The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2001, 10:58 PM   #1
Jamie Young

Help me Identify this shotgun?

Years ago when I was a kid I went to the rifle range with my Dad. I ran into a guy that had a shotgun (I don't know what gauge) that had a 22LR barrel mounted on top of it. I think they both went off at the same time with one trigger. Can anyone tell me what kind of shotgun that was or who makes something like that?
Old June 12, 2001, 11:38 PM   #2
PreserveFreedom

I know that Savage currently makes several rifle/shotgun combinations. There are also some 22/410 survival guns out there like that. They do not fire at the same time, to my knowledge.

Old June 13, 2001, 04:01 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It was probably the Savage Model 24, and they didn't go off simultaneously.

While the Drillings get most of the combo press, some German and Continental guns, usually O/U, were made and used. I think some were pressed into service during WWII as survival weapons for Luftwaffe airmen. Lots of these came here in duffel bags, ca 1945-6.
Old June 14, 2001, 01:25 PM   #4
Shok

My mom had an old Savage .22/.410 over under. There was a switch to select which barrel to fire. One trigger and one hammer.

Shok

``If we moms can push 9 pound (4 kg) babies through our bodies, some of them with heads as big as bowling balls, surely we can push [gun control] legislation through the halls of Congress,'' Dees-Thomases MMM founder.

"Small arms, too, are weapons of mass destruction," Louise Frechette deputy secretary-general for the U.N. small arms conference
Old June 14, 2001, 07:32 PM   #5
johnbt

I had a .22 mag./.410 and loved it. It was just too heavy for a little kid to drag around all afternoon.

John