The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 12, 2000, 09:03 PM   #1
Jim V

I have two Norinco "Model of the 1911A1" pistols and the latest one bought is marked SAFARI SUPPLY INC. ONT CA. The first one I bought is marked S.S.I. ONT CA. Since my newest one has a lower SN than the older one, I think that the SAFARI markings were used first. Does any one know when the mrkings changed and why? It seem that I remember seeing Norincos marked CHINA SPORTS INC. ONT CA toward the end of the time they were being imported. Did SAFARI SUPPLY become first SSI and then CHINA SPORTS or were they different companies located in Ontario, CA?

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old June 12, 2000, 10:48 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Jim, I could be wrong here (and if I am anyone that knows better feel free to correct me) but I am showing Safari Arms as being their own manufacture and not simply an importer of Norinco firearms.
In 1978 Safari began manufacture in Olympia, WA. and was bought out by Olympic Arms in 1987, which may explain the changes in the markings.

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old June 13, 2000, 05:37 AM   #3
Jim V

Gunslinger, Not SAFARI ARMS but SAFARI SUPPLY. When I sent the first posting, I was reading the name off the frame of my "new" Norinco.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Old June 13, 2000, 08:06 AM   #4
Gunslinger

My mistake, sorry, so sorry. Shucks. now I'll have to burn up some ammo or buy a new gun in repentence. I just hate it when that happens.

For Norino I show they have had a few importers over the years but only the one in Ontario, CA.
Century International Arms Inc. in St. Albans, VT, China Sports Inc., in Ontario, CA. as stated, Interarms in Alexandria, VA. and KBI in Harrisburg, PA. No dates are given as to when any of the importers changed.

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old June 13, 2000, 11:20 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I guess I will get flamed, but what in heaven's name difference does it make? Importers change all the time as contracts expire, and companies change their names from time to time.

In addition, BATF will allow an importer to use an abbreviation only if it is approved by them (no conflict, etc.). I suspect the full name was used first until BATF gave approval to use the SSI abbreviation.

Jim
Old June 14, 2000, 12:57 AM   #6
Jim V

Jim, no flame, but I was just asking to satisfy my "need to know." I know the change was made sometime during the importation of 24,000 pistols +/- since that is the aprox. serial number spread between my two pistols.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum