The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 08:57 PM   #1
fsfty

1911 ammo for HD

Just got a Colt CCG 1911 and am thinking about using it for HD. Is using 230gr FMJ sufficient. I'm hesitant to use HP cause I've heard they can be finicky in 1911s. What do you guys think?
Old March 22, 2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Some 1911s are finicky with HP, some not. It kind of depends on what your gun likes. While 230 gr FMJ will do its part, if you want something that will expand, you might consider something like the Cor-bon Pow'Rball. Or Hornady Critical Defense.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:55 PM   #3
MTSCMike

Don't carry anything in your pistol for defense that you aren't willing to test first. If you buy enough HP defense ammo to test and it functions flawlessly the you have your ammo. If it doesn't then try something else. If the hardball runs in your gun then use it until you find something better that also runs.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:29 AM   #4
DaleA

^ This! (MTSCMike's post)

You gotta test it in your own personal gun to see if it works. You can't take our word on it - or you shouldn't. Plus you need the practice - we all do.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:56 AM   #5
LockedBreech

I'm really fond of the ball profile of Remington Golden Saber BJHP. It also has the bonus of being a very effective load, notwithstanding occasional jacket separation issues, with consistently excellent penetration, expansion, and nasty sharp petals. I have fired over 100 rounds through my tiny Ruger LCP .380 with no issues, and many people I know who own 1911s use it as their load because it feeds like FMJ bullets.

I echo the above sentiments. While I realize it's a tall order in the current scarce/expensive ammo rush, you should run at least a box or two through your gun. Normally, a box of 50 satisfies me, but I'd shoot 100-200 with a 1911.

While in guns that aren't finicky I prefer Speer Gold Dots or Federal HST, the Golden Saber is an excellent choice when feeding is a concern.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:59 AM   #6
Webleymkv

My S&W 1911 runs superbly with Federal HST 230gr +P. Besides the ammo and gun itself, the magazines play a large part in a 1911's reliability with JHP ammo. I, personally, have had good luck with Wilsons and Chip McCormicks but not-so-good luck with Colt factory mags.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedBreech
I'm really fond of the ball profile of Remington Golden Saber BJHP.
If your 1911 won't run with Golden Saber, sell the gun. I don't think I've ever met a 1911 that wouldn't feed Golden Saber.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:56 AM   #8
thedudeabides

All of my Colts feed most kinds of JHPs without problem.

Remington Golden Saber seems to be my go-to.

You will have to buy a few boxes and run them through your Colt to make sure they work, since even though 1911s aren't exclusive to ball ammo anymore I wouldn't trust that fact until I've seen it myself.

Wilson Combat 47D magazines (with the nylon follower) tend to work really well with JHPs.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:56 AM   #9
jad0110

I agree, my 1911 runs perfectly with the 230 grain Remington GS, and the price isn't too bad either, when I can find it. It also likes 230 grain Federal Hi-shok. 1911s seem to run best with hollowpoints that closely mimic the shape/size/weight of 230 grain ball ammo.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:38 AM   #10
KyJim

I own several 1911s and I use the Golden Sabers if any of them bobble with Gold Dots or HSTs. They are good rounds that work. As others have said, you have to test them in YOUR gun.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:34 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Barrel throating, polish feed ramp...

Minor pistolsmithing work from a top shop can correct any problems with JHPs or some defense loads.
In 2013, there are many top LE grade brands & styles in .45acp(IF you buy them ).
Good brands include; the new Hornady Critical Duty 220gr .45acp, Ranger T/T series 230gr +P, Corbon PowRball/DPX, Hornady TAP, Golden Saber 230gr +P JHP, Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP +P, DoubleTap Ammo 230gr +P, MagSafe SWAT .45acp.

CF
www.ammotogo.com www.grafs.com www.shopcorbon.com www.sgammo.com www.doubletapammo.com www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com
Old March 25, 2013, 12:48 PM   #12
S_Constitutionist

While the Golden Saber is a slightly outdated design, it will certainly get the job done if you do yours. They also feed like butter in my 1911.

No matter what you choose, shoot a crap load of them to confirm they function in your gun/mags. The golden saber is also quite a bit cheaper than some of the new hotness if you shop around.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Skadoosh

Personally, I would carry Federal Premium 200gr.+P Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo in a finicky 1911. If you can find it.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Doc Intrepid

I've carried Federal Hydra-Shok in my .45s for years. I believe in the round, and have shot them in all sorts of environments.

But I am not an expert.

A guy who I consider to be an expert extols the virtue of carrying high-quality ball ammo for self defense. Here is his quote:

CLINT SMITH ON THE 1911 --
“The 1911 remains popular because it’s an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, I’ve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911’s than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals – policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because the know their live may depend on it…Me? I’ve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. It’s a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, I’m not concerned about tight groups. I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.” From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.

