The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 17, 2008, 05:13 PM   #1
eastbank

the one i like the best,flint lock rifle

here is the black powder rifle i like best, not to much to look at, (may be a little homley). its a old dixie tenn. poor boy left hand flint with a 40 inch 50 cal., built by gun maker ken ishler of millheim pa. and it shoots better than i can hold it. with black english flint in it i have to work at it to make it misfire. eastbank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 478.jpg (262.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 475.jpg (263.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 477.jpg (257.6 KB, 98 views)
Old December 17, 2008, 05:16 PM   #2
mykeal

Beautiful gun. The only thing wrong is the lock is on the wrong side.
Old December 17, 2008, 05:24 PM   #3
eastbank

mykeal,thank you. believe it or not,but i see more flash shooting the left hand lock , than i do shooting my right hand locks, as i close my right eye when shooting and that blocks the flash mostly out on the right hand locks. if you shot a left hand lock you would not see much flash as your left eye would be closed while aiming,unless you shoot with both eyes open, and i have not mastered that yet. eastbank.
Old December 17, 2008, 06:08 PM   #4
WadePatton

Cool rifle. I'm gathering info and planning my first rock crusher. So far it'll be a swamped 54 cal bbl in the Southern/TN style (except for caliber of course), all steel, possibly local wood. And I'm going to cram all the parts together myself.

So maybe before deer season next year I'll be futzing with all the little peculiarities of flinters.
Old December 17, 2008, 07:15 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Beautiful gun. Glad to see the lock on the correct side.
Old December 18, 2008, 12:37 AM   #6
arcticap

It looks awfully nice.
Is that flint wrapped in lead?
Old December 18, 2008, 12:48 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Jim Chambers (Siler Locks) warned us against wrapping flints in lead. While it does hold, it adds to the mass. On a forged hammer, it doesn't matter but with investment casted hammers, that additional mass can cause the hammer to bend. Jim has seen several that were affected and thus passed on that warning in his lock assembly class.
Old December 18, 2008, 06:26 AM   #8
eastbank

arcticap, it,s leather. i tried a piece of thin sheet lead years ago and it worked, but when you tightened it and used it for a while you had to retighten the jaws, with leather when you tighten the jaws the leather does not take a set like lead and stays snug longer. plus it is easier to work with(put in and adjust as the flint wears down). i started shooting black powder in 1963 and there was not to much to choose from then, today we have guns fron 89.00 to the sky,s the limit. i have 18 black guns right now, i just sold a thompson center pa. hunter 50 cal. flint carbine to a friend(i never got used to the short barrel.) with what av50gary said, if you have a thin neck on your hammer i could see that happening. eastbank.