant Club instead of well over an hour from southern Orange County to get Burro Canyon.

They set me up all by my lonesome on the 100 yard rifle range, but had me firing at 10 yards to simulate lilkely maximum home defense distances. When I say they set me up, the rangemaster spent about half an hounr showing me how to load and use the 870 for defense as opposed to breaking clays. This was all with the open cylinder 18 1/2 inch defense barrel.

The range also bosts several sporting clay fields.

Anyway, while the buckshot and slugs definitely packed more of a wallop than the target loads from WalMart, it was doable. Two hours have passed and I have yet to feel any discomfort.

I also feel more confident after having loaded up my beast with 7 rounds and fired them as quickly as I could without rushing or aiming. He had me concetrating on the center of the man size target, bring the gun to my shoulder and firing without aiming with the bead, Besically pointing like shooting clays.

One ammunition type I was curious about surpised me. Its marketed by Remington for LE. I thing it is moderately low recoil, muzzle velocity being around 125 fps, and has a load consisting of a 1 oz slug and 3 pieces of 00 buck. I tested it once by taking more of an aimed shot. The slug was cenetered 1" to the right of the X and the 3 shot were alomost perfectly spaced around it in the 9 ring with each shot roughly at 120 degrees. The spread at 10 yards, which I haven't actually measured, is around 8" with that barrel.

Unfortunately, it may not be legal ammo for a civilian.
Old April 22, 2011, 07:06 PM   #31
BigJimP

But you learned a lot ...and that's all good info ...nicely done !!
Old April 22, 2011, 08:56 PM   #32
zippy13

Happy to hear you had a successful outing at Raahauge's. It's only a few miles (as the crow flies) from Prado, on the other side of the flood control basin. Much more convenient for you than Burro Canyon, glad you found the place.

I doubt the LE shotgun shells are illegal for civilians, but it may not be readily available. Slug-n-shot and reduced recoil LE and personal defense shells seem to be the hot-ticket loads now, and we're seeing new loads offered.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:12 PM   #33
ET.

I'm late to this discussion, but I have this same Remington 870 tactical shotgun as well. I also added the Super Cell recoil pad, as well as a flashlight on a magazine mounted rail and I am quite pleased with it for home protection. I also added a leather military style sling even though some don't like a sling on a home defense shotgun. They think it gets in the way. I need a sling on mine. It just feels right because it is what I'm used to having on a shotgun.

I bought a good supply of Remington low recoil 00 buckshot & found a few boxes of low recoil slugs at a gun show as well. I keep it loaded with the 00 buckshot by my bed & have some slugs & extra buckshot in a shell holder on the stock. I haven't shot it much since I broke it in a few years ago, but I've been shooting shotguns since I got one for Christmas when I was 12, so I'm proficient with shotguns. You bought a good basic HD shotgun that will serve you well. Have fun shooting it. It's a blast. (juvenile pun intended)
Old May 3, 2011, 01:14 AM   #34
TheKlawMan

Thanks ET. I like it more and more each time I use it.