The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 31, 2007, 09:16 AM   #1
bgrabast

Hopkins & Allen Revolver

I was just given a Hopkins & Allen revolver by my wife's aunt. The only thing I can find on the web that looks like this revolver is a .32 caliber. I think this is a .22 caliber possible .22 long and/or short. Is this possible? I cannot find a model number. The only number I can find is a number on the frame, the cylinder, and the barrel. These number match but I don't think they are a model number.

Thanks
Old May 31, 2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Scorch

Pictures??
Old May 31, 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

H&A made small revolvers in .22 and .32, as well as larger models in .38 and .44. The .32's were made in both rim fire and center fire. The .32 CF fires the cartridge known as the .32 S&W (or .32 S&W Short) and it is still made. It should be possible to tell if the gun is .22 or .32; if a common lead pencil fits the bore snugly, it is .32. The firing pin should tell if it is CF or RF.

H&A made good serviceable guns, but collector interest is not to the level of Colt or S&W. Most small H&A guns are of nominal value, bringing around $200 or so in top condition. In your case, of course, the value as a gift and heirloom will give it a lot more than the monetary value.

Unless the gun is in good shape, I don't recommend firing it. If you want, you can have it checked by a gunsmith, but as defense guns those little revolvers lack power and also tend to break fairly easily.

Jim
Old May 31, 2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

"and it is still made"

That tack on could be a bit confusing. It made me come up short for a moment.

Jim means that the ammunition is still made. The gun isn't.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 1, 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Correct, and sorry for the poor phrasing. It is the ammo that is still made; H&A went out of business in 1916, IIRC.

Jim
Old June 2, 2007, 10:12 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

The fine example of late 19th Century technology I have has the model number on the top of the frame near the cylinder. Mine is a 'Double Action No.6' in .32 S&W. I'd almost bet that the grips on it are worth more than the gun. It spent 40 or 50 years wrapped in a lightly oil cloth. it came from an aunt too. Who got it from her father. They're 1880's vintage apparently.
It'd be very obvious from the diameter of the bore if your's is a .22 or a .32.
There's absolutely no collector interest.
Yours look like this? http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=7905665
Old June 22, 2007, 10:06 AM   #7
bgrabast

Thanks everyone for the info.

I removed the cylinder and a 22 long rifle I have fit, which is what I thought. The only problem is the slug was past the end of the cylinder so it shots 22 longs and I think some of those old guns would shoot longs and shorts. Anyway a 22 rifle by grandfather had would. I don't know of any place to get longs or shorts anymore. It doesn't really matter I don't plan to shoot it. As someone mentioned the real value to me is it came from my wifes grandfather.