The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2019, 04:16 PM   #1
RedLeg6

Question about a Colt M1911A1

I recently acquired an absolutely beautiful Colt M1911A1 that looks like an M1911. The major external difference is the lack of an extended mainspring housing. By the serial number it was produced in 1943 and is so marked as M1911A1 U.S. Army. The Parkerization is perfect in all respects. What bothers me is a new blued barrel, hammer, safety, and take-down pin all of which are high gloss blued. The rear sight, labeled Micro, is also blued and adjustable. Obviously this piece has been refinished - restored to new. My question is did someone like Trumball do it or was it an arsenal job. In any case, why would anyone used new, high blued parts? Does anyone have ideas?
Old April 5, 2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Gloss blue small parts and Micro sight are indications of somebody dressing up a surplus pistol. Back when they were cheap or free (Free if you managed to pilfer your service sidearm.). Not original, not arsenal, not high dollar restorer.
Old April 5, 2019, 06:29 PM   #3
polyphemus

Quote:
My question is did someone like Trumball do it or was it an arsenal job.
Your question is most likely to be answered by Mr. Turnbull.
Old April 6, 2019, 05:45 AM   #4
Ibmikey

What makes you think Turnbull did any work on the pistol, without photos the audience cannot even make a bad guess. Without some documentation about the customizer you might as well suspect the local gunsmith/ rebluer did it and even if that were known the pistol would be worth more un molested than in it’s current state. An “arsenal job” it surely is not.
Old April 6, 2019, 07:08 AM   #5
P-990

We need pictures! Also, if it's a 1943 frame, it's a M1911A1, since it will have the scallops in the frame behind the trigger to ease trigger reach. (Clearly not the only difference, but the one easiest for me to remember.)

I would put money on your gun NOT being a Turnbull job. Sorry to be a downer. I've seen a few old "Colt .45s" that were polished up in various ways, since they were just old surplus pistols at one point in time. It destroys any collector value and more than one person has been disappointed to learn Uncle Gary's "Colt .45 from The War" is only a $900-1200 pistol because he had it polished and blued, changed the sights, swapped the grips, did a trigger job, cut off the lanyard ring from the mainspring housing, etc.

What you have sounds exactly like the Uncle Gary's pistols I've seen. Probably a decent shooter and a nice heirloom from beloved family members.
Old April 6, 2019, 08:31 AM   #6
mikejonestkd

Turnbull does not list parkerization as one of their restoration finishes. There are literally a thousand other shops that could have refinished it. Enjoy the 1911A1.
Old April 6, 2019, 09:33 AM   #7
Dave T

Countless surplus Government Models have been turned into half-a$$ed target guns by adding adjustable rear sights, a taller front sight, maybe a fitted barrel or barrel bushing, and generally a trigger job. All this by local gunsmiths or someone's buddy who calls him self one.

Back in the '50s & '60s, when Bullseye target shooting was all the rage this was a cheep way to get a reasonably competitive center fire pistol.

Dave
Old April 6, 2019, 10:01 AM   #8
WC145

You'd know if Turnbull had a hand in it by the price. Their work is outstanding but it doesn't come cheap.

How about posting some pics so we can check it out?
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old April 7, 2019, 12:53 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...turned into half-a$$ed target guns..." And 'pin guns' and SD pistols, etc., etc. Any blued or aftermarket civilian parts says it all. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing though. Issue 1911A1's used to be relatively inexpensive entry level pistols.
"...extended mainspring housing..." Flat, not extended. Really a personal preference thing. The big give away that it's not a 1911 is the relieved frame behind the trigger though.