The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 16, 2009, 05:14 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Turning in my C+R

Well, I quit my job last week.
I know 'so stupid, have you noticed how bad the economy is?'
Well, I was spiraling down b/c I wasn't all that into it and the economy/weird weather patterns were negatively effecting it to a pretty severe degree financially. FAMILY business issues. Plus, I really wasn't good at it. First time that ever happened to me at a job and it was pretty frustrating.

To the point:
Some MAJOR life changes ahead. Almost positive I will either be overseas working/student, active military, or if I can swing it, backpacking pipelines doing maintenance.

I am thinking that maintaining care custody and control of my C+R collections probably isn't worth the hassle in any of these situations. I would really like to transfer everything to my personal collection and then put it in the auction some of my other firearms will go in, but none of the items are over a year old, so I do not think I can.

IDK, I guess I just want to know what happens if I turn in a C+R.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:34 PM   #2
jonnyc

"transfer everything to my personal collection"

Not sure I understand this above, everything you buy on your C&R IS in your personal collection. By definition it CANNOT be considered as, or used as "for sale" stock. Any firearm you consign to an auction house, C&R or otherwise, must be transfered over to the dealer so that he can transfer it upon auction sale.
Old August 17, 2009, 08:30 AM   #3
jsmaye

jonnyc is right - it's your collection, not your inventory.
Old August 17, 2009, 09:33 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

My understanding is the auctioneer does not take legal possession of the firearm, he/she merely facilitates a person to person transaction. There would not be a transfer to a dealer.

Basically what I am thinking is I am screwed and will have to sell these to a pawn shop or something with an FFL at a great loss.
Old August 17, 2009, 11:46 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

To clarify something earlier, I thought I had a personal C+R collection and a personal collection(things that do not need to be logged).
Old August 17, 2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Orlando

There is no timeline on having a C&R firearm before you sell, thats a interent myth
If you sell them at auction you simply log them out to the buyer.
You do not turn in anything when you let the license expire on a C&R, read the regs its all in your packet

Why not list them on this fourm for sale?
Old August 25, 2009, 03:48 PM   #7
natimblue

I agree with Orlando, list the guns on a few of the boards. I know you will do MUCH better than a Pawn shop. Tim
Old August 25, 2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Wuchak

I kind of hate to say this but did you ever read any of the materials that came in your C&R packet? By your questions it sure doesn't seem like it.

Given the breadth of those three options you listed I'd say you've got no clue what your next step is. Good luck, whichever way you decide to go it will be an adventure.
Old August 26, 2009, 11:50 AM   #9
zxcvbob

I'm looking to buy a few C&R guns to testdrive my new license. I came to this forum to post a question about where's the best deals (I still may post that in another thread later)

What have you got? I'm especially interested in 7.62x25/.30 Mauser pistols (but not CZ-52), 9x18's, and turn-of-the-century S&W topbreak revolvers.

Best regards,
Bob
Old August 27, 2009, 04:14 AM   #10
BobbyT

7.62x25 pistols (but not the CZ-52) = TT-33/TTC.

I've had my CZ-52 a couple weeks and received my TTC the other day. Haven't shot the TTC but once you take it apart it's incredibly simple. The CZ takes about 10 seconds to take apart.

I expect both to be fantastic shooters with simple cleanup and no maintenance.
Old August 27, 2009, 06:56 AM   #11
csmsss

Quote:
Not necessarily. There are other C&R eligible pistols chambered for this cartridge like the C96 Mauser and Luger pistols, and probably plenty of others as well.
Old August 27, 2009, 12:48 PM   #12
zxcvbob

Started a new thread because I didn't mean to hijack this one.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=373826
Quote:
yes, those are the ones I'm looking at. Maybe a boomhandle Mauser someday, but not now.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:20 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
but did you ever read any of the materials that came in your C&R packet?
Well, yes. This really was not something I had worried about previously as I expected to own these firearms for a very long time. I really didn't
I think the way this is going to go is they are going to be gifted to people and maybe I will get them back in a few years when things settle down.

Inevitabl the K31 will be what gets traded off somewhere.
Old September 1, 2009, 01:27 AM   #14
medalguy

That'a a great idea, give them to a trusted friend to keep for you with the express understanding that they are YOURS and you will return for them one day. Don't sell unless you have to. I really regret a lot of guns I sold many years ago and now it would cost a fortune to replace them. I'm talking about back in the 1960's. Seen the old prices from that period? That will happen to today's guns in 50 years.