The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Tlewis81

Bullet 2nds

Whats ur feeling on seconds??? Little cheaper i see....expierences...tested along side the normal factory 1s?
Old August 20, 2016, 11:55 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Seconds are just cosmetically unpleasing. Tiny chunks out of the jackets, etc. However, they shoot just fine. The only part of a bullet that matters is the base.
Old August 20, 2016, 12:49 PM   #3
jwrowland77

I use seconds all the time for hunting applications. I use Partitions. Never any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 20, 2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Reloader2

I've had seconds that were different specs than the regular run bullets.
Measure 2nds to make sure they are what you think they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old August 20, 2016, 05:30 PM   #5
reddog81

I've always had good luck with seconds but I imagine sometimes there would issues that could cause problems. If you buy from a reputable dealer you should get an accurate description.
Old August 21, 2016, 12:45 AM   #6
WVMountaineer

I bought 600 bullets of Nosler Partition 2nds in 180 grain. Of the 75 or so I've shot building a load and hunting, they are dialed into less than 3/4 inch at 100 yards. They have performed flawlessly on game as well. However, I've had 2nd Corelokts that blew up on impact. I have No complaints with the Nosler but, will never buy a Corelokt 2nd for hunting again. God Bless

Last edited by WVMountaineer; August 21, 2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old August 21, 2016, 07:42 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

I have been using them for years, mostlyfor hunting purposes. There have been some that were missing tips or weren't formed just right but they were probably less than two dozen out of several thousands I have purchased and shot.

If they shoot at or under 1.5" at 100-200yds they are good enough for most of my needs.

I have heard, not verified, that usually these are the ones they make when setting up the presses or changing out dies for a large run. They might be off just a little here or there, or may or may not have a cannalure. They may also have been slated for factory loaded ammo but for whatever reason didn't get used or were over runs. Either way they are surely usable.
Old August 21, 2016, 08:17 AM   #8
Jim Watson

At one time, I shot a lot of pistol seconds, I would order a couple of thousand whenever the type I preferred was offered.
Over several years, the defects got worse and the discount was less, so I quit.
Old August 21, 2016, 08:24 AM   #9
hooligan1

I now use them, thanks to Taylorce1 turning me on to Pro Shooter Supply.
I found that jacket consistancy varies but only minimally, and doesn't effect consistant grouping.
I will be using 150 ABLR seconds for deer this season through my .270 win. They're amazingly accurate with the load I came up with, that load also thanks to Taylorce1 for helping me with dynamite powder selection.
Old August 21, 2016, 09:29 AM   #10
g.willikers

I've bought plenty of bullets that looked like they should have been declared as seconds.
But they always shot good.
It all depends on who made them and how off they really are.
Like so many things about reloading, it all depends.
Old August 21, 2016, 10:55 AM   #11
briandg

I purchased a fartload of nosler 180 .308 many years ago, and still have many of them. What I noticed was that the jackets were crinkled at the tip. This couldn't affect accuracy, couldn't affect terminal performance.

its possible that quality checks could reveal problems and the entire run would be dumped as seconds, im not sure that id use a second for anything important,
Old August 21, 2016, 11:05 AM   #12
Ozzieman

I've used seconds and pulled bullets for plinking 45 ACP, 44, 5.56 and 308.
Never had any problem with them on the guns I use them on but I do throw a few away now and then on the pulled. Never on the seconds.
I know you were asking about seconds but you should also give pulled a look.
I have purchased thousands of 5.56 from RMR and was never sorry. My only complaint is that they very seldom have 44 jacked pulled

http://rmrbullets.com/

http://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-f...-tail-new-100/

I purchased 6000 of these several years ago thinking I would never buy another bullet for my AR's, This would be a guess but I throw away maybe one every 250 or so, mostly for being a little deformed around the cannelure.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; August 21, 2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old August 21, 2016, 01:26 PM   #13
Clark

In 2004 I was getting seconds at pennies on the dollar. UPS max was 80 pound boxes and I got a lot of boxes. Some shot better than me, some shot worse than me, and some I have not tried yet.

Over the years, retailers have learned they not need to discount them that much to sell them.

After the prices went up, I did find an error on the Midway site, I think error, the 338 250 gr Nos Partition Gold were 10 cents a shot. Those were retro 2004 type discounts.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 21, 2016, 03:38 PM   #14
Slamfire

It depends on what you want to do. I purchased thousands of Sierra 308 168 grain Matchkings and decided the best practice was to weigh the cases. I sorted the stuff by weight, generally in half grain spreads. I found lightweight bullets, the cores were not correct. I found heavier bullets. A bud of mine, he weighs factory first quality because he has found lightweight and heavy cores in his 500 bullet boxes of Sierra Match bullets.
Old August 21, 2016, 07:08 PM   #15
Mobuck

I've been killing deer with bullets from a 500 count box of "BLEMS" since 2008. I've found only a couple of anomalies in performance out of all those fired and neither caused any big problem.