See what works best in your own pistol, under nearly any circumstance you can imagine. Carry that.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:11 PM   #15
Water-Man

My favorite is Federal HST 230gr. JHP.

I also like Speer Gold Dot 230gr. GDHP.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:32 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

This is why I now see 1911's as range guns -___-

they were meant to run with FMJ's in a time without JHP's.

There are some that are fully capable of running JHP's. My SIG 1911 XO is my best 1911. My Colt's don't feed JHP's, SA's didn't either.

I don't like the whole 1911 game anymore, where you have to change this and buy that. Cut this and sand down and polish that. All for a gun that holds 7-9 rounds flush before a mag change?

I think they're amazing guns and I have several. But for SD and HD they're outdated.

Tuned and running them for offensive purposes? Like SWAT, FBI, etc...fine. But why would one do that? IMO the trigger.
As an offensive gun I get it..kind of..I guess.

Modern pistols for self defense when the criminal has the drop on you basically all the time? I'd stick to a double stack 9mm.

Sorry! Just helping out one of the fellow good guys. It's not much a fighting pistol in my eyes anymore.

Parts are a PITA to interchange with over 100 different manufacturers making the 1911 right now. Nothing is "drop-in" really. If you shoot a lot you need access to parts like you need air.

Again, I don't see it as a fighting pistol. Like it, respect it..but times have changed and the gap between the .45 and other handgun cartridges have narrowed so much, they're all the same darn thing in terms of "stopping a bad guy" in that they'd never compare to a rife.

Sorry again! ok.....as for ammo? I don't know...all mine had different attitudes. just my $0.02 on the 1911 matter.

EDIT: Not belittling anyone who carries theirs. They obviously trust and love their 1911 for a reason. And I hope to God it's always in their favor. This is just my opinion as to why. I know many disagree and few will agree. I don't mind at all. To each his own. We're the good guys here. Looking out for my brothers.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; March 25, 2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: disclaimer
Old March 25, 2013, 04:06 PM   #17
KyJim

Quote:
There are some that are fully capable of running JHP's. My SIG 1911 XO is my best 1911. My Colt's don't feed JHP's, SA's didn't either.
Fair point, though my experience with newer models (last 20 years) has been overwhelmingly good. This issue is present, to a lesser degree, in other semi-autos.

Quote:
where you have to change this and buy that. Cut this and sand down and polish that.
This is mostly from the tinkerer mentality that many have. I've never done anything to mine other than some routine maintenance or something purely cosmetic like grips.

Quote:
Parts are a PITA to interchange with over 100 different manufacturers making the 1911 right now. Nothing is "drop-in" really. If you shoot a lot you need access to parts like you need air.
But most of the general maintenance items are drop-in (springs, primarily). Now, if you want a different trigger, barrel, grip safety, etc., then there will be some deviation (again, the tinkerer mentality). However, that also means you have a much wider choice. How many manufacturers make barrels for a SW M&P? One or two? How, many for a 1911? A dozen? What happens in a few years when H&K stops making a particular model of gun? The parts eventually start drying up. I just don't see that as an issue with the 1911.

Quote:
Tuned and running them for offensive purposes? Like SWAT, FBI, etc...fine. But why would one do that? IMO the trigger.
As an offensive gun I get it..kind of..I guess.

Modern pistols for self defense when the criminal has the drop on you basically all the time? I'd stick to a double stack 9mm.
Whatever floats your boat on this but if someone is used to the manual of arms and can efficiently draw and flip off the safety, how is it not a good defensive handgun? Sure, if you're not going to actually shoot the gun, just stick it in a nightstand, something else might be better (I would suggest a revolver for that). I do understand the grab and shoot attraction of double action handguns. I also can't deny that more rounds is better than less rounds but that's part of the compromise you get with the ergonomics of a 1911. BTW, with a 9mm 1911, it's 9 or 10 rounds plus one chambered.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:19 PM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

1911 ammo for HD

I don't see it as just the tinkerers that see that. Guns are tools and tools break. Pieces fall apart and wear. Springs etc. it's much more difficult to find the one that's closest to measurement to a 1911 than any other gun today. Cause of the different manufactured 1911's that scrapped the original measurements and cuts for whatever reason.

There's more I wish to respond to but I'm on my phone and can't see it, that's mainly what stuck :\

Oh and yeah. I agree. I think I mentioned that somewhere, about if the person is used to the 1911. Go for it. Doesn't concern me and I admire them. Just don't see it as a fighting pistol in this day and age is all.

Thanks for your reply!