The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 8, 2009, 03:53 PM   #1
arkieron

US Ammunition Companies

I have a hard time believing that ammunition and component manufacturers are going at it 24/7 to supply a bunch of demand. Shelves are empty. If these are american made products, the companies are missing a good opportunity to stimulate our economy. I guess they don't need the money.
Old March 8, 2009, 06:51 PM   #2
ldpantoja

US Ammunition Companies

No, that's not it. They are just holding out. Causing a drought for when the prices go up.

Of course that's just my paranoid conspiracy theory, lol
Old March 8, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
armsmaster270

Also a lot of the time they are loading for the War effort but don't worry The Prez is going to stop that.
Old March 8, 2009, 07:08 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Ammunition companies are geared up to supply a certain amount of ammunition based on steady-state demand. When demand skyrockets they have two choices.

1. Keep producing at more or less normal rates, not adding any more floor space, employees or machinery but perhaps asking employees to work some overtime.

2. Buy or build more floorspace, add employees and buy new machinery.

Guess which choice leads to layoffs, financial losses and possible bankruptcy when demand returns to normal levels...

It's not like they can just go crank a knob and go from producing Z number of rounds in one day to producing 2 x Z number of rounds the next. Substantial increases in production require substantial investments. Investments which go down the toilet if demand drops back to normal levels in a few months or even a year or so.
Old March 8, 2009, 07:16 PM   #5
a7mmnut

Some places have plenty, some can't get any at all. I have a hard time believing most of them. After hearing from two Walmarts that they "just can't get any," I'm making a run to a busy shop that has over 20,000 rounds of 9mm at great prices. He may be out again before I get there. When shooters in general hoard 15-20,000 rounds of ammo in different calibers a piece, what do you expect? 2-3,000 per house ought to be a gracious plenty if you can shoot and practice deception maneuvers, right? Just like gas last year..................... -7-
Old March 8, 2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Swan Hunter

Heard on GunTalk

President of Remington said they were nearly running 24/6 and nothing left in warehouse. All out to fill back orders.
Old March 9, 2009, 09:23 AM   #7
ilbob

Its not like they can buy a couple Dillon presses and crank up their production.

The kind of machinery the big ammunition companies use to make ammunition with are custom made and take a while to get. There are not a whole lot of companies that make them, so even if you wanted to buy some, the chances of getting any real quick is not good.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.